home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #121
IAVA247
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Davids confirmed in an email they will refund a portion of their commission to the renter, not the whole commission. Additionally, they confirmed that the owner will not receive the 30% that was due on check in, and they are pressuring the owner to return the 70% that was already paid.

So much for the "no cancellations" contract.

The renter failed to get travel insurance, and is refusing to re-book. The chances of these points being re-rented in this environment is low. So at a minimum, the renter will get back the 30% that was due the owner at check-in ($4.05 per point), plus an undisclosed percentage of the $4.50 per point in commission, and the owner is left with a loss.
IAVA247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #122
administrator
WAH-LAH!!!
I just ate a CHEETOS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAVA247 View Post
Davids confirmed in an email they will refund a portion of their commission to the renter, not the whole commission. Additionally, they confirmed that the owner will not receive the 30% that was due on check in, and they are pressuring the owner to return the 70% that was already paid.

So much for the "no cancellations" contract.

The renter failed to get travel insurance, and is refusing to re-book. The chances of these points being re-rented in this environment is low. So at a minimum, the renter will get back the 30% that was due the owner at check-in ($4.05 per point), plus an undisclosed percentage of the $4.50 per point in commission, and the owner is left with a loss.
So, it seems as if David is asking owners to "work from [their] heart[s]" and "let [their] conscience be [their] guide" while not expecting the same thing from himself?

It seems as if David is, indeed, intending to leave owners "holding the bag," while he is able to pocket a portion of the commission.

If the situation is as you describe it, it is grossly unfair to everyone but David. In fact, it may remove any and every advantage or protection there appears to be in utilizing a broker.

I find this development very disturbing.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #123
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

He has several employees. Maybe he can't return the entire commission because he used a good share of it to pay them. He always seemed to be a good person, so I think he is most likely doing the best he can with a very difficult situation that isn't his fault.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #124
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

VRBO is returning full fees and taxes and their insurance company is refunding the amount paid for property insurance. The owners are being asked to refund or at least split the loss. The owner I rented from Is not willing to split the loss but will give me a year to rebook. Unfortunately this is not going to work for us so I am out the amount paid to her. The amount of loss all around from financial, to emotional, to experiences and loss of life is going to be staggering when we all get back to life as normal and look back on it all.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #125
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
He has several employees. Maybe he can't return the entire commission because he used a good share of it to pay them. He always seemed to be a good person, so I think he is most likely doing the best he can with a very difficult situation that isn't his fault.

Over 40+ employees
Old 03-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #126
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
David is a mensch!

Cheers.
He is not a mensch on a bench, he is a businessman

I know he is in a difficult position, but has had years of tremendous profits and if it takes a month or so hit, well welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
So, it seems as if David is asking owners to "work from [their] heart[s]" and "let [their] conscience be [their] guide" while not expecting the same thing from himself?

It seems as if David is, indeed, intending to leave owners "holding the bag," while he is able to pocket a portion of the commission.

If the situation is as you describe it, it is grossly unfair to everyone but David. In fact, it may remove any and every advantage or protection there appears to be in utilizing a broker.

Me too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Over 40+ employees
That is a lot of employees and are they full-time or part-time or minimal-time. If so, that is a huge business.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #127
administrator
WAH-LAH!!!
I just ate a CHEETOS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post

I know he is in a difficult position, but has had years of tremendous profits and if it takes a month or so hit, well welcome to the club

Me too.....

That is a lot of employees and are they full-time or part-time or minimal-time. If so, that is a huge business.
I agree.

The problem with David’s situation is that you cannot have it both ways.

For years, he has reaped the enormous benefits (vacationing much or most of the time; growing a huge, money-making business that is essentially a brokering monopoly; building and purchasing [or so I’ve been told] a customized 40’ yacht; etc.) of offering his services (a model he essentially created) as protection — both for owners and for renters in the DVC points rental process.

But now, according to my understanding of the situation, it seems as if David has provided only the veneer of protection and propriety. Other companies are taking losses even though this terrible pandemic is not of their own making. And yes, that sucks. But IMO, David should do the same. Sometimes, as a business that self-insures (and this is what David apparently does; I was unaware of this), you have to suck it up. At minimum, David should be returning all of the commission for these transactions and splitting any losses (whichever way they go) with owners or renters. That’s what a business with integrity would do.

I would like to point out that as a way of defraying operating costs and enabling MO to operate without ads, I have accepted sponsorship money from David since 2011 or 2012. I also have disallowed mention of other brokers on MO. In this way, I complacently have become part of the problem. But as a result of this situation, I will not (as of 4/1) do that any longer.

I would like to also note that I had personally rented points (and borrowed 57 points to do so; Sep UY) to someone for a reservation in mid-May of this year. However, given the way things are going, I refunded their money and was/am willing to take the loss. (I haven’t yet tried to see whether DVC will allow me to “unborrow” those points.) Why? Because *I* said I would provide a service that I am not able to provide. David has said/implied the same thing — in fact, he has based his business model on that. He should do the right thing.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #128
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Thank you for your honesty and integrity. Though I have never had occasion to deal with David or even seriously consider it, I still appreciate your approach to this issue.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #129
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
I agree.

For years, he has reaped the enormous benefits (vacationing much or most of the time; growing a huge, money-making business that is essentially a brokering monopoly; building and purchasing [or so I’ve been told] a customized 40’ yacht; etc.) of offering his services (a model he essentially created) as protection — both for owners and for renters in the DVC points rental process.

But now, according to my understanding of the situation, it seems as if David has provided only the veneer of protection and propriety. Other companies are taking losses even though this terrible pandemic is not of their own making. And yes, that sucks. But IMO, David should do the same. Sometimes, as a business that self-insures (and this is what David apparently does; I was unaware of this), you have to suck it up. At minimum, David should be returning all of the commission for these transactions and splitting any losses (whichever way they go) with owners or renters. That’s what a business with integrity would do.

I would like to point out that as a way of defraying operating costs and enabling MO to operate without ads, I have accepted sponsorship money from David since 2011 or 2012. I also have disallowed mention of other brokers on MO. In this way, I complacently have become part of the problem. But as a result of this situation, I will not (as of 4/1) do that any longer.

I would like to also note that I had personally rented points (and borrowed 57 points to do so; Sep UY) to someone for a reservation in mid-May of this year. However, given the way things are going, I refunded their money and was/am willing to take the loss. (I haven’t yet tried to see whether DVC will allow me to “unborrow” those points.) Why? Because *I* said I would provide a service that I am not able to provide. David has said/implied the same thing — in fact, he has based his business model on that. He should do the right thing.
And this is about as upfront, straightforward, and with integrity as anyone could possibly be.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #130
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post

Me too.....

Quote:
I agree.

As most owners with rentals, I have been working tirelessly to accommodate new reservations.

I have rescheduled. I have extended contract deadlines. I may lose banked points - quite a few. And, in one special circumstance, I re-booked at a loss.

If I can do it, so can he.