home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #21
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Or the pre-planning that we force on ourselves if we decide to pre-plan. Until this recent change one could wander parks freely with no planning at all. And make FP reservations only for things one felt they had to do. Olly as much planning as one felt that they needed.

As to the "talk" of this remaining beyond he pandemic, not sure Ive seen anything more than random speculation.

Cheers.

Agreed completely. For parties of 1-2 still easy to make ADRs day before or even day of, and make FastPasses (or not) as one wishes. Only if the current non-hopping shit continues am I at all concerned.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #22
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
and with apologies to The Seekers (and Ecclesiastes):
A time to buy, and a time to sell.

Dirk
Wow, what a journey traveled. I can only imagine the amount of experiences lived, memories created, and dreams fulfilled with your numerous years at Disney.

For us, we bought Disney expecting an exit plan some day. You just can't guess where 50 years is going to take you. From the numerous posts of yours I have read, always clear in thought, I can only assume that the feeling of letting go is bitter sweet.

Of course, even after such a nice post, you could always change your mind and no one would hold it against you.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #23
hilaw
Grand Villa

I'll develop a new term for OP "re-addonitis"
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
Wow, what a journey traveled. I can only imagine the amount of experiences lived, memories created, and dreams fulfilled with your numerous years at Disney.

For us, we bought Disney expecting an exit plan some day. You just can't guess where 50 years is going to take you. From the numerous posts of yours I have read, always clear in thought, I can only assume that the feeling of letting go is bitter sweet.

Of course, even after such a nice post, you could always change your mind and no one would hold it against you.
The people with dibs on our contracts probably would.

It is bitter-sweet. I'm just looking at pics from our 2015 trip. But letting go is paired with the reality that our choices right now are to repeat what we've done or do new things. The soul wants the familiarity of the past, but also new things, so new things will lead to more joy and growth. And, eventually, we'll get back to the familiar, and not too far down the road, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
Hah! Unless things change, it would also make us dreaded owners of the "White Card." Ironies.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #25
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I feel sad and happy for you at the same time! It obviously was a hard decision however I feel certain you will enjoy the sense of "freedom" and all your new destinations. FWIW - Norway is great. Expensive but great. If you can track down any family it's really quite an experience. Ours have been extremely welcoming even if we really didn't know them.

I've been in a mental prep-mode to downsize a little but we do have family with small children that I enjoy taking to WDW so we're not on a close out of DVC. It all gets some evaluation every time Disney makes any drastic changes as uber planning is just not my thing. Disney was the easy trip to take and I still try and make it that way but there are a few things that you just can't do that with now like FOP and don't get me started on the very unfriendly guest aspect of RoTR.

Just to throw it out there whenever you do go back - we used to stay off site years and years ago and it has it's own pluses IMO. Then WDW is a day option and you also explore more of the surrounding Orlando area.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #26
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
Or in the Disney spirit and un birthday....un addonitis! LOL!!

Yep, we 2 adults can work around the pre planning thing. Mostly. Sometimes we like to eat places that are tough to get so we have to plan or sometimes we're with in laws and have a larger party where it's also best to plan. And if you want to ride some of your fave rides, like FOP for me, then you also must plan. But because we go often we can scrap the plans if we want and say 'we can do it next time'. Which is why I haven't ridden FOP for the last like 4 trips

DH and I realized, though, if we want to have a leisurely vacay where we stroll around, eat/drink, people watch and sight see at our own pace... that we can do that at new 'to us' places and have more enjoyment. And less structure.

But we do still love Epcot and the festivals because it gets us more of that style mentioned above. So we will keep enough points to do that once a year. ANd then, down the line, we may have grandkids (hopefully) and will want to show them WDW the commando way we used to do.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

I think you have thought this out and sounds like you made the best decision for you and Jim. Wishing you and Jim the best. Disney will be there and you can always go with or without DVC.

Happy to read you will be hanging around us MO

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #28
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

For some reason I'm sad to hear this but totally understand.

Covid has me reevaluating our vacation planning and realizing I should be spending more time with my parents while they are still alive (they have little interest in Disney and don't plan far enough in advance to join us anyway).

My purchase of a BWV add-on last fall was ill-timed. I see DW and I taking more frequent, shorter trips to WDW like BRP but not until the kids are done with school and that is 8 years away.

I have more VGC points then I need and should shed a contract but they (Covid notwithstanding) have been very easy to rent.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

Dirk we bought SSR the same year you did (I think?) I just sold it this week as well. We are down to our DRR for 175 points and will hold here. We really enjoy the resort and we are a semi-quick road trip from Vero. Right now it works for us. If I could haven seen into the future in Jan 2020 I certainly would have not bought it---but hindsight is 20/20. WE LOVE WDW and it brings us that escape, but it is easy for us being locals. I can certainly understand the burden of long distances here and the time commitment when there is so much else to try to fit in.

I absolutely understand your feelings on aging and life left. There is a big world out there and if living in Covid as a RN has taught me is that good health is not promised to any of us. Go and ROAM! But be sure and share all our incredible adventures you and Jim will have.
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:00 PM   #30
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

I am so happy that you are still going to be around, even though you won't be an owner anymore. The entire time I was reading your post, I was afraid it was going to end with a farewell. Your posts are always well thought out. I enjoy your perspective and common sense moderating. Best of luck to you in your future travels.

P.S. I'm not quite as old as Jim, but IMO, he still has several years left to enjoy traveling with you!
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote