home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

Default WDW closed until April 10 (at least)

The order from Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demmings would seem to prevent Walt Disney World from opening any earlier than April 10, 2020.

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 the mayor will sign a "stay at home mandate" which will run for a period of 2 weeks.

The order is likely to encompass non-essential entertainment venues like the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Universal Studios Orlando has also announced that it will remain shuttered until at least April 19, 2020.

Both of these dates are subject to extension.

Disney has not issued any operational updates for Walt Disney World other than they are scheduled to remain closed through March 31, 2020, although that date appears certain to be extended.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/
Old 03-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

I believe this order is late. When they saw WDW closed at their own they should have done this earlier to stop the spread. Orlando gets tooooooo many foreign traffic.

New York is paying the price for the same reason.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Great3
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I believe this order is late. When they saw WDW closed at their own they should have done this earlier to stop the spread. Orlando gets tooooooo many foreign traffic.

New York is paying the price for the same reason.
Agree, why start in a couple days, why not start now?

Great3
Great3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Any thoughts on what will happen with Disneyland? I'm thinking they will shut down too till April 9th. Of course the 10th starts Easter weekend with the 10th being Good Friday.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Doctor View Post
The order from Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demmings would seem to prevent Walt Disney World from opening any earlier than April 10, 2020.

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 the mayor will sign a "stay at home mandate" which will run for a period of 2 weeks.

The order is likely to encompass non-essential entertainment venues like the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Universal Studios Orlando has also announced that it will remain shuttered until at least April 19, 2020.

Both of these dates are subject to extension.

Disney has not issued any operational updates for Walt Disney World other than they are scheduled to remain closed through March 31, 2020, although that date appears certain to be extended.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/
What's the Governor of Florida doing in this case? The Mayor doesn't have the authority to sign this order, does he? I thought this was one of the issues that happened between the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
patty57
Two Bedroom

The Columbia University study published in the New York Times, showed that Florida will peak around mid-May with no restrictive measures in place. With restrictive measures, and a flattening of the curve, the peak in Florida will be around mid-late June.
I would be shocked if WDW opens before late summer. I hope I'm wrong, but the data suggests otherwise.

Here's the link. http://https://www.nytimes.com/inter...-outbreak.html

Last edited by patty57; 03-24-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added link to study
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
patty57
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
What's the Governor of Florida doing in this case? The Mayor doesn't have the authority to sign this order, does he? I thought this was one of the issues that happened between the Mayor of NYC and the Governor of NY.
I think the main issue between them was that the governor told the mayor to get his head out of his ass and close the schools.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I think the main issue between them was that the governor told the mayor to get his head out of his ass and close the schools.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
The Columbia University study published in the New York Times, showed that Florida will peak around mid-May with no restrictive measures in place. With restrictive measures, and a flattening of the curve, the peak in Florida will be around mid-late June.
I would be shocked if WDW opens before late summer. I hope I'm wrong, but the data suggests otherwise.

Here's the link. http://https://www.nytimes.com/inter...-outbreak.html
Article link not resolving for me. But if they're saying that it will peak earlier with no restrictions, I'd have to ask what they were smoking when they did the analysis.

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
patty57
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Article link not resolving for me. But if they're saying that it will peak earlier with no restrictions, I'd have to ask what they were smoking when they did the analysis.

Cheers.
Flattening the curve causes the peak to extend farther into the future. The peak would also be much smaller. The point being it allows the health care system to not be totally overwhelmed.

Not sure why the link isn't working, but it was in the paper on March 20th if you're interested.

Last edited by patty57; 03-24-2020 at 08:57 PM.