home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #21
ajc
Grand Villa

and if you are crossing in a rental at a traffic light and the don't walk sign flashes ( I know the traffic has to stop but anxiety has its place with distracted drivers), what then; DH scooter cant climb the bus ramps on turtle speed he has to go mid throttle to climb the ramp then slows at level. I am now renting a scooter due to a spinal injury and have experience with driving and regulating so I guess I have to go Gold and schedule the meet up/drop off.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #22
Nickys
Grand Villa

Whilst I’m sure all MOs are indeed safe scooters drivers, maybe this article is the reason behind the move.

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/04/s...-disney-parks/

After all, I’m sure Disney already require that scooter drivers “maintain a safe speed that matches the flow of the crowds”, but clearly not everyone complies.

Whether you believe the new Disney policy is right or wrong, you can almost certainly blame it on the irresponsible drivers involved in these cases.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's fine, but there is no reason to be limited to turtle inside or outside of parks if someone knows what they are doing.

Your aunt doesn't want to go over turtle? No problem. Don't limit others.

I would even challenge the legitimacy of such a limitation. The purpose of a mobility device is to be able to restore as much as possible the mobility lost by the injury or condition the necessitates the scooter.

To require a scooter user to maintain a crawl that can't even keep up with a walking pace could be construed as humiliating and against the spirit of the ACA.

Now, maybe Disney can require this for their approved vendors, but I doubt they can require this for offsite vendors and those who own their own scooters.

Dirk
Well my aunt cannot use them now so it's all irrelevant to us at this time.

I get what you guys are saying, as I have said. I also get why Disney is asking this to be done.

I've been run over a scooter going petty fast (not their fault - that's why we stuck to turtle after because the controllers were crap) and it hurts like crazy. there can be a limit IMO that will be good. No one needs to go faster than a walker though. So maybe limit it to a littler higher but not all the way?
Old 09-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #24
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
and if you are crossing in a rental at a traffic light and the don't walk sign flashes ( I know the traffic has to stop but anxiety has its place with distracted drivers), what then; DH scooter cant climb the bus ramps on turtle speed he has to go mid throttle to climb the ramp then slows at level. I am now renting a scooter due to a spinal injury and have experience with driving and regulating so I guess I have to go Gold and schedule the meet up/drop off.
The scheduling was far less a problem than I expected . Gold will provide a number of your driver the night before . When I am around 30 minutes out from wdw I am to call them. They will meet me in front of BC.

It sounds like it will be easy. Also I save over $150 and get a free sun protectors and a drink cup.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #25
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

FYI - a bad scooter driver can still hit walkers at turtle speed.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #26
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
FYI - a bad scooter driver can still hit walkers at turtle speed.
True and now people will plow into super slow scooter users .
Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #27
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I just contact Buena Vista and they said the scooters are throttled to about 4 mph, so not too slow to walk beside. I am keeping my reservation for October (provided there are no more storms!)

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I've had people walk into my scooter when I've been STOPPED-many times. They're walking (or running) while looking at their cell phone or yelling to people behind them. Then they give me dirty looks, just for being there I guess. Could a case be made that if walkers can go 4 mph, should scooter users be limited to go slower? Equality-why should my disability mean I have to go slower than a walker? Just stirring things up. I hate this!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #29
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead58 View Post
I just contact Buena Vista and they said the scooters are throttled to about 4 mph, so not too slow to walk beside. I am keeping my reservation for October (provided there are no more storms!)
They told me no higher than three. THat could be awkward . You can use the 1 ( turtle ) up to three . . I just canceled with them . They said wdw will soon require even personal scooters to use a low speed.

Last edited by Shewill; 09-04-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #30
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead58 View Post
That's faster than the average walking speed at least. I wouldn't be mad at that.