home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Default Uber surcharge at Universal

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...owa-story.html

I wonder if the will add a surcharge for WDW also .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

I believe Lyft is working in partnership with Disney (they run the Minnie Vans, or used to), so I doubt it will happen with them. But possibly with Uber since they are a competitor.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I believe Lyft is working in partnership with Disney (they run the Minnie Vans, or used to), so I doubt it will happen with them. But possibly with Uber since they are a competitor.
Disney uses Lyfts technology to request and pay for a Minnie Van. Disney has always owned and operated the vehicles.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

Based on the linked article, it appears to be specific to Universal Orlando.

Quote:
The new fees that went into effect Oct. 21 will pay for a deal between Universal and Uber to improve the ride-sharing experience, Uber spokesman Javier Correoso said.

Universal is charging Uber, which has passed down the fee to the customer, Correoso said.

Universal did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Under the agreement, Uber plans to build out a “lounge” inside the Universal parking garage where people waiting for their rides can wait. New signs will be added. Ground personnel also will be added to direct people, Correoso said.

“We’re confident the investment that we’re making will improve the operational experience at Uber,” he said. “It will make it more reliable for riders. We’re hopeful it will increase demand for drivers.”
Old 11-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Disney uses Lyfts technology to request and pay for a Minnie Van. Disney has always owned and operated the vehicles.
Got ya. I thought Lyft had originally been operating them as a third -party also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
Based on the linked article, it appears to be specific to Universal Orlando.
It seems like this is a response to Disney's ongoing partnership with Lyft. Uni is now going to charge Uber (and its riders) $4 to have a more integrated, premium experience on property. A direct transportation service isn't really necessary due to the size of UOR, but this may push more people to use Uber instead of a competitor. Once Epic Universe opens, they may try to use Uber as a direct transportation service with this infrastructure in place.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa

When I pass the small security post near BLT every night in parking lot,
I notice small groups of people sitting on curb waiting for their Uber/ Lyftt drivers and it is very dangerous in dark. Yet Disney security cars posted at that intersection and the guards manning the gate entrance for Contemporary/BLT seem to ignore this danger for pedestrians and busses , etc on property.
Universal is making an attempt to initiate safety cautions, hopefully.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote