home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole > Community Hall Polls
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: When will WDW and DL reopen?
April 2020 2 2.56%
May 2020 25 32.05%
June 2020 30 38.46%
July 2020 10 12.82%
August - December 2020 9 11.54%
2021 or later 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #31
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I have been speculating/hoping for a Memorial Day weekend "soft" opening.

Still waiting for the closure extension announcement from Disney.
I agree that Memorial Day seems pretty reasonable.

It's a few weeks after 8 week guidance would expire from the CDC, in which after this time Disney could (hopefully) stagger the opening of attractions that are easier to keep people apart and open the large theater type attractions later. Some of the queues seem next to impossible to implement "social distancing", though they probably can get creative with the zig-zags to keep the lines from being right next to each other.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #32
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotunheim View Post
I agree that Memorial Day seems pretty reasonable.

It's a few weeks after 8 week guidance would expire from the CDC, in which after this time Disney could (hopefully) stagger the opening of attractions that are easier to keep people apart and open the large theater type attractions later. Some of the queues seem next to impossible to implement "social distancing", though they probably can get creative with the zig-zags to keep the lines from being right next to each other.
This will be a very interesting part of their reopening. Consider how many rides and attractions include some area or another in which we are to 'fill in all available space,' not to mention the fireworks crowds, the herd exiting from Fantasmic, etc.

They will likely make some changes, but the simple reality is that WDW could not implement any permanent opportunity for the social distancing that is the norm for this outbreak. People will have to return to being accustomed to being near one another at Disney and many other parts of our society.

To your point, this very issue could inform the rate and order of their reopening.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #33
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
This will be a very interesting part of their reopening. Consider how many rides and attractions include some area or another in which we are to 'fill in all available space,' not to mention the fireworks crowds, the herd exiting from Fantasmic, etc.

They will likely make some changes, but the simple reality is that WDW could not implement any permanent opportunity for the social distancing that is the norm for this outbreak. People will have to return to being accustomed to being near one another at Disney and many other parts of our society.

To your point, this very issue could inform the rate and order of their reopening.
They will create opportunity for social distancing by slashing capacity and keeping attractions/shows closed that encourage people cluster together.

I totally understand opening Epcot later. Have you ever tried to walk from World Showcase Plaza to Norway through Mexico once evening comes? That is one mosh pit on even average days.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #34
nrspepe
Grand Villa

I am really hoping for May1. We have a super short visit planned on our way to our FL 2nd home that first week in May. For whatever reason, I am really excited by this visit.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #35
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Posted this on another thread - hate to be a wet blanket but I think it's going to be a while. As long as there is concern about people traveling from hot spots, I just don't think any of the FL parks are going to be allowed to open.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #36
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Closed until further notice. Here's Disney's text:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

Quote:
Update on Walt Disney World Resort Operations

The safety and well-being of our Guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.

As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice.

We will continue to stay in regular contact with appropriate officials and health experts.

Below, you’ll find information on impacts to current and upcoming plans. Please continue to check back for additional updates.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Need to Adjust Your Travel Plans?
If needed, many reservations can be modified online via My Plans. And soon, we’ll share additional options for booking and modifying vacations.

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #37
hlyntunstl
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Honestly, at this point, I expect May 11 or later, and post-Memorial Day wouldn't surprise me. It will take several days to just ramp up to open (re-establish roles, training, stock, reconfigure lines, capacities, seating arrangements, aisle widths in stores, etc.).

WDW is not going to open up to the way things were before. I wouldn't be surprised to discover they have a "staff report" date followed by an open date 1-2 weeks
This. I voted June but really think (hope) it will be Memorial Day weekend. Mid-May will be 2 months and the additional time would allow for training. I already cancelled my May trip and am holding out for December.
hlyntunstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 AM   #38
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I think they were made aware of the 8 week reccomendation before it was announced.

There are a lot of things that weren't supposed to happen until May that were done preemptively, like cutting the entertainment at Epcot (especially BR) and ending the Spring DCP session, that makes me believe that they knew they wouldn't need them until then.
That's what I was thinking. Dismissing the college kids so abruptly was probably because they knew it wouldn't open soon and having all those GenZers confined under their supervision was a lawsuit waiting to happen. As we've seen GenZers are not good about staying home alone. (I say that with love and experience. All my nieces and nephews are GenZers.)

Upcoming:

Oct 18-Nov 14 (BLT, SSR, Cypress Harbour, Family & Friends Birthday Blowout)

Completed: NYE Dec 29-Jan 3 (BLT) Me + 4 Gen Ys, Florida Sep 29- Nov 2 (B-day trip), Florida March 3-23 (Cypress Harbour 3-16, Bay Lake 17-23), Williamsburg with the family, June 21-28, 2019
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #39
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Posted this on another thread - hate to be a wet blanket but I think it's going to be a while. As long as there is concern about people traveling from hot spots, I just don't think any of the FL parks are going to be allowed to open.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I know we now have the hindsight of the parks being closed "indefinitely" but, I agree with you tink. I voted August - December.

The virus will not be going away [most likely] anytime soon. If it does burnout, that would be a miracle, but I don't see that happening. Amusement parks have always been a Petri dish and this virus is obviously very communicable, so that creates big issues for keeping this thing at bay.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #40
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Universal just announced closure through at least May 31st. I'd expect Disney to follow with something similar.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote