home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Default ? re-my first Moonlight Magic try

If I don't get Moonlight Magic, is there a waitlist? Or am I just out of luck. I'll be solo, and no guests with me, so I'm hoping that makes it a little easier to get. However, I've heard stories about how you have to be on the computer right at the second it opens (and what time is that? I'm in the Central Time Zone). It's still another 7 months away before I can sign up, but I'm already getting nervous.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
If I don't get Moonlight Magic, is there a waitlist? Or am I just out of luck. I'll be solo, and no guests with me, so I'm hoping that makes it a little easier to get. However, I've heard stories about how you have to be on the computer right at the second it opens (and what time is that? I'm in the Central Time Zone). It's still another 7 months away before I can sign up, but I'm already getting nervous.
There isnít a waiting list. You could ask if anyone has spare tickets.

But the system is different now. As far as I know anyone logged on before the opening time is randomly allocated a wait number. Those logging on after the opening time get added to the back of the wait line in the order they log on. You then wait to get to the front of the line and hope to get tickets.

And be aware, you must have a reservation booked 48 hours before the registration date. And you can now only book for the number of guests listed on the reservation, not the full capacity of the room. Again thatís as at 48 hours before. Iíve seen quite a few reports of people getting caught out by that, even though it was on the registration page.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
However, I've heard stories about how you have to be on the computer right at the second it opens (and what time is that? I'm in the Central Time Zone).
The actual registration begins at 9 am eastern (8 am central). No advantage to clicking the registration link (in email or on member website) much prior to that start time.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
And be aware, you must have a reservation booked 48 hours before the registration date. And you can now only book for the number of guests listed on the reservation, not the full capacity of the room. Again that’s as at 48 hours before. I’ve seen quite a few reports of people getting caught out by that, even though it was on the registration page.
Oh, that's crafty. Last year I booked for 4 two separate times, even though we're a couple. First was with friends on their own DVC reservation so I just booked for both of us instead of risked them not getting in. Second time was for non-DVC friends at Shades of Green so they would not have had a chance.

I wonder how they handle room reductions? (That is, say I put non-DVC friends on our room for booking MM, and then take them off? Would I still have a reservation for 4, even though my room is for 2.) And would they even let me add my DVC friends who had their own reservation? Would it not allow the duplicate? Or maybe I make up two additional people to add to my room? My cat and dog could use a vacation . . .

Dirk

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Oh, that's crafty. Last year I booked for 4 two separate times, even though we're a couple. First was with friends on their own DVC reservation so I just booked for both of us instead of risked them not getting in. Second time was for non-DVC friends at Shades of Green so they would not have had a chance.

I wonder how they handle room reductions? (That is, say I put non-DVC friends on our room for booking MM, and then take them off? Would I still have a reservation for 4, even though my room is for 2.) And would they even let me add my DVC friends who had their own reservation? Would it not allow the duplicate? Or maybe I make up two additional people to add to my room? My cat and dog could use a vacation . . .

Dirk

Dirk
When I cancelled my hubby from the reservation last year, they tried to cancel the party for everyone! Well, they actually did at the front desk, but managed to catch it and get it corrected. I donít think I would take that kind of chance.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
When I cancelled my hubby from the reservation last year, they tried to cancel the party for everyone! Well, they actually did at the front desk, but managed to catch it and get it corrected. I don’t think I would take that kind of chance.
So, if we go over a MM night (not likely in 2020), I'll just add my cat and dog to the reservation. Ludwig's first name well blend perfectly with my last quite German last name! Oh, but crap. They won't check in with me, so the front desk could have an issue. Then again, I could do online check-in. Hmm. Would Disney ever know?

Honestly, though, given the demands for the MM nights, I have no problem with Disney restricting advance registration to those actually on the reservation to give others a chance. It just makes it harder for two separate reservations to guarantee they can go together.

Dirk

Old 11-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
So, if we go over a MM night (not likely in 2020), I'll just add my cat and dog to the reservation. Ludwig's first name well blend perfectly with my last quite German last name! Oh, but crap. They won't check in with me, so the front desk could have an issue. Then again, I could do online check-in. Hmm. Would Disney ever know?

Honestly, though, given the demands for the MM nights, I have no problem with Disney restricting advance registration to those actually on the reservation to give others a chance. It just makes it harder for two separate reservations to guarantee they can go together.

Dirk
Well, I should never have put him on the reservation since he wouldnít commit to the trip. It was just taking a ticket from someone else who would actually use it. So when we checked in at the resort, I tried to cancel just his ticket, thinking that someone else would be able to pick it up in those last few days. What a mess! I donít have a problem with Disney restricting the tickets to people actually on the reservation either. I think they are really just trying to make the system a little more fair for everyone.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Well, I should never have put him on the reservation since he wouldnít commit to the trip. It was just taking a ticket from someone else who would actually use it. So when we checked in at the resort, I tried to cancel just his ticket, thinking that someone else would be able to pick it up in those last few days. What a mess! I donít have a problem with Disney restricting the tickets to people actually on the reservation either. I think they are really just trying to make the system a little more fair for everyone.
I have to give them credit - they could just increase the event numbers. Of course, that probably costs them more in Mickey bars and Fish & Chips (or wherever)! The reality is that the demand for these things are high and people deserve a chance to get in. I'm lucky. I can control my schedule. Not everyone can futz around for an hour or so at 9am on a weekday morning to get in.

Dirk

Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I have to give them credit - they could just increase the event numbers. Of course, that probably costs them more in Mickey bars and Fish & Chips (or wherever)! The reality is that the demand for these things are high and people deserve a chance to get in. I'm lucky. I can control my schedule. Not everyone can futz around for an hour or so at 9am on a weekday morning to get in.

Dirk
Yeah... was driving home from work and knew I wouldnít make it all the way home before the window opened. So I stopped at wal-mart and did my grocery shopping while I waited my turn. The crazy things we do to feed our Disney addictions...
Old 11-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:

Dirk

Dirk
I believe the actual rule is you can book for four people or the number on your reservation, whichever is greater.

So I would think of you had booked for more than 4, and then reduced the number on the reservation to less than 4, they would cancel the extra tickets over 4.

But they should let you keep 4 tickets even if you end up with less than that on the reservation.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote