home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #131
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Question: What is the minimum you would want/need to make a trip to Disney worth it if operations are reduced after re-opening?Dirk
We do not eat many buffets.
We do not go to a lot of meet-n-greets.
We rarely see the shows.

None of the above are big impacts to us.

We do enjoy the resort amenities, so the pools have to be open.

Our favorite rides need to be open.

At least 2 of 3 of these parks need to be open - MK, DHS, AK. If Epcot is closed, we would be ok with that, especially if the grandsons are going.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #132
5 Mouseketeers
One Bedroom

We have 6 nights at HHI, followed by a disney cruise and then a long weekend at BCV scheduled for July. Trying to figure out what to do...

We had a Atlantis trip scheduled for spring break that we had to cancel. I rented the villa directly from an owner, and have one year to use the points. Need to figure out when we could to that, and if it's summer (we have a 3 week window between kids sport tournaments and fall sport tryouts to get away)...that could bump our Disney plans.

Trying to be patient and see how this all plays out (how bad it gets and how long it lasts). The upside of this is it's "reset" our family. With 3 kids playing 5 travel/select sports we were never home, always running around for practices, training sessions, clinics and games/tournaments. For the past week or so...everyone is home, we have dinner together, we've had family movie and game nights. It's kinda nice...

Last edited by 5 Mouseketeers; 03-25-2020 at 01:06 PM.
5 Mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #133
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I don't immediately see any reason why operations would need to be reduced.
The only thing that comes to mind is that the College Program participants have very likely gone home and many or even most would not return.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #134
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We have three trips for this summer.

1. WDW over Memorial Day weekend

2. USVI St John staying two weeks at one of are other timeshares, in July

3. DCL cruise, followed by a short stay at WDW in August.
The Memorial Day trip I feel has a 50/50 odds of happening. It all depends if WDW will be open by then.

The trip to USVI I feel is 75%-85% chance of happening. The islands just shut down for 30 days to tourist travel to the island. They only have 15 ICU beds for St John, St Thomas and St Croix. Depending how the virus spreads here and there, will impact how long the island will remain closed to tourists.

The Disney Cruise is tricky. Once the cruise ships start sailing again, we will be watching for outbreaks and quarantines. If they are still happening, there is no way we will be sailing. So our short WDW stay, might become a 9 night trip........utilizing the points from our canceled Easter WDW trip.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #135
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Crossposting withe variation:

Question: What is the minimum you would want/need to make a trip to Disney worth it if operations are reduced after re-opening?

Dirk
Star Wars stuff would need to be open or my friend will delay. I would like all parks open and some of the major rides. We don't need to do them all though. Epcot is actually important to us and with new things for us to do there it would be almost a break for me not to have. AKL not at all though. I like it but don't need it.

We are due the week after Memorial Day. I think that has a decent shot of being there. More than 50/50 for sure at this point. I always knew our March was more jeopardy than the summer one. I had hoped to squeeze it in but we were a week too late.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #136
Orion54
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Crossposting withe variation:

Question: What is the minimum you would want/need to make a trip to Disney worth it if operations are reduced after re-opening?

So, I'm actually now at 50% as to whether or not we'll get to Disney in August. Two factors come into play:

Is Central NJ considered the grater NY area for quarantine upon arrival in FL even if we drive? (Besides, I think the Governor's order applies to NJ and NY, not just NYC). If NYC it Italy (and numbers suggest it could be), we could be the national hotspot that is under lockdown the longest.

Will a Disney visit be worth the expense of the points? Rumors suggest dramatically reduced park capacity, zero character interaction, zero indoor shows, slower loads due to sterilization procedures, etc. And, most of all, it does sound like Epcot won't be on the open list until well after WDW is operating again.

To be honest, Disney may not be that fun of a place until we have effective treatments and then a vaccine.

Even though I borrowed some points to complete the reservation, our trip is the start of the Use Year. I'll be deciding in July whether to cancel and book for F&G next year.

Dirk

I think Central NJ is still part of NYC area but that's my opinion.

I'm at a 50/50 point with a trip to WDW. Will it be worth it, probably not from a normal standpoint. From a mental standpoint, yes. But that's because we are MOs and it's our other home so to speak. We have a reservation at the end of June/beginning of July. No so positive that they are open by then.

Where did you hear about EPCOT not opening with the rest of the parks when they do? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #137
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion54 View Post
I think Central NJ is still part of NYC area but that's my opinion.

I'm at a 50/50 point with a trip to WDW. Will it be worth it, probably not from a normal standpoint. From a mental standpoint, yes. But that's because we are MOs and it's our other home so to speak. We have a reservation at the end of June/beginning of July. No so positive that they are open by then.

Where did you hear about EPCOT not opening with the rest of the parks when they do? Just curious.
Some articles with speculations state it. I still don't see why it makes sense, but that's what is being thrown out. There are no real ideas on it though. Just guesses. Some better than others.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #138
Orion54
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Some articles with speculations state it. I still don't see why it makes sense, but that's what is being thrown out. There are no real ideas on it though. Just guesses. Some better than others.
Ok. Everything is speculation now anyway. I agree with a previous MOs post on opening. To drive income, WDW should let in APs only whether you have one or buy a new one. They will need the influx of cash. Not sure if they should limit capacity but most likely they will with temperature checks at turnstiles.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #139
coastak
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We do not eat many buffets.
We do not go to a lot of meet-n-greets.
We rarely see the shows.

None of the above are big impacts to us.

We do enjoy the resort amenities, so the pools have to be open.

Our favorite rides need to be open.

At least 2 of 3 of these parks need to be open - MK, DHS, AK. If Epcot is closed, we would be ok with that, especially if the grandsons are going.
But if all those things are closed you do not like to do how much more crowded does it make the things you do like to do? If it is not at full capacity a lot of unknown problems will occur we wont know until we are there in the middle of it. Personally I will wait until it seems fully operational again when if it means waiting some months on my annual pass.
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #140
eandjmom
One Bedroom

We are going in late July. Honestly the pools have to be open. DS has his heart set on Star Wars so HS needs to be open as well. and DD has her heart set on MK. If those are open as well as resort pools and bars, we will be there.
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote