home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #51
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Not sure that is a requirement. But he does have to have vision and be able to see beyond the now.
I don't know what should be a requirement, just that many dislike him for his lack of "Walt like" directions. I guess I feel he's more Roy like and less Walt like personally, but without both types, Disney could fail. Maybe better will emerge from him too. Not sure who really to blame for any cutbacks or how necessary they were.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #52
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
Pete Warner from DIS podcast says Bob Chapek goes cheap in the parks and makes unnecessary cutbacks.
LOL! Pete knows this because?

Talk about "Fake News"
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #53
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
LOL! Pete knows this because?

Talk about "Fake News"
He gave alot of examples of pretty extreme cuts in the parks.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #54
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
He gave alot of examples of pretty extreme cuts in the parks.
I think you're missing how much he is not well respected (for lack of better description). He's really burned a ton of bridges in his Disney lifetime.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #55
chunter
Two Bedroom

CEOs of three companies resign within 24 hours: Disney, Mastercard and Salesforce.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #56
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I think you're missing how much he is not well respected (for lack of better description). He's really burned a ton of bridges in his Disney lifetime.
Pete has burned bridges?
I can only say, that my experience in listening to Pete's podcast, he seems to know the Disney Parks really well, as do his employees, like Craig and Ryno. They seem very knowledgeable and one of the things I like about the podcast is, they will call out Disney when they are doing a sub par job in the parks, on the flip side, they will also talk about the things they are doing right in the parks.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #57
tgropp
One Bedroom

Bob Iger has invested heavily into the parks, maybe sometimes to heavily and with this came major increases in park admission and everything Disney at the parks making it almost unaffordable for the middle class. Many people have stated that all this may backfire if a major recession or some unforeseen incident may cause a decrease in maximum park attendance. Maybe a stock market downfall due to a Corona virus concern just may cause park attendance problems that Iger didnít want to stick around and see.
Dec 2014: VWL
Christmas 2013: VWL / BCV
Feb2013: AKV/Western Fantasy/BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riveria
Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010 : VWL
Nov 2009: BCV :
Dec 2008 : VWL/AKV
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL
Feb 2007: Dolphin/Magic Crusie/VWL/OKW
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL / Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New Years 2000: WL/BC
Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996: WL Jr Suite
Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992: CBR
1989/1983/ 1981: Offsite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #58
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Serious question for the conspiracy theorists here:

You spend 40+ years in media. You spend almost 30 years at the most respected media company in the world. You are CEO of that company for 15 years. You are one of the reasons it is the most respected media company. You are regarded as one of the best CEOs ever.

Do you step down because of stock plunge totally related to a virus threat that has yet to materialize, leaving what you built - and thus your legacy - in the hands of somebody who is not yet tested?

I can't imagine the level of cynicism it takes - absent other information - to believe somebody already with mega-millions is more interested in "getting out while the cash register still rings" than in safeguarding his legacy.

From reports, this has apparently been in the works since Thanksgiving. The Board unanimously supported the move (would the Board do that if they were scared of COVID?) and the man is staying on as a supervisor of the new CEO and with the responsibility of making sure the creative leads are in place before he leaves.

He's tidying up loose ends (creative leads), making sure his successor is fully prepped, and ensuring his legacy before his contract expires in 21 months.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote