home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
MMC1
Grand Villa

Default Vacation home sharing ?

Have you ever?
Personally I can't imagine vacationing in a strangers home but my daughter has in Paris and Santa Barbara.
I was so glad she returned to take back her children that I have never actually asked how it went...
So we share our DVC points and experiences, would you share your personal residence? (I know homes in the WDW area rent)
How was your experience if rented another person's residence?

Last edited by MMC1; 10-13-2016 at 03:41 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Do you mean renting someone's home for a week (with the homeowner not present)? Or do you mean staying in someone's spare room with the homeowner still there ?

I haven't done it, but I might stay in someone's home while they were elsewhere. It's not really all that different from a private rental. Though it would feel a little weird if it was someone's primary residence. Not sure I would feel comfortable.

As for staying there when the homeowner was still there. No way. I simply could not go to sleep with a stranger in the next room and no locking doors between us. I would be awake all night wondering if they were a nice as they seemed or if they were really psychopaths. I've heard of people doing this, I just won't be one of them.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, we've rented other people's vacation homes. It's different because they aren't attached to a larger association (often) but otherwise no different than paying a corporation to stay in their hotel room they are renting out. Services may vary of course.

Have done bed and breakfast locations too which usually does mean the owner is there.

Last edited by Goofygrl; 10-13-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Patricksp
One Bedroom

Sounds the same as staying in a Bed and Breakfast, which is really all their is in Ireland and we enjoyed that trip. I don't know about AirBnB.
Patricksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

My sister has her "beach" house in Dunedin listed on Air BNB. This is their 2nd home, so it's rental only. That being said, she and my parents did Air BNB when they went to Australia and New Zealand for most of the trip and they loved it. They've not had a single bad experience. I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, however.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Doug Disney
Studio

I've used vrbo and airbnb probably about 6-10 times now with no problems.

I think most of the time it was the person's vacation home, so no issues with their stuff around. If you are going to a vacation destination, you'll be able to find vacation home rentals. We gotten some at the beach (Jersey and Gulf coast), near National parks(Smokey Mountain, Acadia, many parks in the west), and in vacation destinations (Lancaster PA)

Once we rented a place that was someone's primary condo residence. That was a little weird because they left stuff in the fridge.

I've found the reviews on the sites very helpful, so you know what your'e getting yourself into.

If you were renting down near WDW, I'm guessing more of those are vacation homes, and not primary homes.
Doug Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

We have done an airbnb and a VRBO. The VRBO was an entire home and our group consisted of three couples. This was great as two of the couples enjoyed cooking so we were able to have nice dinners and enjoy a bottle or three of wine. The Airbnb was not so hot. It wound up being a downstairs apartment with the main house occupied by the owners up stairs. It just seemed kind of weird plus their dogs ran around most of the night and you could hear their paws on the wood floor. So my take is that if you are renting the entire house it was good but if just a "room" not so much.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Quellman
Grand Villa

My wife and I stayed in a room in Paris that was kinda like a BnB but not really. It was a bedroom and a bathroom right outside in the hall. There was breakfast available for our using if we so desired, but self service rummage around. The flat had the owner present in her own living area of the apartment. This was a penthouse flat near the Opera House and we found out that the owner we were staying with was the director of music programs at the louvre.

It worked out well for us. I would be hesitant in bringing kids into an environment like that, but for us it was pretty awesome.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
patty57
Two Bedroom

I've rented houses and condos on HomeAway and VRBO a lot. In Europe a number of times, in the Caribbean a lot, Martha's Vineyard many, many times. Quite a few other places too. I've been doing rentals since my boys were very little, and they are in their mid-twenties. I prefer it to a hotel room. The only time I used AirBnB was to get a 3 day rental in Boston.

The funny thing is that while I love to get rentals, when we had a condo in Sunapee, NH, I never rented it out.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #10
patty57
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysol View Post
So to answer your question- no, no one wants people staying in their homes, but are more than willing to stay in other people's homes. Me included.
Ha ha...exactly this.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote