home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #21
patty57
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
I think that infection rates can be reduced with "social distancing" and quarantining - the "managing or flattening the curve" for hospital space and resource management - but only for a short time.

Unless we have a vaccine or a medication that mitigates the effects of virus, we're just prolonging the exposure and infection rates to the population with these passive initiatives. At some point, we'll all pay the piper without a real and effective viral weapon.
Agree. For now though, we need to try and keep the health care system up and running. My husband is a hospital based doctor, and what you are hearing in the news about the lack of protective equipment is frighteningly true. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we will get it. Hopefully, our age and asthma don't do us in.

Last edited by patty57; 03-25-2020 at 10:14 AM.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #22
ajc
Grand Villa

Staying away from WDW is not in a MO's DNA that is why we are fans (short for fanatic). I propose this for park reopenings:

1. only allow annual pass holders in - this forces true fans to purchase for immediate influx of cash to WDW

2. scan for fever prior to park entrance at security station

3. suspend park hopper privileges - limits overlapping

4. limit park attendance - easy to do with magic bands

5. virtual queue on cell phones

6. limit rides to every other row

7. state side patrons only (no incoming international travelers until ban is lifted)
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #23
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Universal is now closed until at least April 19.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
Happy Pixie
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
Agree. For now though, we need to try and keep the health care system up and running. My husband is a hospital based doctor, and what you are hearing in the news about the lack of protective equipment is frighteningly true. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we will get it. Hopefully, our age and asthma don't do us in.
First, I wish you and your family good health and thankful for doctors like your husband that go to work knowing this stuff is crazy. A question for you/ your husband, you said ppe is low, what about the call to make diy masks and donating them to the medical professionals? Are those a waste of time and money or are the medical folks using them?
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #25
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I don't see the parks opening until they get a handle on what's going on in NY. NYC/ surrounding area is now the "epicenter" with many areas tracing the introduction of the virus as likely having started with someone who had been in NYC. Currently, anyone flying into the state of FL from NY, NJ, or CT has to go into a mandatory 14 day quarantine in FL before they can move about the state. There is little they can do however about auto traffic.

If WDW opened up, a ton of people from the Tri-State area with kids out of school and tired of being couped up would get in there cars and head south. (I don't blame them, I'd be wanting to do the same thing. It's just probably not a good idea right now). IMO There is no way FL is going to open up WDW to what could turn into a Spring version of Jersey Week.

I suspect the re-opening of all of the parks is going to have more to do with when they feel it is safe to have a flood of out-of-state visitors, a high percentage of which will be coming from NY/NJ/CT, than it has to do with the current situation in FL.

ETA: The might re-open for FL residents only, but that doesn't help most of us.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

Last edited by tink711; 03-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
patty57
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pixie View Post
First, I wish you and your family good health and thankful for doctors like your husband that go to work knowing this stuff is crazy. A question for you/ your husband, you said ppe is low, what about the call to make diy masks and donating them to the medical professionals? Are those a waste of time and money or are the medical folks using them?
I imagine most facilities will be happy to use them if/when their supplies run out. Very kind of you to ask.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #27
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
My nursing friend has stated many times that they are a no go for them in hospital use. Studies have shown them useless and she won't even encourage people to make them. A doctor who is more out there in her methods stated she would take them though, but honestly I question some of her methods anyway. So I would call and ask.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #28
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
From what I have heard, I think the DIY mask are being used for the patients, not the medical staff. The N95 masks that the medical staff needs are not the DIY ones. However, there is also a shortage of the masks that they ask patients to wear so that the patient does not not inundate the surrounding area with germs when they cough or sneeze. These masks are much simpler to make and they are also critical to helping keep people safe.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #29
johnsonville5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Fake News

These posters should be banned. Speculation until announced
johnsonville5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #30
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonville5 View Post
These posters should be banned. Speculation until announced
Speculation is what we do best. We excel at speculation. No board does it better than we do.