home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

I am really interested in seeing how this goes. No chance I am paying $30 to see it, but I am super curious how this turns out. I am skeptical it will be close to movie sales, but hey, the world doesn't revolve the way I see it.

I have an excellent setup with 4k 80" surround sound, etc. I do love the experience of going to the movies, so I prefer to go to the movies when I can. But no to a $30 rental.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #52
Loro
Grand Villa

Also, for me and I'm sure some others, I have A-List for when theaters open again. Seeing Mulan is included with that for me, even in Dolby or IMAX theaters. I got A-List so I could watch as many movies as I want with that type of setup for about $22/mo. $30 is too much for one movie. $15-20 would be far more reasonable, especially since it's streamed and going to be very reliant on people's home internet and entertainment setups for quality.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #53
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Anyone who was going to see Mulan on the theaters should find the price point acceptable for first-viewing. Those who were prepared to wait, not so much.

However, people are thirsting for new content. This has the potential to be a really well done blockbuster. And itís Disneyís way of adapting to new realities. Theaters are not going to open up for blockbusters before next year and production is nearly halted on everything. (I hope nobody is excited about new shows this fall, I canít see how they are going to happen, at least not without a very delayed start to the season.)

Looking at the big picture: Disney is prepared to kill the movie theater system. Iger wanted to do something similar seven years ago or so, with releasing DVD on opening day for the screen.

If this goes well, Disney could make as much off of this as they could if they released of theaters. And it will show the power of Disney+.

Honestly, we might even watch it opening night since two tickets for us would normally be $38 plus soda and popcorn.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #54
mcbuckeye
Two Bedroom

If Trolls World Tour can do $100 million in rentals at $19.99 a pop (embarrassingly including my family), Mulan has a good chance.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...od-11588066202
mcbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #55
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Anyone who was going to see Mulan on the theaters should find the price point acceptable for first-viewing. Those who were prepared to wait, not so much.
Except that seeing it on Disney+ is less of a value than seeing it in the theater. I still say buying it on disk when it becomes available will give the same value at the same cost, plus as many replays as you wish! If you only expect to see it once, it's a tossup.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #56
Rigby
Banned

Maybe Iím wrong but Iíve got a strong feeling that when this comes out and everyone is raving about how great it is that most folks saying never will pony up the $30. Disney is going to crush it on this one!
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #57
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Except that seeing it on Disney+ is less of a value than seeing it in the theater. I still say buying it on disk when it becomes available will give the same value at the same cost, plus as many replays as you wish! If you only expect to see it once, it's a tossup.
I haven't read the details, but my understanding is that this isn't a one-time rental but stays in your library. I'm unclear if you can download and own it permanently, or only while you're a Disney+ subscriber.

Honestly, I won't go to a theater anymore unless it's at least reserved seating and recliner seating (our local house). To go back to the days of a traditional screen, the movie had better be beyond stellar and one I must see ASAP.

The last one that did me like that was Les Miserables, which we lined up for on Christmas Day (after doing 4 services in 18 hours) and were the among the first ten into the theater so got center of the aisle half-way up with a walkway in front of us so plenty of leg room and easy to slip out.

Movie failed to live up to expectations (and it's the musical version of my "spirit animal.") Theaters (and movies) just aren't what they were any more.

And I still have nightmares of a giant-screen filled with Anne Hathaway's head and Russel Crowe's bad acting and bad voice. <shudder>

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #58
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

I purchased Onward for $30 from Apple when it was released. Then I realized it was free on Disney +. I wasnít too upset about it because we had a nice family movie night back a few months ago when we werenít used to or comfortable with quarantine. We usually spent at least $100 to take family to a movie back in the olden days when people shared a refillable popcorn and we all put our dirty fingers in the family bucket without fear.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #59
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Many years ago I started collecting disks of all Pixar and most Disney movies, and many other things I enjoyed. No it was not cheap but I have no fees for cable TV or Netflix or anything like that so it was really not that bad. As it turned out, it has really paid off the last few months.

The first thing I watched when Covid-19 broke was all 12 seasons of Big Bang Theory, from disk! And I've just gone on from there. I don't feel I need access to everything, just enough to keep me entertained, and I've got that, with no monthly fees except internet. (And occasionally new disks!)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #60
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

So Iím not much of a disk guy as I just canít envision that space in 10-20 years being active (if not much sooner).

I do have stream servers set up if all my owned content from the disk era that required a project mindset to get all of it off the disks. Was pretty easy if you have the desire to do so...just time intensive.

Adding additional digital content is my main priority as I want it instantly accessible. I agree streamingís services and digital content ďleasedĒ is not ideal but it helps fill my gaps and I also enjoy the original content provided.

I went from being all about disks from late 1990s-2014 to having my entire collection on my own streaming server including bonus contents. Kind of a fun thing to do.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote