home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I was just referring to the bigger the fan the less someone would like it. I think that is generalization. Not in a good or bad way.

And I totally agree with the bombers in space. Wtf were they thinking with that script. The slowest possible ship with no defense going up against the elite dreadnought.
Just get an a-wing and drop a few bombs.
Just saying bad script with the new franchise.

And my mind can definitely be changed. Before 1997 I never wanted to go to wdw. Thought it was great adventure with Micky walking around. Very easy to be proven wrong. But numbers after the weekend will let us know. In China the tickets were very low. Painfully low.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18. ASM 19

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #22
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
I was just referring to the bigger the fan the less someone would like it. I think that is generalization. Not in a good or bad way.

And I totally agree with the bombers in space. Wtf were they thinking with that script. The slowest possible ship with no defense going up against the elite dreadnought.
Just get an a-wing and drop a few bombs.
Just saying bad script with the new franchise.

And my mind can definitely be changed. Before 1997 I never wanted to go to wdw. Thought it was great adventure with Micky walking around. Very easy to be proven wrong. But numbers after the weekend will let us know. In China the tickets were very low. Painfully low.
Fair enough. You should see Hans Solo expecting to hate it, and it might not end up as bad as you expect. Of course, you might end up wasting $8.

Bombers in space... rofl, that's just the beginning of bad writing on that one. Since there is no resistance in space, you would require zero fuel to continue your current speed. So a space chase... is just... silly. Star Wars is a space fantasy, and you just have to step back and take it for what it is.

However, if you like Ron Howard as a director, Hans definitely delivers a story equal to any of his films.

p..s.
On the original star wars, it always bothered me, even at 9 years old, that Hans says "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. " Yet, clearly, jedi master were around in droves not so long ago. Did they not have media or TV? really? I don't need to encounter a komodo dragon to believe in komodo dragon.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Well a new hope was originally written without the intention of a sequel. Or even 2.

And your point is exactly what I discussed with many people for years.

Back story... Lucas couldn't even get his own back story to be consistent.

Originally the Jedi order lasted a 1,000 generations.
Then it was written in the prequel to 1,000 years. What? Couldn't one person tell George he got his own script incorrect? Nope. Just hash out crappy dialogue and get to the over the top super practiced light saber battle. And why is there always a "dropped the lightsaber" sceen? Who came up with that idea?

I will see solo. Just not opening weekend. I don't want my ticket sales to add to the opening weekend. Hopefully a decline in tickets will help to change the franchise. Vegetarian wookie....I'll never get over that.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #24
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

We enjoyed it. DH was more worried about it beforehand, but he liked it. Without spoilers, it answers quite a bit of backstories, and I enjoyed them. I've well learned to keep my expectations in check . I did not like Last Jedi. I did enjoy it better after I finally (after many months) watched it again, but over all, I couldn't stand the direction of it or most of the script. Solo was good. I was very pleasantly surprised by the acting, considering the bad press about it. It's Not the best, but entertaining , and happy to get some things resolved . There are several references fans will enjoy.

Last edited by Jedimom3; 05-27-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #25
Rigby
Banned

We had a blast! Thought he was solid as Han. Really felt this one was for the fans. So many in-jokes. Also experienced a very empty theater. Saturday night Imax, thought it would be packed. I hope positive word of mouth helps it along.
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #26
melk
Grand Villa

Just saw it tonight and we liked it, didn't love it. But I liked getting the backstory with Chewbacca and I thought Lando was spot on.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:58 AM   #27
BobParr
One Bedroom

To multiple posters: it's "Han" not "Hans."

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread...
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #28
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Enjoyable and liked it but also didn't love it. As has happened with most of the new movies I found elements of the story difficult to reconcile with the characters from the original. Have these directors and producers even watched them is my question? Or maybe it's just the change in "cannon" which tosses certain aspects out the window. And who knew that someone in a big furry suit could so obviously be a different actor! I thought it stood out more here than others. But that of course has to be and was just a side note. The character was pretty true to my expectations of Chewbacca but obviously not Peter Mayhew.

When they've done a change in direction like the did with this it always leaves me then wanting to see what it was originally to compare.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Enjoyable and liked it but also didn't love it. As has happened with most of the new movies I found elements of the story difficult to reconcile with the characters from the original. Have these directors and producers even watched them is my question? Or maybe it's just the change in "cannon" which tosses certain aspects out the window. And who knew that someone in a big furry suit could so obviously be a different actor! I thought it stood out more here than others. But that of course has to be and was just a side note. The character was pretty true to my expectations of Chewbacca but obviously not Peter Mayhew.

When they've done a change in direction like the did with this it always leaves me then wanting to see what it was originally to compare.
Your point about if the director even seen the original?

Kathleen Kennedy is in charge. She changed out directors who wanted to change script or character. Her ajendas take priority over story or cannon. She has been quoted in interviews that she is not making star wars for the target demographic. She wants to reach other markets? Why would you alienate the target audience?

That's why han isn't a pirate anymore. He is a hero. Or hero-ish. Lando being pansexual? Please.
People identify with characters for other reasons. Not because of the sexuality of the character. Han was cool because at the last minute he thought beyond himself and helped Luke and the rebellion. (Not resistance...why change that too?) It was rebel scum. Not resistance scum. It was a great character arc.

It's a soy based movie to appeal to everyone and everything. It can still be a ok movie but it could be great.
Hey bottom line it's Disney...if they can get a profit then they will pump out. Movie after movie...the issues is not having star wars available is also what made it special. Now it's too much to fast. The committed to making all these movies and the story suffers because of release dates. I'd rather wait 2 years for a new movie if it's a great movie.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Your point about if the director even seen the original?

Kathleen Kennedy is in charge. She changed out directors who wanted to change script or character. Her ajendas take priority over story or cannon. She has been quoted in interviews that she is not making star wars for the target demographic. She wants to reach other markets? Why would you alienate the target audience?

That's why han isn't a pirate anymore. He is a hero. Or hero-ish. Lando being pansexual? Please.
People identify with characters for other reasons. Not because of the sexuality of the character. Han was cool because at the last minute he thought beyond himself and helped Luke and the rebellion. (Not resistance...why change that too?) It was rebel scum. Not resistance scum. It was a great character arc.

It's a soy based movie to appeal to everyone and everything. It can still be a ok movie but it could be great.
Hey bottom line it's Disney...if they can get a profit then they will pump out. Movie after movie...the issues is not having star wars available is also what made it special. Now it's too much to fast. The committed to making all these movies and the story suffers because of release dates. I'd rather wait 2 years for a new movie if it's a great movie.
I don't buy the too much, too fast. Good movies and good stories will always be fine. How on earth do TV shows work over long hauls if that's not true. You get invested in the characters and their stories as happened with Star Wars. These things don't have to be spread almost 30 years apart to work. But I do agree with several of your other points. However I have a difficult time believing that Ron Howard would just toss aside character aspects (Han) per Kennedy. Maybe other less established directors but that disbelief is the reason for my comment on if they watched the originals. I know that of course they did.