home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #101
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne122679 View Post
I'm glad you're sticking around on the boards. I've enjoyed reading your posts throughout the years.

One thing I've learned due to covid is there is a great big world, and I want the kids to see more of it. Disney World had become our go-to place because it is a relatively cheap vacation. Rooms are already paid because of DVC, and we have APs, so that's not an immediate out of pocket expense. The kids no longer need or want everything with a Mickey on it, so our expenses for a Disney vacation are food and transportation. We, too, fell into the trap of we'd like to go other places, however, we have these points, and we have APs, so we may as well go to Disney. We ended up having to cancel two Disney trips this year. My family is going stir crazy from staying home, so we decided to plan other trips to different locations, and we purchased an RV to explore new areas. We found a campsite at Ft. Wilderness in October, so we're going to see what Disney is like with the restrictions in place. We're going to see what the future holds, but if the reservation system stays in place, and if taking a vacation becomes even more planning than it is now, we will be downsizing our points. We might keep enough to take a trip every other year, and if we get the itch to go we can find a campsite somewhere and rent a car. Disney is fun, and we've made loads of memories there, but I'm getting burned out on the pre-planning. We like to wing it, and it's becoming harder to do that.
One of the best things we did last Christmas was tour the campgrounds to see all the decorations. I guess Halloween is phenomenal for decorations. I hope you enjoy your new adventure.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #102
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Our family came from outside of Kongsburg.
I suspect you mean KŲnigsberg, a city formerly in East Germany that is now the Russian city Kaliningrad. If not, where is Kongsburg?
Old 09-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #103
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINDVC View Post
Ouch...But a mortgage on a DVC purchase would not be readily recommended I donít think. 🤗
I mean this in a friendly way, not a cross way.

I think itís a fine topic for people to share their thoughts in general and whatís right for them. I think once it becomes personal to somebody elseís decision, then itís over-stepping. Weíre all adults. We all know our personal situations best. We all are responsible for our own decisions.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #104
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Hmmm - dare I ask what your Families last name is? If the book was done in the 80's then probably not the same however.....

We are in the book of Lund. Family members have some pretty funny stories about running into other extended family at seminars etc.
Mathieson according to the immigration rolls. Matthison in our family names. The history goes back to the 1700s but the US linkage starts in the 1880s.

Most are in the Midwest and West Coast, so we donít bump into each other that much.

Itís fun going through our own family tree and seeing very Scandavaian names. Harald Matthison Lindstrom, Christian Ludwig, Ingeborg Friegor, etc. My name is downright pedestrian in comparison. Funny note: My middle name is Christian, which is amusing as a priest, but Iím named after my great grandfather!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #105
mcbuckeye
Two Bedroom

Dirk, congratulations on your decision and best of luck getting it closed. We had 3 contracts at BLT from when it was brand new. I hated to part with them over the past five years, with the last contract sold about 2 years ago.

We have had to pay for our kids to go to college (6 total, with the third just starting this year), so that became the priority.

I definitely miss DVC and frequent Disney trips. Especially because our youngest (boy-girl twins, now 12) haven't been to WDW nearly as much as their older siblings were during their prime years.

Anyway, I still check in here pretty regularly even though we are no longer DVC members.

I hope to continue to see you around too. I've always enjoyed your wisdom and perspective on many topics.

Best,

Steve
mcbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #106
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I suspect you mean KŲnigsberg, a city formerly in East Germany that is now the Russian city Kaliningrad. If not, where is Kongsburg?
Nope but I see I did mistype:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongsberg

Eftelot is the name of the municipality south of Kongsberg where the family farm was.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #107
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Mathieson according to the immigration rolls. Matthison in our family names. The history goes back to the 1700s but the US linkage starts in the 1880s.

Most are in the Midwest and West Coast, so we donít bump into each other that much.

Itís fun going through our own family tree and seeing very Scandavaian names. Harald Matthison Lindstrom, Christian Ludwig, Ingeborg Friegor, etc. My name is downright pedestrian in comparison. Funny note: My middle name is Christian, which is amusing as a priest, but Iím named after my great grandfather!

Dirk
Ours seems to have been started from other works and traced back to the mid 1600's and the first emigration was in the 1850's to MN. It is fun to read thru. My grandmother was Olga so pretty Norwegian. That's funny on your middle name - sometimes a given name just ends up fitting!
Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #108
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I am shocked and dumbfounded......I go away for 5 days to Disney World and this is the very first thread I see.

Dirk this is the right decision for the "now" of your life, for you and Jim. Where this decision leads you both, who knows? Over the years, I have seen this happen many times. After a years, some have never looked back and some have come back.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #109
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
This has been the hardest for me to admit because I've not been negative on Iger. However, once we started talking about our trips and what made them special, we realize some of that was already gone or very well could be. What's made the last few trips special has been dining with friends (can be done anywhere) or up-charge experiences.

I'm not down on WDW or done with it by any imagination, but I do think we'll savor the place more with less frequency, at least for a few years. If the pandemic hadn't happened, I'm sure we would have just kept on going as we were, but that brought everything into sharp relief for us.

I'm reading a book on something totally unrelated. It was noted that "What is important to you is something for which you would willingly give something else up in order to do it." I wasn't in a place where I was willing give up something more to do Disney, and I was willing to give up Disney to do something else.

Dirk
In behavioral studies that is referred to "trading up" which is a substitution behavior related to ranking items in a priority matter of worth.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #110
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINDVC View Post
Ouch...But a mortgage on a DVC purchase would not be readily recommended I donít think. 🤗
We financed our first DVC purchase of 100 DVC points for AKL at $115/month and we spend more than that in dinner out any given night. We paid off the 10 year loan in 3 years so judgement is abated.
Leave Dirk alone; he's a big boy and can make his own decisions (as can I) .
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote