home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Jesper
One Bedroom

Default Disney Visa card

I recently got an offer in the mail to sign up for the Disney Visa Card. I believe it's issued by Chase. They waive the annual fee and has the $200 reward if you spend a certain amount etc. The cash back program does not look that impressive, but they also offer: "Save on select merchandise purchases, dining most days and select guided tours at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts".

I tried reading the fine print, but there are so many exclusions I gave up trying to figure out which stores offer the discount. So I come here. For you that have the card; How widespread is the discount? Do you receive the discount in the store on Main Street in WDW such? Is is usually 10%?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
flypwm
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
I recently got an offer in the mail to sign up for the Disney Visa Card. I believe it's issued by Chase. They waive the annual fee and has the $200 reward if you spend a certain amount etc. The cash back program does not look that impressive, but they also offer: "Save on select merchandise purchases, dining most days and select guided tours at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts".

I tried reading the fine print, but there are so many exclusions I gave up trying to figure out which stores offer the discount. So I come here. For you that have the card; How widespread is the discount? Do you receive the discount in the store on Main Street in WDW such? Is is usually 10%?

Thanks
First, yeah, the reward program on this card is bad. Don't use it for that. You're better off getting 2% cash back on the Fidelity Visa or something similar, with no annual fee. And then you have cash.

That said, I do have the card, as it's not subject to Chase's 5/24 rule on new cards and I figured the bonus was churnable. The merchandise discount is available at nearly all Disney-operated shops in the parks and resorts, but you have to mention the discount and you need to spend at least $50.

Terms are here: https://disneyrewards.com/walt-disney-world-perks/

#3 on the fine print is what you want for the exclusions.

What I'd say this card is actually good for is early access to room discounts. That meant more to me before I bought DVC, but still can come in handy.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Disney Visa Perks at WDW: https://disneyrewards.com/wp-content...rkPerks_01.pdf

The merchandise discount will be mostly at Disney owned & operated locations on purchases of $50 or more. That would include most in-park merchandise locations at MK, DAK, DHS, and Future World in Epcot. Some countries in the World Showcase may honor the Disney Visa discount. The number of locations at Disney Springs will be minimal as many of those are operated by a 3rd party. World of Disney and a few others in the Marketplace are Disney owned and honor the Disney Visa discount.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
dnunc
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post

Thanks
Discount at Disney at just about everywhere. 2% cash back (money to be used for Disney things or dues) on restaurants, gas,groceries, anything Disney. 1% for all other purchases
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

We did it for the initial reward, and I think they gave us an extra $50 because I ordered a card with my wife's name on it. You also get a no interest period if you pay for your Disney vacation on it.
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
We did it for the initial reward, and I think they gave us an extra $50 because I ordered a card with my wife's name on it. You also get a no interest period if you pay for your Disney vacation on it.
DVC purchases as well
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
DVC purchases as well
I wasn't aware of that, I assume that's only for direct purchases. Have to keep that in mind should we decide to add on (assuming we ever get to close on this initial purchase ).
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
bubster
Grand Villa

We have the Chase Disney Visa. I have been trying to get my brother to look into getting it too. For him the benefit would be for the 0% interest deferred on booking vacation packages. He is balking at the interest rate.

After going over things it does seem like there isn't much incentive for him to get the 2% card. As for shopping getting any discount with the Visa card can be spotty depending on location. To your specific question I believe you can get a 10% discount at the Emporium in MK if you spend $50 or more. These days DVC discounts are equal to/better than the Disney Visa but we all know this may not last.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I wasn't aware of that, I assume that's only for direct purchases. Have to keep that in mind should we decide to add on (assuming we ever get to close on this initial purchase ).
Yes for direct only. We did it a few years ago. I had the cash but why not take advantage of keeping it longer and getting the rewards from that!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
coastak
Grand Villa

They also have exclusive meet n great at epcot and Hollywood studios that you must show your card to enter.

Then you get offers from time to time. Like for example I just got notified if I switch utilities to Disney visa it's 5% rewards through something like October. So I did.

They also have 0% interest for something like 6 months for Disney vacations
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote