home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Well justified decision When we had the travel bug it was exciting to plan 3 or 4 months out
Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Really the reason that Disney still works for us is that, as time goes on, we plan less and less (so we don't feel the increasing planning need that their changes have brought on) have less and less that we need to do. We're happy to be in parks just wandering around (just as we do when we visit, say, New York and have no planned agenda). Until now that took pretty much no planning. Yeah, we did do FP+ but, if we didn't get something, we didn't get it.

But we could go to multiple parks as we felt. Recent changes, if temporary, we can live with for now. if they really try to make this stick, our contracts will follow suit

Cheers.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #13
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I think a lot of owners that have been around a while (you and I both bought SSR in 2006) are feeling many of the same feelings. It sounds like you and Jim made a great decision that fits your needs. Congratulations!

Where I'm Going 2020:
Aulani - Sunday, December 20 - Friday, January 1, 2021
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Really the reason that Disney still works for us is that, as time goes on, we plan less and less (so we don't feel the increasing planning need that their changes have brought on) have less and less that we need to do. We're happy to be in parks just wandering around (just as we do when we visit, say, New York and have no planned agenda). Until now that took pretty much no planning. Yeah, we did do FP+ but, if we didn't get something, we didn't get it.

But we could go to multiple parks as we felt. Recent changes, if temporary, we can live with for now. if they really try to make this stick, our contracts will follow suit

Cheers.
You have a great way that works for you, too. You go 2 - 3 times a year and for short stays. There is always something on the horizon for you guys, and I think that's one of the great things that DVC offers. We've been like that in years where something Disney was happening every 4-6 months.

Overall, though, the "Four Seasons of Disney" is rare for us. We generally still take major trips, so they become all-in experiences for us. Instead of using our points to go more frequently, we used our points to expand to 1 BRs.

Ironically, that may well have been part of the kiss of death. We realized we may have it backwards - do AirBnB or other vacation rentals with laundry, etc., for non-Disney vacations, and just a studio or hotel room stay for Disney. Let Disney be about the parks, and other vacations about the relaxation.

All this is subjective and I'm referring only to how we do it.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I think a lot of owners that have been around a while (you and I both bought SSR in 2006) are feeling many of the same feelings. It sounds like you and Jim made a great decision that fits your needs. Congratulations!
The sad thing in this is that there is indeed a crowd of us with similar feelings. For us, I think "familiarity breeds contempt" is also part of the calculus. Maybe we've gone just a little too much. That could well be why Disneyland is better for us - we get there only every three to five years.

There is still something that is changing, though, and I think we need to to have bit of distance in order to appreciate what's coming next. I'm still not over losing Spectromagic! And Illuminations closing (and now Rivers of Light), makes me a little concerned that Disney of today is less interested in "Big Thoughts" (stories that really connect at a fundamental or philosophical level, attractions that offer jaw-dropping invention and novelty) and more interested in "Fun and Cute." It was those "Big Thoughts" that kept us engaged and wanting more. Just a bunch of fun stuff? We can enjoy it, but don't have to come back as frequently, because there's lots of fun stuff in this world.

The recent attractions do have some jaw dropping elements, so I'm encouraged there, but man, it's so hard to experience them!! (FoP, RotR, etc.)

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

So-- You're adults without kids and still enjoying Disney. That's awesome! If you aren't looking to pass these on to someone, it makes perfect sense to liquidate them and close out any loans so you can have a nice liquid cash situation to do whatever you want with. Like you know, you can always go to Disney. Doesn't even have to be DVC... You can always get a good old room package. This is nice to do sometimes and be a "guest" instead of a "resident" it's a little different feeling. We were fortunate to do a 2-bedroom suite at the Boardwalk (not the 2B DVC, the 2B Hotel Suite) and it was wonderful. You could also try one of the unique suites at the Poly.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Let's also not forget all the pre-planning that has been forced on us. Now there is talk of keeping the park resie system. So months out from your trip everything is planned out to a T (what's next, bathroom breaks??). Probably good for the once in a life timers or the families with littles. But us adult DVC-ers...we like to arrive and wing it. Go, do, eat where we fancy. Also as Dirk said....all the add on things are good to maybe add something new each trip but they are at a cost and we're already paying a lot. So many good points in this thread.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Let's also not forget all the pre-planning that has been forced on us. Now there is talk of keeping the park resie system. So months out from your trip everything is planned out to a T (what's next, bathroom breaks??). Probably good for the once in a life timers or the families with littles. But us adult DVC-ers...we like to arrive and wing it. Go, do, eat where we fancy. Also as Dirk said....all the add on things are good to maybe add something new each trip but they are at a cost and we're already paying a lot. So many good points in this thread.
Kids make planning out harder. I know too many who needed a TA to go on a trip to plan it out. It's not universally well loved by all. I have a lot of friends with families who rarely go and the differences between Disney and Universal are huge. I wish I liked 3d rides more but they are blurry so USF isn't huge on my list.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Dirk, glad you and Jim made the decision that was best for you. Best wishes with everything. Looking forward to future trip reports... of any kind. Especially now.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #20
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Let's also not forget all the pre-planning that has been forced on us. Now there is talk of keeping the park resie system.
Or the pre-planning that we force on ourselves if we decide to pre-plan. Until this recent change one could wander parks freely with no planning at all. And make FP reservations only for things one felt they had to do. Olly as much planning as one felt that they needed.

As to the "talk" of this remaining beyond he pandemic, not sure Ive seen anything more than random speculation.

Cheers.