home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
willow13579
Studio

Default First Stay at Bay Lake Tower

My husband, my two daughters, and I are on our flight back right now. We booked a BLT lake view studio for this trip, but didn't make any special room requests. We had an early morning flight to Orlando, so we woke up around 4am to head to the airport. Surprisingly, we got a text telling us our room was ready while we were waiting to get on the DME bus to head to the resort. We were thrilled when we got to the room and found that we had views of MK.

After we dropped off our carry on bags we headed out to MK for a lunch reservation at Jungle Skipper Canteen. After that, we hung around MK, rode some rides, then skipped out just as the fireworks started. I went to the room to get settled while the husband and kids went to the pool.

While I was getting things settled in the room I opened the closet and a huge roach ran out. It ran around the room before running back under the closet door. I went down to the front desk and talked to someone who said they would send pest control up. I packed all of our things back up and sealed up what I could while I waited. Thirty or so minutes later, no one had come by or called so I went back to the front desk. By this time it was around 11pm and we had been up since 4am so I was admittedly a bit frustrated at this point. I talked to a lovely young woman and told her either pest control needs to come up soon or they need to move us to another room. She said she had to call the back office at the Contemporary, but that she wasn't able to move us and that she would get this taken care of for us. I went back up to the room to wait. The back office at the Contemporary did call us to say they were getting in touch with pest control and would send them up. Later they called us back and said pest control didn't know when they were going to be able to make it up so they were finally going to move us to another room. It was now around midnight. We made our way up to the new room. We lost our view of MK, but at least there were no roaches in this room (I checked). It took a couple more minutes for our luggage to be moved and our groceries delivered. We got the groceries put away then crashed.

I was not happy with how this was dealt with. I don't think we should have been expected to wait until midnight on the off chance that pest control could make it up that night. They should have moved us first then sent pest control up. This all took from around 10pm to midnight, so two hours of waiting. The lady at the front desk was very nice and apologetic, but it didn't seem like she was the ability to do anything for us, it all needed to be handled by the back office at the Contemporary and they handled it poorly.

Aside from that excitement, we had tons of dining reservations. This is the last year our older daughter is a "child" according to Disney, so we hit as many character buffets as possible.

We had a breakfast reservation at Akershus for 8am toward the end of the week. We left the Contemporary via monorail at around 7:20ish (as soon as the monorail opened). When we got to TTC the monorail for Epcot was down. After a bit of a wait they put us on a bus. We were 20 minutes late for our reservation. We still finished before the park opened, but Frozen Ever After was shut down that morning anyway, so our plan of jumping in line for that after breakfast didn't happen. We did have a FP+ for it later that day, so we got to ride it when it opened.

We did get to hit most of the mountains this trip. Splash kept shutting down, so we didn't get to ride it, but we rode BTM and Space a few times each. We also got to watch Happily Ever After from right in front of the Castle finally. It was amazing.

The kids also got to spend an evening at Pixar's PlayZone and they loved it. They got to meet Woody, Jessie, and Mr & Mrs Incredible. The kids said it was better than the kids club on the cruises, which for them is high praise.

We probably won't stay at BLT again. The customer service there was lacking and even though the walk to MK was nice in the morning, it wasn't so nice after a full day in the parks. The views of the lake and MK were stunning and the Community Hall was tons of fun.

Overall it was a really fun trip, even though there were a few hiccups.
willow13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Ugh on the roach, glad it was eventually handled.

Thanks for your summary, sounds like overall an enjoyable time.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Oh, NO! I cannot handle roaches. My fear is definitely at the paranoia level. Snakes, spiders, things that could actually kill me, no problem, but roaches? I probably would have jumped on the bed until it was hiding again, run to the front desk, and cried until I got a new room that DH would have to carefully search before I could even enter.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
willow13579
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaedeesmom View Post
Oh, NO! I cannot handle roaches. My fear is definitely at the paranoia level. Snakes, spiders, things that could actually kill me, no problem, but roaches? I probably would have jumped on the bed until it was hiding again, run to the front desk, and cried until I got a new room that DH would have to carefully search before I could even enter.

I'm not too squeamish when it comes to bugs, but I didn't want a roach getting into our things and following us home. I carefully went through everything I had already unpacked and our suitcases to make sure there were no uninvited guests following us to the new room and I was very thorough in my search of the new room.

The damn thing came out from under the Pack&Play, which makes me damn glad we never used one provided by the hotels when our kids were little.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Oh wow! That's not good at all with the roaches. Holy crap I would not be happy. I am working on writing DVC about our CCV stay and it's all positives. We got chocolates and cookies when our door was sticking (had to have 2 visits to fix). That was for a super minor thing!!!! Housekeeping for an egg that broke on our balcony (lots of birds there and it's really not that big of deal - we just had no way to clean it).

I'd not be happy at all with that kind of response.

Sorry again about Splash. It was pretty bad all week long with that ride. We managed on Thursday to get on it about 30 minutes after opening it was working. We checked many times for it though off and on before then. That and the Tiki Room were down often. I think Thursday so many rides were down simultaneously that we decided to give up and go back after lunch to the resort (we did).
Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
willow13579
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Oh wow! That's not good at all with the roaches. Holy crap I would not be happy. I am working on writing DVC about our CCV stay and it's all positives. We got chocolates and cookies when our door was sticking (had to have 2 visits to fix). That was for a super minor thing!!!! Housekeeping for an egg that broke on our balcony (lots of birds there and it's really not that big of deal - we just had no way to clean it).

I'd not be happy at all with that kind of response.

Sorry again about Splash. It was pretty bad all week long with that ride. We managed on Thursday to get on it about 30 minutes after opening it was working. We checked many times for it though off and on before then. That and the Tiki Room were down often. I think Thursday so many rides were down simultaneously that we decided to give up and go back after lunch to the resort (we did).
Yeah, I'll probably write in to DVC about the issues we experienced. They really dropped the ball on it.

Thursday was the day Splash shut down when the girls were next to board. We ended up getting two or three anytime passes Thursday because the rides kept shutting down. Space stayed up though so they just rode that over and over lol.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

Oh no way. Roaches are the worst. I can squish spiders w my bare hands, and dispose of snakes, and nod away wasps, but roaches, nope I with the pp who has a phobia...no idea why , maybe because my big brother used to chase me around with them when we were kids, and they were the big, flying, whoppers in S Louisiana. like their FL cousins.
Sorry it was handled so poorly too. That would be very frustrating, and that bad customer service it tainted the BLT experience as well. We love staying there. It's usually our second choice location.
Sorry bout ride closures too. We were there late May, and Splash had issues. Last time, we were lining up to load, when the whole thing went down, and folks were taken off.
Glad y'all got in some great meals and character dining. Where all did you go? We did that too, the last year DD could be a 'child,' . Thanks for sharing the TR!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow13579 View Post
Yeah, I'll probably write in to DVC about the issues we experienced. They really dropped the ball on it.

Thursday was the day Splash shut down when the girls were next to board. We ended up getting two or three anytime passes Thursday because the rides kept shutting down. Space stayed up though so they just rode that over and over lol.
What a bummer! We were in line right by the front for the Little Mermaid when it shut down. We were about to get out of the line when it started to move again. We were going to do CP again and that was down too. Thursday really wasn't a good day for MK. I was glad that was our last day and most of what we wanted was done.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I'm assuming seeing it was so late, pest control was not onsite. Not every department is available 24/7.
WDWGoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
willow13579
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
What a bummer! We were in line right by the front for the Little Mermaid when it shut down. We were about to get out of the line when it started to move again. We were going to do CP again and that was down too. Thursday really wasn't a good day for MK. I was glad that was our last day and most of what we wanted was done.
The good news was that the park did end up clearing out later Thursday so we got a prime spot for the fireworks. There also wasn't too long of a wait for snack and ice cream, so we finally got to try ice cream from The Plaza. The kids were really amazed that they got ice cream with a doughnut in it!