home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
If anyone has a CP kid in a jam down here that needs some local help, feel free to pm us and we’ll see if we can help.
Beautiful! Very, very nice to offer!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Fortunately, there are reports that those expecting to start in late April or May have been told that nothing has changed for them.

I think Disney really has no choice at this point, and I suspect they have inside knowledge of what the next steps are, even if they don't know when they will be taken. This could be a bid to get the CP participants out while they can. Notice how Disney moved up the Paris closure before France announced their partial lock-down.

Also, young adults living in close quarters are going to become hot zones. Yeah, COVID doesn't affect the young as much or as seriously, but our youngest case in NJ is 17, infected by her 27 y.o. brother who went to a medical conference in Boston.

We have 2-3 infections in our community and one death. This is going to explode over the next week or so. NJ had a handful of cases (less than 10) when the week started. We ended yesterday with 70+. Additional reports came in overnight. Today's update will probably have us in the 80s or 90s.

TSA agent at MCO tested positive. Think about that.

Cruise ship passengers are still sailing out of Port Everglades where several contractors (i.e., those people who check you in and hand you your lanyards) have been infected.

Costa dropped off two suspect COVID cases in PR while then letting everybody else go ashore and return back to ship before word got out.

We're either going to have to go into complete non-essential lockdown (only work, doctor, grocery/pharmacy) for probably 30-45 days or surrender. And we can't surrender because we don't have a health care system capable of caring for everyone.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

We're either going to have to go into complete non-essential lockdown (only work, doctor, grocery/pharmacy) for probably 30-45 days or surrender. And we can't surrender because we don't have a health care system capable of caring for everyone.

Dirk
I have been saying this for weeks........just my opinion. I am no expert in anything - but unless we have a complete lockdown - this is not stopping for slowing down. I think we can all move on and maybe get back to some normalcy faster than if we keep waiting. Whatever little is done now, voluntary or otherwise, not working.

Even with a lockdown.........there will always be people who do not listen (young, old, etc). I see it in Italy. Like I said in my other post, nurses are crying begging people to please stay home. It's not as deadly to the young, but they need to consider those they will come in contact with.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
twingirls
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suejen View Post
I can confirm this. My son is a server at Le Cellier. His contract is up in September and he gets to stay. His girlfriend was set to stay until the end of March but is being told to vacate housing by the 18th. However, she is being paid until the end of the month. They are all getting paid.
Thankfully, they can both move out of those overcrowded apartments Disney puts them in and stay in our condo. We can’t use it because we’re stuck in the great White North due to a government travel advisory advising against all nonessential travel. ����
That is good to hear because the original reports people were posting didn’t say that. I wonder now when Disney hotels will shut down.
twingirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingirls View Post
That is good to hear because the original reports people were posting didn’t say that. I wonder now when Disney hotels will shut down.
I suspect by the end of the week. They probably need to give people time for people there to get home. Maybe phased closures - start moving people into a couple of resorts until they are cleared out.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
If anyone has a CP kid in a jam down here that needs some local help, feel free to pm us and we’ll see if we can help.
Incredibly kind offer. Thanks for doing that.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #17
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I suspect by the end of the week. They probably need to give people time for people there to get home. Maybe phased closures - start moving people into a couple of resorts until they are cleared out.

Dirk
This is more of a question. While Shanghai closed resorts, Tokyo did not. Not sure how many people want a resort only stay though.

Ohio has a decent ban. We can travel to work or the store. Schools are shut down which in turn keeps more home.

We long passed our containment window. Like the Columbus guy was tested on the 12th but had symptoms on the 6th. Two family members show symptoms but in isolation. No testing. No way we can contain that. I fully understand slowing the spread for our health care workers though.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #18
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

A wonderful offer from some wonderful people. I can personally attest.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #19
bassetbeauty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
I have been saying this for weeks........just my opinion. I am no expert in anything - but unless we have a complete lockdown - this is not stopping for slowing down. I think we can all move on and maybe get back to some normalcy faster than if we keep waiting. Whatever little is done now, voluntary or otherwise, not working.

Even with a lockdown.........there will always be people who do not listen (young, old, etc). I see it in Italy. Like I said in my other post, nurses are crying begging people to please stay home. It's not as deadly to the young, but they need to consider those they will come in contact with.
People aren't taking it seriously. Our schools have been shut down for weeks. Harvard, MIT, Amherst, Smith...and then all public schools started to follow suit. A number of people are looking at it as a "snow day". I walked past a indoor kids' playground/arcade and it was PACKED. I think the only way people will take it seriously is if stores and businesses close up...then they have nowhere to go.
bassetbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
ajc
Grand Villa

It makes sense that young workers are sent home.
In collective terms they are a population of true risk takers and rule breakers.
I'm not judging but just reflecting on human nature. The young and healthy will make questionable decisions on occasion and, oops, there goes a vector crowd.
Just think about the things we all did in our 20's that we surprise our mature selves with and reflect on the WTF behaviors we displayed.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote