home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

There are several places near by that you can return a rental to. Budget and Dollar, for sure, I believe. Avis maybe. One of them may be at Shades of Green, so I don't know if you have to be staying there to utilize it as a drop off. Check out MouseSavers for Car Rental tricks:

https://www.mousesavers.com/transpor...car-discounts/

Quite frankly, they could also return it to the airport and use a dummy flight to get a DME reservation. All they have to do is take their luggage to the bus. That's not as convenient if there is a lot of stuff they want to offload or want to get to the magic ASAP, but that's a solution.

It might also be possible to get a rental for length of stay at a rate that makes it worth while. If nothing else, they won't have to leave for the airport quite as early.

That said, keep trying Alamo and National. You can drop off both at Car Care Center of Dolphin and rates can get better. I cut my FLL to MCO rate by 50% by checking daily (it was a 16 day rental, though, so big numbers).

I book exclusively through Costco because that's where I've gotten the best deals.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
reblzmom
Grand Villa

I learned recently through Enterprise that there is never a "one-way" fee if you go from airport to airport. With all the traffic in WDW/MCO I don't think the one way upcharge is much of an issue. But if there is time, as per Dirk's suggestion, drop off at the airport and MDE would work.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I learned recently through Enterprise that there is never a "one-way" fee if you go from airport to airport. With all the traffic in WDW/MCO I don't think the one way upcharge is much of an issue. But if there is time, as per Dirk's suggestion, drop off at the airport and MDE would work.
I had thought there were no one-way charges in FL because people move around so much, but it may well be just airport to airport. I have tried pricing out other one-way scenarios that were significantly higher than I would have expected when WDW was used as pick-up or drop-off from outside the Orlando area.

Interestingly, in CA, I found a dirt-cheap Hertz rental from Anaheim Hilton to SFO one trip when LAX or SNA to SFO was through the roof. Literally hundreds of dollars more. Oddly, SFO to LAX was just fine, but we were starting with Disneyland. One way surcharges are weird.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
CDog
Two Bedroom

Thanks to all of you! These have been awesome tips! I’ve never done any of these, but knew there was a way to do it, and knew the very knowledgeable members here would know the tips. You’re all awesome, thanks again!

MOD #79
CDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
flypwm
Two Bedroom

One way rentals are common enough. The Dolphin has a number of rental counters, so I imagine you could return there.

Lots of good tips in this thread. I'll add in that quoting, or tracking your existing reservation, at autoslash.com could result in some savings.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypwm View Post
One way rentals are common enough. The Dolphin has a number of rental counters, so I imagine you could return there.

Lots of good tips in this thread. I'll add in that quoting, or tracking your existing reservation, at autoslash.com could result in some savings.
Yes there is a counter and one way rentals are common. It is also possible they have added costs. So best to know if it is worth it.