home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default A Quick Trip of 1sts (OKW, Studio, AK Moonlight Magic, etc.)

This is my 1st trip report, too, so please forgive me if I jump around!

The OKW studio was all that was available when I went to book this spur-of-the-moment trip when the MM dates were announced. I was less than enthused, and DH asked if we were waitlisted anywhere else b/c he didn't want to stay there. He's a BCV snob and never wants to stay anywhere else. We went in with low expectations. I fully expected to think that it was just okay or that this would be a one and done. But...we LOVED it there!! Things we liked; the resort feel vs the Disney feel, proximity to DS, relatively low crowds, Olivia's, and the individual buildings. We stayed at building 30 on Turtle Pond, so it was under a 10 min walk to HH. It was just me, DH, and DD (3 yo).

We arrived at OKW around 10:30am on Tues 5/15 morning. We were given the option of 3 different studios that were ready immediately . We were lucky enough to get a renovated room on the 1st floor, so maybe we would have been less satisfied with an "old" room on a higher floor. We dropped our stuff in the room and went off to MK. The bus stop was an easy walk, and we never waited longer than 10 mins. On the trip over to MK, I filled my Prime Now cart so I could place the order on our way back to the room. BTW, Prime Now went off without a hitch, and they delivered straight to our room!

Wed was a leisurely morning, pool, tried to get 3 yo to nap (no dice), dinner at Splitsville (meh), and then to AK for MM. It was awesome, and I would definitely do it again! It's the closest thing we'll ever get to feeling like we had the park to ourselves. There were moments where we didn't hear anyone else or couldn't see anyone else. DD fell asleep on the bus ride over to AK, so we were kind of just walking around til she woke up. The Tree of Life show was beautiful, and I didn't know they did that, so that was a nice surprise! They gave us 3 passes for carnival games, and we played 3 games after riding the kiddie ride in DinoLand. We didn't win anything, but I think DD had fun playing something we'd never normally do.

We hit the pool Wed-Fri afternoons. I actually did laundry on Fri, and that worked out better than I thought it would. I kept thinking that we wouldn't get an open washer, but we did.

Our DD just went under water for the 1st time the weekend before in swim lessons. By the end of this trip, I was telling her to stop going under so much! And she was independently jumping off the side of the pool by Fri, yet 2 days prior she wouldn't even shimmy off the side of the pool while sitting and holding my hand. I am still amazed how fast she progressed on this trip!

We're used to going in the fall, and this was our 1st spring trip. The rain was just awful, but what can you do? A CM in one of our Minnie Van rides said it was unusual to be this rainy and awful.

We are going back in Nov w/my mom and doing a split stay BCV (2 studios) & AKV Kidani (2 BR). I tried to get OKW for the 2BR but it's booked So it'll be 3 trips on this one annual pass. No plans for 2019 but will definitely be back in 2020!

1sts - studio, OKW, AK MM, Shula's Steakhouse, Olivia's, Minnie Van, Uber + car seat, Mickey's Backyard BBQ, and Barnstormer.

I think that a studio isn't going to work for us in the future. DD is a sleeper, and it's awful sitting in a dark room trying not to wake her up for hours at a time. I pointed this out to DH and said we had to get more points. He said okay but I think cooler heads must prevail here. No way we can keep up 2-3 trips per year...or can we
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! It's always fun to try new resorts and experience other Disney "firsts." I also agree about the studios. Along with the separate sleeping area, 1BR and up also have a full kitchen and washer/dryer. SOOOO handy with a little one! Thanks for sharing, and happy planning for your next adventure!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
JCinWonderland
Two Bedroom

Great trip report and great trip (sans rain)! You made me laugh about sitting in the dark room for hours trying not to wake DD! Oh boy have we been there! Or quarantined in the bathroom (a makeshift living room) with a bottle of wine, while the LO sleeps. Get those extra points now, while the experience of sitting in the dark in silence is still fresh in DHís head! You know once a year isnít going to cut it.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

It sounds like you had a great trip despite the rain. Your descriptions of OKW made me smile because I understand the feeling of falling in love with it there. You hit the nail on the head about the different feel there, especially coming back from a day/night in the parks, the pleasant boat ride to DS, and Olivia's of course.
Buying an AP makes 2 or 3 trips a year more manageable even though we had to add on in order to do it.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary, glad you enjoyed your trip!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Kayhollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
Or quarantined in the bathroom (a makeshift living room) with a bottle of wine, while the LO sleeps. Get those extra points now, while the experience of sitting in the dark in silence is still fresh in DHís head! You know once a year isnít going to cut it.
Why didn't I think of bathroom/living room??? And you're right, once a year isn't going to cut it. I know it but I'm still trying to fight it

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
Buying an AP makes 2 or 3 trips a year more manageable even though we had to add on in order to do it.
I'm going to have to add on if we try to go more than once a year, especially if we bring my mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Along with the separate sleeping area, 1BR and up also have a full kitchen and washer/dryer. SOOOO handy with a little one!
I couldn't agree more! Last trip, DD got sick at Prime Time 50s Cafe. So thankful for the W&D!! I also like having the full kitchen vs the kitchenette.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhollywood View Post
Why didn't I think of bathroom/living room??? And you're right, once a year isn't going to cut it. I know it but I'm still trying to fight it

I'm going to have to add on if we try to go more than once a year, especially if we bring my mom!

I couldn't agree more! Last trip, DD got sick at Prime Time 50s Cafe. So thankful for the W&D!! I also like having the full kitchen vs the kitchenette.
Definitely a plus for us! DD and I took a quick girls trip last month for the AK MM party. We stayed at Jambo for the first time, and really loved it. However, DD (22 and a total princess) informed me that we have to look for another contract because we ďarenít really studio peopleĒ. In other words, she wanted the kitchen, w/d and jetted tub that she thinks she is entitled to...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Kayhollywood

Quote:
However, DD (22 and a total princess) informed me that we have to look for another contract because we ďarenít really studio peopleĒ. In other words, she wanted the kitchen, w/d and jetted tub that she thinks she is entitled to...
too funny!!!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
However, DD (22 and a total princess) informed me that we have to look for another contract because we ďarenít really studio peopleĒ. In other words, she wanted the kitchen, w/d and jetted tub that she thinks she is entitled to...
I'd say that you were describing our DD except that she's 31...
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Great trip report! So glad you were happily surprised by OKW. Our first two contracts and we love it there. Get more points, you will want the option of 1 bedrooms and 2 when mom is traveling with you. Do it now while itís fresh in your husbands mind.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote