home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
EandT
One Bedroom

Default Advice on Use Year

First of all I want to thank everyone that responded to my last thread, your advice and knowledge are truly appreciated. We are getting closer to taking the plunge, most likely with 100 direct points initially (leaning toward AKL) and then looking to add resale at another resort later.

We are looking for advice on Use Year. Most of our Disney trips over the past 25 years have been in Nov/Dec/Jan. With being a novice at best on the DVC rules I am looking for advice on what Use Year would be of greatest benefit to us given the above information?

Also interested in the "Perks" of direct ownership, the "Blue Card" I believe you call it. There are times that we do travel to Disney more than once in a year, in those years I know an AP would be of benefit but I can't seem to find anywhere the current cost of the AP for DVC members. What of the other Perks do you find of particular benefit to help justify the extra cost of direct points?

I thank you all in advance for the great info I am sure I will get. This board is an awesome resource!

Feel free to message me if that works better.

Last edited by EandT; 12-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.
EandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandT View Post
First of all I want to thank everyone that responded to my last thread, your advice and knowledge are truly appreciated. We are getting closer to taking the plunge, most likely with 100 direct points initially (leaning toward AKL) and then looking to add resale at another resort later.

We are looking for advice on Use Year. Most of our Disney trips over the past 25 years have been in Nov/Dec/Jan. With being a novice at best on the DVC rules I am looking for advice on what Use Year would be of greatest benefit to us given the above information?

Also interested in the "Perks" of direct ownership, the "Blue Card" I believe you call it. There are times that we do travel to Disney more than once in a year, in those years I know an AP would be of benefit but I can't seem to find anywhere the current cost of the AP for DVC members. What of the other Perks do you find of particular benefit to help justify the extra cost of direct points?

I thank you all in advance for the great info I am sure I will get. This board is an awesome resource!
It seems you are following a similar path to my family - we also bought 100 points AKV initiallly, but bought ours resale then bought direct after.

If you are buying direct, and buy BEFORE the use year then you get an "extra" years points. For example, we bought direct in March, with an October use year so we got the 2018 points (that was the use year when we bought) and 2019 points in October. You do have to pay the dues on those "extra" points, though. The use year also impacts what happens to points when you cancel a reservation, although I've not experienced that myself.

If you don't have a blue card, and don't live in FL, the only AP you can get is Platinum ($1119) or Platinum Plus ($1219). For DVC members, those cost $899 & $999, so over $200 savings. But, you also have the option of getting a Gold pass which is only $699. There are a few blackout dates on the Gold pass, but it's a much bigger savings. And the renewal is even less than the $699.

We bought our first Gold pass this year after getting our blue card, and so far I've been to the parks about 8 times, and have one more week long trip planned. Much cheaper than buying regular tickets!
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Kathy O
Studio

Generally, it's best to have your use year start at the same time you usually travel, so September or October for you. That way if you have to cancel a trip scheduled early in your use year, you still have time to either plan another trip or bank the points.

I also have an October use year. I find it's easier to think of it as a fiscal year for your points.

I believe the current Gold Pass (usually the best deal for DVC) is $699.

And welcome, fellow Pennsylvanian!
Kathy O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
Generally, it's best to have your use year start at the same time you usually travel, so September or October for you. That way if you have to cancel a trip scheduled early in your use year, you still have time to either plan another trip or bank the points.

I also have an October use year. I find it's easier to think of it as a fiscal year for your points.

I believe the current Gold Pass (usually the best deal for DVC) is $699.

And welcome, fellow Pennsylvanian!
You are so right! We travel almost exclusively at the end of the year, but our use year.... February. Really tough if for some reason we need to cancel. We would have very little time to reuse them and fall outside the time to bank them for another year.

It is the one regret from our purchase. Not understanding use year.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
pdude81
Grand Villa

If you are reasonably sure you'll mostly travel then, a Sept or Oct UY wouuld work well. However, if you think you might go in the summer occasionally and don't mind going in the second half of August when crowds drop off, then Aug is my preferred UY. You don't have to bank until March so that still gives you space to bank if things change for your trips and until the middle of the next summer to take a trip if things go off into holding.

As for the DVC annual passes (blue card):
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...ey-world-pass/
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

A September UY is the best IMO. Hit all of the lowest point chart seasons early on. Even with a May vacation scheduled you still have until end of April to cancel and bank. I noticed very few September UY on the resales market.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome Home from Hanover, PA !
Old 12-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

We use to always vacation in February so we took the December UY ... then we discovered the F&W. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Sal's standard advice: It's a 50-year contract. Things change. Don't stress about use-year.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

I too only go in winter.

I have two use years; October and September. I'm not sure if I like one better than the other. I do know that September is rare and October is more rare.

And yes, things change with regards to situations. However, some things do not. Winter will always be colder in Pennsylvania than Florida. Christmas will always be in December and Thanksgiving in November (or October if you are Canadian). Etc, Etc. all of these things really make a UY geared toward winter travel pretty appealing.

Just be patient, you will eventually find one.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote