home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #141
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,154
Default

Governor DeSantis has asked that all Florida rentals for the next two weeks be cancelled. And if you are coming from NY, NJ, CT or LA, you need to self-quarantine for 14 days when you get here. And not with relatives.
__________________
Deb
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #142
snowman70
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 302
Default Not happy with David's approach to refunding

We have 4 rentals through David's the next 2 months. 3 late next month and 1 in late May. The rentals were with banked points and all rented quickly in September 2019. We have an October use year so the points were a year before expiring. After them being locked up for 6 months now there won't be much time left once the resorts and WDW reopens if we take them back.

This is the first time we have rented out points in 11 years of ownership. Have gifted plenty of points to family. We knew that no one would have a use for them in this year so we tried to plan ahead.

Instead of going to the renters and looking for them to rerent first before the end of the use year the email I received read the canned email that they want me to refund the rental deposit and the company keeps the first commission. Then they offered to provide the original renter a voucher and rerent the points to another renter if possible, which now will be distressed points. At which point they would charge me a commission again without enough to even cover maintenance fees.

Before David's even reached out to me I directly said that I will only accept the renters reusing the points and if necessary I would rent some additional points (at market rate) to secure a new reservation. No response to that other than the offer above. It is just a form letter being sent to all from what I have seen elsewhere. Don't normally look on the other side but was surprised it wasn't being discussed here.

I realize we are all going through tough situations. Further this is nothing compared to the what lies on the horizon the next couple months. The renters SHOULD have purchased insurance with the rentals being not refundable.
snowman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #143
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado
 
henrycpa91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 11,427
Default

I totally agree. If I had rented to someone for this period I would refund the money.

My point issues are my problem with Disney. Not my renters problem.



Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Given the cancellations, no matter what is in the contract, I would think it would unconscionable not to provide refunds in this case. Disney are giving options for all these points (beyond the contract rules) for these things, and that is the right thing to do.

Anything else is sorta kinda up there with the brothers hoarding and jacking up the hand sanitizer, IMO.

Cheers.
__________________


MY WDW Visits...


1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #144
Steelcity791
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Steelcity791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greensburg Pa
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
I totally agree. If I had rented to someone for this period I would refund the money.

My point issues are my problem with Disney. Not my renters problem.
I agree but do you think anything can be done to get the money back from the owner that doesnít agree
Steelcity791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #145
Oh_Joy!
Studio
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcity791 View Post
I agree but do you think anything can be done to get the money back from the owner that doesnít agree
That will depend on the contract that you have with the owner or the broker, if you used one. But you might spend more to pursue it than you stand to gain. I think you will find that most owners are trying to be as flexible as they can under theses circumstances. But some may not have the cash to refund. They may have lost their points due to expiration constraints. Or they may not be able to reschedule a trip for a renter due to a lack of availability during the time that the renter can travel.

Davidís is now asking owners to give them back the 70% that the owners were paid. They are not refunding the renters. They are offering a travel credit to the renters but they canít give anyone the details as to what those travel credits can be used for or how long they will be valid. They are not answering owners who are offering to reschedule the renter using the points for as long as they are valid. Davidís just wants the cash but isnít passing that on to the renter. They are also holding on to remaining 30% they held onto or any portion of their $4.50/point commission. IOW, Davidís is looking to make themselves whole right now at the expense of the owners and renters.

I hope you can get a resolution to your issue. Everyone is being hurt one way or another by this pandemic. Canceling a much anticipated trip hurts but taking a financial hit on top of that really smarts.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #146
tink711
Add-on Aficionado
 
tink711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Joy! View Post
That will depend on the contract that you have with the owner or the broker, if you used one. But you might spend more to pursue it than you stand to gain. I think you will find that most owners are trying to be as flexible as they can under theses circumstances. But some may not have the cash to refund. They may have lost their points due to expiration constraints. Or they may not be able to reschedule a trip for a renter due to a lack of availability during the time that the renter can travel.

Davidís is now asking owners to give them back the 70% that the owners were paid. They are not refunding the renters. They are offering a travel credit to the renters but they canít give anyone the details as to what those travel credits can be used for or how long they will be valid. They are not answering owners who are offering to reschedule the renter using the points for as long as they are valid. Davidís just wants the cash but isnít passing that on to the renter. They are also holding on to remaining 30% they held onto or any portion of their $4.50/point commission. IOW, Davidís is looking to make themselves whole right now at the expense of the owners and renters.

I hope you can get a resolution to your issue. Everyone is being hurt one way or another by this pandemic. Canceling a much anticipated trip hurts but taking a financial hit on top of that really smarts.
What ???
So if the owner agrees to a Refund, then David keeps the money and gives the Renter Travel Credits ?
__________________

Always dreaming of my next visit ...





tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #147
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 32,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Joy! View Post
That will depend on the contract that you have with the owner or the broker, if you used one. But you might spend more to pursue it than you stand to gain. I think you will find that most owners are trying to be as flexible as they can under theses circumstances. But some may not have the cash to refund. They may have lost their points due to expiration constraints. Or they may not be able to reschedule a trip for a renter due to a lack of availability during the time that the renter can travel.

Davidís is now asking owners to give them back the 70% that the owners were paid. They are not refunding the renters. They are offering a travel credit to the renters but they canít give anyone the details as to what those travel credits can be used for or how long they will be valid. They are not answering owners who are offering to reschedule the renter using the points for as long as they are valid. Davidís just wants the cash but isnít passing that on to the renter. They are also holding on to remaining 30% they held onto or any portion of their $4.50/point commission. IOW, Davidís is looking to make themselves whole right now at the expense of the owners and renters.

I hope you can get a resolution to your issue. Everyone is being hurt one way or another by this pandemic. Canceling a much anticipated trip hurts but taking a financial hit on top of that really smarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
What ???
So if the owner agrees to a Refund, then David keeps the money and gives the Renter Travel Credits ?
The details have been sketchy to me because I don't rent out and haven't followed the process closely.

Based on these reports, a casual reader would understand that:
  • The Owner is out commission.
  • David gets to keep all cash and invest it or let it earn interest or whatever he does with it.
  • David gets to keep the commission.
  • The renter gets a credit to be used at a later time with no specifications on how long it's valid or when it can be used.
  • Owners who want to work out an alternate solution are being ignored by David
  • Owner gets absolutely nothing out of this.
  • Renter gets to potentially rent something somewhere for some duration of time that David hasn't clarified.
  • David gets to keep all money: the 30% they are holding onto, the 70% the owner gives back, and the commission.
  • Global pandemic hits, putting millions in financial jeopardy including the company that owns the timeshares, and David doesn't lose a dime.

Now, that's a casual reading. Maybe it's different in the details. Did I misunderstand anything?

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #148
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom
 
JudieHopps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Zootopia, PA
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The details have been sketchy to me because I don't rent out and haven't followed the process closely.

Based on these reports, a casual reader would understand that:
  • The Owner is out commission.
  • David gets to keep all cash and invest it or let it earn interest or whatever he does with it.
  • David gets to keep the commission.
  • The renter gets a credit to be used at a later time with no specifications on how long it's valid or when it can be used.
  • Owners who want to work out an alternate solution are being ignored by David
  • Owner gets absolutely nothing out of this.
  • Renter gets to potentially rent something somewhere for some duration of time that David hasn't clarified.
  • David gets to keep all money: the 30% they are holding onto, the 70% the owner gives back, and the commission.
  • Global pandemic hits, putting millions in financial jeopardy including the company that owns the timeshares, and David doesn't lose a dime.

Now, that's a casual reading. Maybe it's different in the details. Did I misunderstand anything?

Dirk

Donít think you misunderstood, thatís the way I have been reading it...

I have not rented or rented out points so I have been curiously following this thread.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #149
Oh_Joy!
Studio
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The details have been sketchy to me because I don't rent out and haven't followed the process closely.

Based on these reports, a casual reader would understand that:
  • The Owner is out commission.
  • David gets to keep all cash and invest it or let it earn interest or whatever he does with it.
  • David gets to keep the commission.
  • The renter gets a credit to be used at a later time with no specifications on how long it's valid or when it can be used.
  • Owners who want to work out an alternate solution are being ignored by David
  • Owner gets absolutely nothing out of this.
  • Renter gets to potentially rent something somewhere for some duration of time that David hasn't clarified.
  • David gets to keep all money: the 30% they are holding onto, the 70% the owner gives back, and the commission.
  • Global pandemic hits, putting millions in financial jeopardy including the company that owns the timeshares, and David doesn't lose a dime.

Now, that's a casual reading. Maybe it's different in the details. Did I misunderstand anything?

Dirk
Iíve been following pretty closely and youíre synopsis is pretty spot on.

They have deleted any Facebook posts that challenge them about this and wonít answer their phone or give answers thru email. This smacks of a company that is scrambling to remain solvent. Iím just hoping that theyíre around long enough to pay me the balance due on an August reservation that I made for them.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #150
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa
 
JCinWonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,316
Default

Following along and quite disturbed by this. As someone who will most certainly be looking to rent points in the future, and possibly rent out some of my own,, this does not sit well with me.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software