home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #21
missa986
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
V&As called me a few days (a week?) before to ask about food allergies. I told them I was doing Keto, and asked that they swap out potatoes, high sugar foods, etc for me. I was doing really well at the beach, but I completely caved at WDW because we were walking over 10 Miles a day, and I was dragging. However, it gave my DH and I an opportunity to try both regular and Keto options at V&As since we essentially got different accompaniments that we could share. If you have a true food allergy, theyll follow it. We were completely stuffed! Also, they space out the meal so that you can enjoy the food since it is so many courses. My DH upgraded to the Wagyu beef. He loved it. I preferred the Kobe-style beef that came with the meal. Im not a person who loves the more fatty beef though. I cut off fat from steak because I dont like the taste. Some people love it though. Just a tip in case youre debating which one to do. The experience and food were amazing though. You wont regret eating there!
Oh! I need to hear more!

I've been to V&A twice and I'm going with my parents and sister in the fall. My doctor has put me on a strict Keto diet to treat a neuroimmune and central nervous system condition. I just called yesterday and added a note to all my ressies, including V&A.

How was the Keto meal? What types of dishes did you get? Were they just different versions of what your DH got? What did they do with dessert? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting started on Keto and I have no idea what to expect.

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
So NBC was a great place to eat? and what did you think of Portofino?
we've stayed at the other two, but not Portofino. We were concerned about it being so far to walk from the parks, but it looks so nice!

Glad y'all had a great time!!!!
That NBC Grill & Brew was a random, "Hey we just got off the boat here, let's grab some lunch," decision. It wasn't planned out at all. They know how to cook a burger for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
Since you mentioned the horns at the Poly, can you tell me which building you were staying in? Was your room close to the lagoon? We have never stayed there and are going to stay in a studio in July and I have requested the Tokelau building. Maybe I should request to be at the end away from the water/boats.
We stayed in the Moorea building in a lake view studio. The view was amazing, but the boat horn was obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
Sounds like a great trip! How was Whispering Canyon? Toned down from the past, or still its same antics?
This was out first time there. They still did the ketchup thing. Also, the waiter threw the napkins and the straws on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa986 View Post
How was the Keto meal? What types of dishes did you get? Were they just different versions of what your DH got? What did they do with dessert? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting started on Keto and I have no idea what to expect.
The dishes were mostly the same since it was all meat and fish. They had bread service and said I could pass if I wanted to. This was probably my most non-Keto meal while there because of me, not V&A's. I ordered the wine pairing, ate bread, etc. However, they did swap out some potato side with a delicious zucchini side among other things. Also, there were just random difference in our dishes that, I'm sorry to say, I cannot describe. I was drinking wine... They were different though. They'll verify with you on that phone call as well as when you first sit down. Realize my Keto diet is to lose weight and stop eating so many carbs rather than an actual health concern. I can only imagine that they will be very sensitive if you are on it for actual health reasons. They asked on that phone call about any and all food allergies, so I think they'll do right by you. My request was more of a "I'm on the diet, but I know I'll eat some carbs. Any little changes you can make, I would appreciate it." And they did! I hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Thanks for the Universal info too. We might go back in Oct, still debating. So NBC was a great place to eat? and what did you think of Portofino?
we've stayed at the other two, but not Portofino. We were concerned about it being so far to walk from the parks, but it looks so nice!
Sorry I never answered the part about the Portofino. The boat was almost always there waiting for people to load and never over crowded. It is a quick 6 minute boat ride between the resort and the parks. If the boat can not operate because of weather, you can take a bus. We were always able to use the boat, so I cannot comment on the bus. It honestly was so easy to get back and forth between the two that we would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
FCivish3
Studio

Default Family Vacations at Disney World

We have never spent as long at Disney World as you have. 7 or 8 days at a time is our limit, but 4 or 5 days is more common. Still, we make up for it by going a lot.

I know some people will say that loving Disney is 'shallow' and that we have bargained our souls to some corporate giant, but I think Disney represents some of the best things about the human race. And hope for our future. My 3 year old grand daughter eats, sleeps and drinks Disney, and I have to admit, it made me proud when one time she turned to us and said, "I am a Disney Kid!"
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote