home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #131
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAVA247 View Post
Davids confirmed in an email they will refund a portion of their commission to the renter, not the whole commission. Additionally, they confirmed that the owner will not receive the 30% that was due on check in, and they are pressuring the owner to return the 70% that was already paid.

So much for the "no cancellations" contract.

The renter failed to get travel insurance, and is refusing to re-book. The chances of these points being re-rented in this environment is low. So at a minimum, the renter will get back the 30% that was due the owner at check-in ($4.05 per point), plus an undisclosed percentage of the $4.50 per point in commission, and the owner is left with a loss.
The email I received from Davids after I had refunded the money said they had refunded the full amount to my renter, including their portion in full. It even gave the amounts, which add up to include their percentage.

If I can work out how to redact both mine and the renterís personal data from the email, Iíd be happy to post it on here.

So I for one am withholding judgement on the company. It seems to me they are doing everything they can.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #132
poster44
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
The email I received from Davids after I had refunded the money said they had refunded the full amount to my renter, including their portion in full. It even gave the amounts, which add up to include their percentage.

If I can work out how to redact both mine and the renterís personal data from the email, Iíd be happy to post it on here.

So I for one am withholding judgement on the company. It seems to me they are doing everything they can.
It's possible there was already a chargeback initiated, which means the full payment made by the renter was already taken from his account. If so, the broker would be unable to limit the refund. Not saying that was the case, but another reason the full refund might have possibly occurred. With a chargeback, funds are removed almost immediately after the claim is filed. CC companies aren't in the barter business. And, they know their clients are the cardholders, not the vendors, and rule as such.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #133
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster44 View Post
It's possible there was already a chargeback initiated, which means the full payment made by the renter was already taken from his account. If so, the broker would be unable to limit the refund. Not saying that was the case, but another reason the full refund might have possibly occurred. With a chargeback, funds are removed almost immediately after the claim is filed. CC companies aren't in the barter business. And, they know their clients are the cardholders, not the vendors, and rule as such.
As far as I understand, a chargeback has to be made within 6 months. This rental was made a year ago and paid in full then. Iíve seen a couple of people elsewhere try a chargeback and their bank turned it down.

It felt right to us to refund. And Iím glad Davids refunded their cut too. Although it hurts we reckon we havenít actually taken a loss, even though the money went towards last summerís Washington DC trip. We may lose the value of the points but it hasnít cost us anything except perhaps the fall in the pound. Weíve just handed back money we got.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #134
poster44
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
As far as I understand, a chargeback has to be made within 6 months. This rental was made a year ago and paid in full then. Iíve seen a couple of people elsewhere try a chargeback and their bank turned it down.

It felt right to us to refund. And Iím glad Davids refunded their cut too. Although it hurts we reckon we havenít actually taken a loss, even though the money went towards last summerís Washington DC trip. We may lose the value of the points but it hasnít cost us anything except perhaps the fall in the pound. Weíve just handed back money we got.
First, you are a very honorable person, IMO, and, as such, the Good Guy/Gal in this situation. The world is a better place because of ppl like you and thank you, for that.

The timeframe for chargebacks is murky, at best. I know David's used MC and Visa (which, compared to AmX, are a vendor's bffs), but if a Renter paid for an accommodation and it wasn't there, don't see anyway the cc company would decline to initiate the chargeback for the cardholder. If a renter did have accommodations available and decided not to stay, cc might decline to enter that fray.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #135
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
it seems as if David has provided only the veneer of protection and propriety.
Is David's really skimming commissions off transactions that are not happening due to cv? That's awful. How many times do they jump into a confrontational thread and point out -- this is why you should rent with us. Refund any cv case immediately. Yes owners will be stuck with sucky points but they should not be stiffed with those points AND commissions. I'm going to have to read back a bit deeper to be sure I'm getting this right.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #136
IAVA247
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Since there seems to be some doubt as to the veracity of my post, below are excerpts and summaries from my correspondence with David’s DVC.

They stated that the renter had requested the reservation be canceled. They asked if I would be open to helping the renter, either by returning the 70% amount already paid to me or rebooking the reservation. I asked if the renter purchased travel insurance. In addition to the travel insurance featured on the David’s website, I know there are many other travel insurers, including ones that offer “cancel for any reason” coverage. They responded that the renter had not purchased travel insurance, and claimed that David’s is “finding that most insurance companies are refusing to cover cancellations caused by COVID19.” I’m unclear how this would be, but perhaps this is related to the comment earlier that David’s self-insures. I would have presumed that the insurance advertised on his website from was from an insurance company. I asked if they were refunding the company's commission. I inquired about the status of the 30% due upon check-in.

They responded thusly (bold in original)
As the Resorts have been closed and accommodations do not exist, we will not be sending the final 30% of this payment on …. However we are certainly willing to re-rent the points and at that time if we are successful, we will be able to pay you the Owner the final 30%, along with reimbursing the [renter] in full.

If we are unble to re-rent the points, we will certainly be contributing a portion of our fee to the refund of the [renter] and will add it to the final 30% which you have agreed to waive. I don't think my asking about the 30% constituted agreement to waive the 30%.

This is an unprecedented and stressful time for all, and we are not looking to profit off of the loss of the Owners and Guests in any way. All commission we make is funnelled back into the business in the form of employee salaries to keep us running, and so whilst we are unable to provide the full refund to the guest, we will be returning a portion of our fee (as much as we can) whilst still remaining in operation.

I do not know why others received different responses regarding the commissions.

Last edited by IAVA247; 03-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
IAVA247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 PM   #137
gsoares0411

Default Davidís ...worst customer service ever.

Very disappointed in their idea of customer service. I had two nights I purchased at Walt Disney World for March 29th and 30th. After more than a week of communications, that included the response "If the Owner is unable to return the funds, we can look into alternative options for your reservation." I was told today there are no options, they can't help me. Travel insurance does not cover a pandemic. I understand that they have a no-cancellation;non-refundable policy; however, this was not a cancellation on my end but a situation in which the product was rendered unavailable. I have had numerous other no-cancellation and non-refundable purchases for this trip (i.e. airline tickets, park tickets, Disney giftcards, etc.) and each of those companies were able to work with me to provide some type of future compensation. My understanding of contract law is that if the service contracted is unavailable, the contract is void.

The worst part is the owner has points he canít use due to end of use year (I guess they were 2nd year banked points)...Iím out all of my money...and I have a feeling Davidís kept their commission plus the 30% they held back from the owner. When I inquired about this they stopped all communication with me.
gsoares0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #138
stlrod

I can't say that any of this surprises me about David's. We saw a glimpse of this when people could not get refunds following Hurricane Irma.

I frequently rent using this Board and am very grateful for the opportunity it offers. However, most of the reservations I rent are at hard-to-find times that I have strung together 1-2 nights at a time, always within the 7 month mark. Because inventory is scarce (usually non-existent), I charge $18-19 per point. I often hear, "You charge as much as David's." Since Irma, I have been telling people, if David's has the ability to get you the reservation for the nights you need, then rent from David's but only after you check with people who rented from him during Irma. People who rent from David's or another broker need be aware that the points are often at the end of their life. I like that this board requires you to list where the points come from.

Since I always book in the same period as it is easier to search, I had 6 rentals booked between 3/15 and 3/31. (I'm going to need to re-think that plan.) Here is how I handled each:

6 nights at Poly donated for a charity auction--rebooked to last week of October.

2 nights at VGC (refunded as I'm not getting that one again.)

5 nights at CCV-rebooked for end of July.

4 nights at BWV--1/2 refunded in cash and other 1/2 refunded in points credit good through 2/28/21.

4 nights at Poly--same as above.

4 nights at BWV--same as above.

Everyone has been very happy with the way I have responded, with one renter saying she had prepared herself to accept, "Sorry you're out of luck."

I hope other owners will do everything they can to help people who have had their vacation plans disrupted, especially if DVC bends the rules for them.

I should mention I did have one very unhappy customer during this period-ME! I had managed to get 4 nights at VGC 1 night at a time over a weekend in March which I decided to use myself once I got to 3 nights. Those of you who don't own at VGC like me know what a Herculean task that was. Oh well, I'm holding out hope for the Fall. One night so far and counting....

Last edited by stlrod; 03-26-2020 at 07:07 AM.
stlrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #139
Oh_Joy!
Studio

It appears that Davidís is offering a credit for a future reservation to renters affected by the March closure.

As an owner, Iíve got to wonder just how he intends to pay the owners whose points were used for that future reservation? He wonít be collecting from the renter because theyíre using a credit. So where is the money going to come from?
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #140
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Following
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote