home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Honestly, I never understood all the secrecy in the past on price increases. It seems like announcing price increases would push some people on the fence to buy now. Why wouldn’t you want that?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
HepperSchepp
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
If you buy from a 2042 resort, you are buying 23 years worth of points. Riviera is offering twice as many points, yet people only focus on the price per point cost.
That's True, Except for a few problem that you also need to include the Dues. RR dues are about 20% higher and the room costs are about 10% higher.

That's why i always use this report.
The DVC Marketplace Reports Best Economical Reports
HepperSchepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
coastak
Grand Villa

Quote:
So buying in after 1/29 will cost an extra $700 on a 100 point contract....barring whatever incentive DVC throws in the deal.

If someone was on the fence, you have almost 6 weeks to think it over.
The incentives are already less now than they were pre opening I am pretty sure
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
People get hung up on the wrong numbers, especially when looking at costs for buying DVC. Buying at a brand new resort is still a very cost effective way to visit WDW over the life of ownership.

I ran a cost analysis of the Riviera Resort. When you buy from a new resort, you are buy 50 years worth of points. If you buy from a 2042 resort, you are buying 23 years worth of points. Riviera is offering twice as many points, yet people only focus on the price per point cost.

Anyway, buying Riviera is cheaper as an overall per point value then a lot of other resorts. Will it be 20% savings over time? Probably....but we really can't predict the future. If you look back 27 years ago and priced OKW purchase cost vs hotel costs then and hotel costs now, I am sure you will be a huge winner!
We still bought BC (at $225/pt ) because we've learned to 'buy where we want to stay' It does make a difference. No matter how amenity rich or wonderfully new or greatly laid out, the villa not being in our preferred location is an issue.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
coastak
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We still bought BC (at $225/pt ) because we've learned to 'buy where we want to stay' It does make a difference. No matter how amenity rich or wonderfully new or greatly laid out, the villa not being in our preferred location is an issue.
I think over time people will start to connect Riviera and the Boardwalk area much more than they are now. The skylinner runs right to it and even the Riviera lobby scavenger hunt includes stops at the beach and yacht club as well as boardwalk.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp View Post
That's True, Except for a few problem that you also need to include the Dues. RR dues are about 20% higher and the room costs are about 10% higher.

That's why i always use this report.
The DVC Marketplace Reports Best Economical Reports

They pretty much use the same calculation I use. Riviera's cost to own per point is $12.07 and after the increase will be $12.21 per point. The dues is $8.31 per point, but the cost of each point is $3.76 pp.

For comparison, a resale 2042 resort at $125 per point, the per point value is $5.43 per point. Based on a 100 point BWV contract. Annual dues is $7.37. Total ownership cost is $12.80 per point. This makes Riviera a bargain over a BWV contract.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #17
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

This is a true statement......Always buy where you want to stay. This is sage advice I give anyone buying a timeshare.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
debabe
One Bedroom

Quote:

debabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #19
Crafty
Grand Villa

We already couldn’t afford the direct price!

My take on this is that Disney wants to spur some direct sales in the short term. Why else send out emails six weeks in advance touting the increase. For those considering buying RR direct, the message is that they will pay more if they wait.

My preference would be to buy RR direct rather than resale. However, Disney is making this increasingly difficult. High buy in, high maintenance, high point charts, high closing costs. It goes on and on.

We want RR points and will probably buy resale. We have enough grandfathered points to stay wherever else we want at 7 months, anyway.

We want to buy fairly soon. I fear that when the bottleneck occurs for 11 month booking at RR because of the restrictions, that Disney will give newer resale owners a 10 month booking window. I want my resale points at RR to be grandfathered. I have nothing whatever to substantiate this fear.
Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Or you can buy late and get extra previous yr points at no cost.
This is great advice.

Ok so, we have a Feb UY, would this be a possibility for us? Say I call my guide in January and buy a certain amount of points it would result in receiving 2019 points with no MFs and Feb 1 getting 2020 points with MFs due on purchase?