home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
We have plans to go to Hong Kong for spring break. My older parents that watch the news non-stop are freaking out and telling us not to go.

I have asked our airline if we can get a refund but currently they are only offering refunds for travel through Feb 29th. We leave on April 4th.

My gut says the worst of it will have largely passed by then but we are taking a wait and see approach. If it gets worse after February we won't go.
I think Delta has suspended flights to mainland China through April 30 (I know they don't fly to Hong Kong); I wonder if others will feel pressure from their flight attendants and pilots to follow suit soon.

Would you rather get refunded and reschedule, or have flight and plans proceed?
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV, PVB; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
I think Delta has suspended flights to mainland China through April 30 (I know they don't fly to Hong Kong); I wonder if others will feel pressure from their flight attendants and pilots to follow suit soon.

Would you rather get refunded and reschedule, or have flight and plans proceed?
It's on Singapore Airlines so they may not have the same pilot union pressures. I can cancel and get a credit but it needs to be used by September and I don't have any other time to use the credit as we already booked for summer vacations. I'm going to hold out for a refund if things get worse.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I found at interesting that they said the death rate is 3%. The news makes it sound much higher than that. I'd like to hear from one person who got the corona virus and recovered. Never seen that on the news (or am I watching the wrong channels?)
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
It's on Singapore Airlines so they may not have the same pilot union pressures. I can cancel and get a credit but it needs to be used by September and I don't have any other time to use the credit as we already booked for summer vacations. I'm going to hold out for a refund if things get worse.
Credits are basically an airline's way of saying "sorry, not sorry" when they give such a short window of travel to redeem. I hope everything works out for you!
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV, PVB; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
TexasChick
Grand Villa

DH and I have a work trip to Vegas next week which I am slightly nervous about because so many people come to Vegas from around the world.

Weíve both had the flu shot too. Side note: I donít know about everywhere else, but the flu is going around like crazy here. My DD got Flu A even though she had the shot in the fall. Granted, she was only sick for 3 days. KNOCK ON WOOD. The other 3 of us didnít get it from her despite her literally coughing in my face a few times. Many friends and family members have gotten it this year too. Those who had the shot are sick for 2-4 days. Those who didnít have been sick for about a week. Stay healthy everyone!
Old 02-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #16
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
Credits are basically an airline's way of saying "sorry, not sorry" when they give such a short window of travel to redeem. I hope everything works out for you!
Plus the re-booking fees would be a third of the airfare.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

There have been between 10,000 and 25,000 deaths in the US from ordinary flu since October 1, 2019, compared to 8 cases and zero deaths from Coronavirus. Anyone considering cancelling a trip in the US because of Coronavirus should be utterly terrified of ordinary flu.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I found at interesting that they said the death rate is 3%. The news makes it sound much higher than that. I'd like to hear from one person who got the corona virus and recovered. Never seen that on the news (or am I watching the wrong channels?)
That's another thing to love about the media. But with so many reported cases and xx number of deaths there's a LOT of people recovering from it. That's just not as dramatic to report on.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
That's another thing to love about the media. But with so many reported cases and xx number of deaths there's a LOT of people recovering from it. That's just not as dramatic to report on.
They also leave out the many who are super mild and do not seek medical attention. The number of deaths per estimated cases is pretty tiny if you read sensible news sources.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Big time change in plans. Normally, I'd be drinking some sort of IPA tonight to get me through the cold weather. But hearing the word corona twenty times a day has an impact... No limes though.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote