home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #71
Nickys
Grand Villa

Buena Vista have announced details of how they will deliver ECVs, wheelchairs, strollers etc.

Itís a meet & greet schedule, with 5 routes covering all resorts (including Riviera and Reflections) and three delivery times per day.

If you choose the latest delivery time then you donít get charged for the day.

Details are here:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019/1...ampaign=buffer
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #72
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Buena Vista have announced details of how they will deliver ECVs, wheelchairs, strollers etc.

Itís a meet & greet schedule, with 5 routes covering all resorts (including Riviera and Reflections) and three delivery times per day.

If you choose the latest delivery time then you donít get charged for the day.

Details are here:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019/1...ampaign=buffer
Interesting.

It really makes me wonder how Gold Mobility is so flexible. They have to have a huge number of trucks to essentially be able to meet the customer on the customer's schedule.

Apparently some of the other companies have accused them of operating at a loss to undercut their business, say it's impossible to make any money while offering the service Gold does. Maybe now that they don't have to pay Disney . . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #73
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Interesting.

It really makes me wonder how Gold Mobility is so flexible. They have to have a huge number of trucks to essentially be able to meet the customer on the customer's schedule.

Apparently some of the other companies have accused them of operating at a loss to undercut their business, say it's impossible to make any money while offering the service Gold does. Maybe now that they don't have to pay Disney . . .

Dirk
That's what I was thinking too, but I'm so glad that they're so exact. Both times I've rented from Gold Mobility, they arrived within a few minutes of my DME bus. I just hobbled over to a bench, sat and waited all of about 5 minutes for them. The first time, they texted me that they'd run into traffic and wouldn't quite be there as the bus arrived. The second time, the bus was a little earlier than planned, so I had to wait a few minutes then too. However, Buena Vista's schedule!? No wonder some people want a "featured vendor" if they look at BVS's schedule, where they might wait hours.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #74
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Interesting.

Dirk
They have several delivery guys working different areas. PickUp/DropOff times are usually around 15-30 minutes. So each driver could manage 24 timeslots in an 8 hr day. They also charge a flat rate weekly fee regardless of how long you need it. I know I paid much more for the 2 days scooter use my friends had a weekend ago. That's profit right there.

As for speed control, the problem isn't as much the max speed as the feel of the control levers when it is set on different speeds. Every powered has a slight adjustment period for it to start moving. You don't immediately go fast. Inexperienced drivers think their scooter isn't working right so they squeeze very hard on the controller. In a faster speed setting that makes the scooter jerk into motion.

It takes a very light touch to control these things. My dad was an expert at it. He had such a smooth hand with his scooter he never jerked into motion. It comes from experience and instinct. The man was an excellent driver as well.

My power wheelchair works under the same principle but only has the one joystick control. I have a very good instinctual touch on my joystick. I guess I've been using it so many years it is a natural mode of transport to me. But I tell you when I get out of my chair and try to drive it into position that command is lessened. I've run over my own feet plenty of times. So I will slow down the speed controller to minimize that jerking motion.

Upcoming:

NYE Dec 29-Jan 3 (BLT) Me + 4 Gen Ys

Completed: Florida Sep 29- Nov 2 (B-day trip), Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23), Williamsburg with the family, June 21-28, 2019
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #75
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
That's what I was thinking too, but I'm so glad that they're so exact. Both times I've rented from Gold Mobility, they arrived within a few minutes of my DME bus. I just hobbled over to a bench, sat and waited all of about 5 minutes for them. The first time, they texted me that they'd run into traffic and wouldn't quite be there as the bus arrived. The second time, the bus was a little earlier than planned, so I had to wait a few minutes then too. However, Buena Vista's schedule!? No wonder some people want a "featured vendor" if they look at BVS's schedule, where they might wait hours.
For people who need a scooter as soon as they arrive, that may actually be best - to go with onsite. Fortunately, the two times I've rented, it's been more about "do I need it?" rather than "I have to have it!"

My only other experience was Apple. I have to say that while Gold's units are in better shape, their service was also good. The battery also did very well, but it definitely needed charging at night and a constant eye during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
They have several delivery guys working different areas. PickUp/DropOff times are usually around 15-30 minutes. So each driver could manage 24 timeslots in an 8 hr day. They also charge a flat rate weekly fee regardless of how long you need it. I know I paid much more for the 2 days scooter use my friends had a weekend ago. That's profit right there.
Yeah, I forgot about that because I coughed it up for a 5 day rental, figuring that was close enough. If you need it for less, you are definitely better off with another company.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote