home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Default The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert)

We have the non-spoiler general thread, so this is for discussion of the movie with details.

For me, I was impressed that a person who's been dead for like 3 years (and since before filing started, I believe) got top billing. Not sure I've seen that before. And the treatment of Fischer was nothing short of amazing. A credit to the CGI folks on that one.

Maybe I missed it but, at the end, Rey buries Luke's and Leia's light sabers on Tatooine. And then she has a third. I don't know (or recall) where that one came from.

Somewhat disappointed that Chewbacca wasn't dead and that C3PO got full memory back (kudos to Anthony Daniels for 42 years). Having a little bit of bittersweet (Leia dying was predictable) would have helped.

Really a lot of light saber abuse.

Cheers.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Spoilers

DH was disappointed about Chewbacca too. I remember when they killed him off in the books years ago, and people FREAKED out.
I sure didn't want Chewie to go out like that in this movie. I was already making up scenarios where Lando finds him and nurses him back to health or something. ha.
I avoided spoilers, so was pleasantly surprised by Han Solo. Knew Wedge would be in the movie, so very happy to see him.
If I hadn't had a taste of the Jedi healing powers they just showed in Mandalorian, I would not have accepted that so easily in this movie. Not sure if it was planned that way. Movie played exactly like Return/Jedi, from everyone reunited to go on a mission (like all of them going to ENdor in ROTJ, to this time all of them going to those 2 planets together) to the Emperor tempting Rey with seeing the destsruction of her friends (like he tempts Luke)
I have enjoyed the Rey character throughout. She is wonderful. great acting. great development. I wanted a little more Kylo Ren in this one. I love his transformation> I actually was marveling that finally we get a Sith who could turn back to good and live...oh well. Sad ending.
Was disappointed that they didn't show Hera (from Rebels) as one of the pilots. Although we are pretty sure we see her ship, the Ghost, just a quick shot of her flying or celebrating at the end would've been awesome.
Loved all the Jedi voices, was hoping to see them as spirits or something, but voices were good.
DH didn't buy that they could build that fleet in such secrecy. I didn't care about that. I rarely concern myself with ships and technical SW stuff. I am more interested in the force/lightsabers, etc. so whatever. It is a bit unbelievable tho.
Loved the new Keri Russell character.
Overall, since they've already gone off in directions that I wouldn't have chosen, I was fine with how they wrapped it all up. Not perfect but good enough. kids enjoyed it a lot, and that's what it's all about, the kids, carrying on the saga for future generations, so be it....
I thoroughly enjoyed it, best of the sequels for sure.

Last edited by Jedimom3; 12-20-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
Crafty
Grand Villa

I really wanted an upbeat ending. I wanted to leave feeling good about the whole series and the world at large. Didnít get it.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'm glad they didn't just blow him up for no reason like Ackbar in 8. My biggest criticisms were around so odd dialogue, mostly in C3PO responses, and the frantic pace of the first half of the movie. I also don't get what they were trying to do with Lando and the female former stormtrooper at the end. Are they going on a mission in Disney+? Is that his daughter? Surely he wasn't trying to make moves on someone 50 years younger than him. There were a few things like that and the lightsaber stuff already mentioned that were curious and unexplained.... almost pointless.

But on the whole it was an enjoyable movie that completely changes the view of 7 and 8. I wonder how it'll feel rewatching those knowing that Palpatine was behind it all.

I see dead people
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado

In the last episode, it ends with us realizing that the Force is still in the galaxy (I think it was XIII). People on remote planets move things around, etc.

I fully expected that this would get used and play out in some sort of return to the Jedi order. "Rise of Skywalker" meant to me "return of the Jedi" with Rey as the new beginning.

Instead, she did the very predictable, "Rey, Rey Skywalker" at the end. Then nothing.

Was nice to have it end on Tatooine, back where it started. Although the place where Luke lived with Owen and Beru didn't look as blown up as it had 42 years ago, not to mention no overgrowth. A little too sentimental.

Now, if WDW will reconfigure SWGE, we'd be all set.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 12-20-2019 at 12:57 PM.
brp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
beachclubmum
Two Bedroom

So happy to see Wedge!

I also liked the set tie-ins to Rise of the Resistance. Not sure if that covered by the spoiler alert tho, so won’t be specific.

The medal for Chewie caused a lot of audience reaction. Good job there.

Last edited by beachclubmum; 12-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
beachclubmum
Two Bedroom

Noticed a few untied threads...leaving openings for future story line development?

1. Lando and girl with no last name interaction as has been mentioned

2. Finn and what he never finished telling Rey
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
Noticed a few untied threads...leaving openings for future story line development?

[brp] I wondered about this as well. Thinking daughter during the movie as others have said here.

[brp] He's in love with her. Thought that was pretty apparent throughout all these movies.
Cheers.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
Kreis76
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post

The Finn loves Rey story drove me freaking nuts. Hint at it over and over then nope she loves Ben and then no resolution to the storyline that they kept alive all movie long.
Kreis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
Kreis76
Studio

I was hoping they had the guts to kill Rey and let Ben live and he starts the Jedi over redeemed and reborn. But nope they wimped out had him sacrifice himself then disappear like all the other Jedi.
Kreis76 is offline   Reply With Quote