home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
nrspepe
Grand Villa

Default Are We Crazy to Travel This Week?

DH and I are scheduled to fly to our St Augustine, FL 2nd home this weekend. We have even able, so far, to keep our direct flights via Orlando...hopefully reducing the amount of contact. We will need to rent a car for the drive north. We have loaded up on masks and sanitizers. Both of us are in decent health although we are just below the age where it becomes more dangerous.

I am at the point of being overwhelmed at work... it’s been crazy busy. I need a break! I know if I stay home during this time off, I will only end up working anyway. At first DH refused to travel. But, now he reluctantly agrees.

Our plans would not be much different than if we were home in NV except we will take morning walks on the beach. We also have a peaceful water view from our back patio. I look forward to take-out from some of our favorite eateries.

As we get closer to takeoff, I am having second thoughts. Are we crazy? Are we endangering ourselves, or possibly others, beyond an acceptable level? I need the break. But, am I not thinking this through?

Last edited by nrspepe; 04-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
DH and I are scheduled to fly to our St Augustine, FL 2nd home this weekend. We have even able, so far, to keep our direct flights via Orlando...hopefully reducing the amount of contact. We will need to rent a car for the drive north. We have loaded up on masks and sanitizers. Both of us are in decent health although we are just below the age where it becomes more dangerous.

I am at the point of being overwhelmed at work... it’s been crazy busy. I need a break! I know if I stay home during this time off, I will only end up working anyway. At first DH refused to travel. But, now he reluctantly agrees.

Our plans would not be much different than if we were home in NV except we will take morning walks on the beach. We also have a peaceful water view from our back patio. I look forward to take-out from some of our favorite eateries.

As we get closer to takeoff, I am having second thoughts. Are we crazy? Are we endangering ourselves, or possibly others, beyond an acceptable level? I need the break. But, am I not thinking this through?
Not at all! Go for it. Do all the sensible things you would normally do to protect yourselves and others and you should be alright. Sounds like you've thought this through. In the end, it's your personal decision.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom

I think if you are in a high risk group or live with someone in a high risk group, I wouldn't do it.

If not, then I would look at the recommendations from the local and state governments as well as the CDC and try to make a judgement. Every city/state is in a slightly different situation right now, so it's hard to make any blanket statements. Right now, I believe pretty much all official agencies would recommend that you not go, but things will likely change in the coming weeks.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
administrator
WAH-LAH!!!
I just ate a CHEETOS!!!

It has been reported that so many Americans are suffering from "Quarantine Fatigue" that the country will soon find itself in the same position (rising numbers of cases, rising numbers of deaths) it was in earlier in the year.

I thought about going to the grocery store myself this week instead of having stuff delivered or doing curbside pickup. But then I found myself thinking that I do not want to be part of contributing to the problem instead of being part of the solution. And so Eric continues to work from home and I continue to gain weight.

Part of the problem is that we know and understand so little about this disease.

I guess that in the end, I wouldn't be willing to risk it all for a vacation. If a family member of mine were sick and I *had* to travel, then I'd do it. But I wouldn't put myself and others at risk just for a vacation (one that you'll hopefully be able to take within a year).

I keep reminding myself that the malaise I feel is a First World problem, you know?
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
DeniseKayC
Grand Villa

I agree, I wouldn't do this for a vacation. I'm not sure how long you're staying, but it doesn't read like you would be there for more than a couple of weeks?

I might have a different opinion if this was your 2nd home where you go and stay for say the entire summer. If you planned to stay for the next 3-4 months or longer than I would be more likely to go.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

This kind of travel is currently being frowned upon. I know permanent residents up in Tahoe have been getting aggressive with vacation home owners that are heading up to the mountains to get away from it all.

Similar stories in Hawaii.

Tread carefully.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

It's so hard to not want to do what we would normally do nrspepe. Quarantine fatigue is real!

I have to agree with Kim. There is just too much that's unknown about how this virus effects those infected by it -- why it ravages one person (i.e. Nick Cordero) and others seem to be very sick, but recover (i.e. P!nk or Tom Hanks). The list of what ifs related to Covid-19 is pretty long.

If I was in your position, I would not travel, unless your plan is to not return to NV for quite a while and this is really a seasonal move to stay in FL.

Assuming the information is correct, the news is reporting that the planes are packed right now due to limited flights. There just is no way to "social distance" on the plane and who knows how careful or serious other passengers feel about taking precautions to reduce the spread of Covid-19.

Even if you did decide to take the risk and travel from NV to FL, IMO you should fully self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival, that means not leaving the house for 14 days once you arrive. And on your return you really would have to do the same. One month of quarantine to take a trip doesn't seem like it's worth the risk.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Right now non-essential travel is "strongly discouraged" by everyone's policies (CDC, all the states in Phase 1 opening, White House recommendations, etc)
i.e. It's very difficult to ban it because of the US Constitution, but they really, really, really don't want people traveling it they don't absolutely have to.

Trust me, I understand. I would dearly love to pack a bag and go somewhere right now, but as bad as I want to, I would not do it just yet.

I am not one who thinks we should all stay in until there is zero chance of getting sick. I really want these slow openings to be a huge success with minimal new severe cases so that we can take the next steps and get everything opened back up. In order to get there, I am willing to follow the guidelines. As much as I would like to get out, I know that a successful re-opening of the economy is far more important to me in the long term. To that end, I will do everything I can to ensure that I do not become part of the problem.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
DH and I are scheduled to fly to our St Augustine, FL 2nd home this weekend.

Personally, I would not go, since it is a leisure trip. People at any age can pass along the virus, whether or not an individual is at higher risk.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
This kind of travel is currently being frowned upon. I know permanent residents up in Tahoe have been getting aggressive with vacation home owners that are heading up to the mountains to get away from it all.

Similar stories in Hawaii.

Tread carefully.

Hawaii is trying to institute greater oversight measures, but the arrivals continue and have been spiking in recent days.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote