home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
dantr
One Bedroom

Default Carriage Rides at Disney World

Hi guys,

I am currently planning for my DW's 40th birthday. I want to make it very special, and among several things I am looking into, the carriage rides at Disney World caught my attention. In particular, the one at Riverside. Have any of you done them? Is it worth it? She has mentioned that she would like to do a carriage ride downtown in the city where we live (St Louis), so I am thinking this is something she might enjoy. What other ideas do you have?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
MMC1
Grand Villa

What time of year for your planning?
I almost booked the Ft.W Carriage for Halloween lights and then almost for Xmas holiday decorations but the weather policy was bring umbrella... so might want to doublecheck refund policy on horse carriages due. To weather.

I have noticed the carriage ride from during the Sassagoula River Cruise and looked kinda fun.
I just figured out the Disney Vacation Club Ferry ( true name for boat transport to OKW and SSR from Disney Springs) had a different name than Sassagoula River Cruise. I am trying to train myself to use proper names cause it drives me crazy when guests call the monorail a train.

Last edited by MMC1; 01-21-2020 at 08:09 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

We did the carriage ride at POR a few years ago for our anniversary one evening after dinner. Our driver took us over to POFQ and then back through the path at riverside before returning to the back of the POR lobby. It was nice. It didnít feel very special, though. Certainly not what I had envisioned. Itís not on my list of things to do again, but YMMV, of course.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
Dana
Grand Villa

I would pick a tour she would like over a carriage ride. Would she prefer a tour that was all thrill rides or a Caring for Giant tour at Animal Kingdom? There are a lot to choose from, or if you want to drop the big bucks, a VIP tour would be incredible.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

We did ft wilderness wagon ride one Halloween. It was fun. Only thing Iíd change is doing it earlier in the evening. I though the later option - well after dark- would be better for seeing decorations but that trail was mostly not lit so daylight would have been better.

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
We did the carriage ride at POR a few years ago for our anniversary one evening after dinner. Our driver took us over to POFQ and then back through the path at riverside before returning to the back of the POR lobby. It was nice. It didnít feel very special, though. Certainly not what I had envisioned. Itís not on my list of things to do again, but YMMV, of course.
We did the same thing for our anniversary quite a few years ago also. And, I agree, not high on our list of things to do again. We've also done a couple massage at the GF spa. Now THAT's something we'll do again!
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
We did the same thing for our anniversary quite a few years ago also. And, I agree, not high on our list of things to do again. We've also done a couple massage at the GF spa. Now THAT's something we'll do again!
Heís alive! . Slide on over to the ďdo you agreeĒ thread and help me convince these lovely people that BRV is a terrible place to stay! (Wink, wink. More availability for our families! )
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
dantr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
What time of year for your planning?
I almost booked the Ft.W Carriage for Halloween lights and then almost for Xmas holiday decorations but the weather policy was bring umbrella... so might want to doublecheck refund policy on horse carriages due. To weather.

I have noticed the carriage ride from during the Sassagoula River Cruise and looked kinda fun.
I just figured out the Disney Vacation Club Ferry ( true name for boat transport to OKW and SSR from Disney Springs) had a different name than Sassagoula River Cruise. I am trying to train myself to use proper names cause it drives me crazy when guests call the monorail a train.
We are going the first weekend of May, and I have reservations for her actual birthday (Sunday) at 530pm. I also have reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table, which she has never done, and she mentioned last year that she would like to do someday.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
dantr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
I would pick a tour she would like over a carriage ride. Would she prefer a tour that was all thrill rides or a Caring for Giant tour at Animal Kingdom? There are a lot to choose from, or if you want to drop the big bucks, a VIP tour would be incredible.
We did Keys to the Kingdom last june, and it was a lot of fun. She's not than much into thrill rides, although she loves SDMT, so I'll be booking that. I don't have a budget in place yet, but I do want to make it special for her. I am looking into the Disney Floral birthday arrangements too. That looks like a nice surprise that could we waiting for us when we get back from the parks on her birthday, but I'm researching to see if they are good value.

There is an After Hours at Animal Kingdom on Saturday, and a Villains After Dark at the Magic Kingdom for Friday (we did this last year and it was great).
Old 01-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
dantr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
It's not a tour, right? The driver doesn't tell a story or anything, right? Do you know if we are allowed to make it special? Maybe I can bring from food and drinks? Is that allowed?

We did a couple's massage at our last Disney Cruise. It was amazing, and we enjoyed it a lot, but a few weeks ago, when we were talking about doing another cruise, she mentioned that while she loved the experience, she didn't like the upsell at the end (we bought some lotions that haven't been opened) and didn't think she'd want to do it again, so I crossed that off my list.