home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Default How would you theme FoP bedroom?

We are on track to close on a 4 bed, 3.5 bath 1850 sq ft townhouse 20 minutes from WDW later this month. See: Yep, Buying Offsite for that story. After seeing the unit, it needs a complete repaint and new furniture. This gives us a wonderful chance to theme it, albeit on a tight budget. My DD loves dragons & her favorite ride is Flight of Passage. I’m trying to talk DH into theming the different rooms to different rides. He’s not buying it. I need some help. How would you theme a bedroom to Flight of Passage?

Which other rides would you use for the other rooms?

I appreciate all suggestions. Images or links to specific products would be especially helpful! Thank you in advance!!

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
We are on track to close on a 4 bed, 3.5 bath 1850 sq ft townhouse 20 minutes from WDW later this month. See: Yep, Buying Offsite for that story. After seeing the unit, it needs a complete repaint and new furniture. This gives us a wonderful chance to theme it, albeit on a tight budget. My DD loves dragons & her favorite ride is Flight of Passage. Iím trying to talk DH into theming the different rooms to different rides. Heís not buying it. I need some help. How would you theme a bedroom to Flight of Passage?

Which other rides would you use for the other rooms?

I appreciate all suggestions. Images or links to specific products would be especially helpful! Thank you in advance!!
Well if you donít have a Haunted Mansion room that would be a huge wasted opportunity!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

If you're daughter likes the idea, theming on dragons might be a lot easier than FOP specifically. Theming on FOP means theming on Avatar. No idea how available such items are. Generic dragons may be easier to find.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Hey, I'll start thinking about it. I think it would be cool if each room had a theme/references to a park, like an AK room, Epcot room, etc. or even Universal.
We rented a house year before last, and I loved the Disney touches they had around. Rooms were not really themed, but just having some plush, lamps, pillows, blankets, etc. w Mickey was really cool. I wish they'd had a lot more!

I also remember you asking about what to include in your guest book.
I was only at the house 2 days, 1 night, so didn't get as good of a feel as DH and kids did, They were there the whole week.
He did say it would be good if the book had the same info as the online Airbnb site. He remembers being a little surprised at some things in the book that were never mentioned online, certain additional restrictions, etc. not sure if their book was just out of date or what. Like it didnt' all match.
over all it was good experience.

Good luck with getting it all set up!!!
Jedimom3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
If you're daughter likes the idea, theming on dragons might be a lot easier than FOP specifically. Theming on FOP means theming on Avatar. No idea how available such items are. Generic dragons may be easier to find.
I agree. Theming it on ďHow to train your DragonĒ would be easier. I know itís not Disney but I assume sheís seen the movies and/or read the books. If not, you should check them out, the books are humorous and perfect for 7/8 yrs+
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Haunted Mansion - maybe. Perhaps for the downstairs bedroom. That’s going to appeal to serious fans a lot. Casual fans might not get it though.

Generic dragons might work. DD likes how to train your dragon. Her favorite series is Wings of Fire. Thinking about Orlando, there are also the Harry Potter dragons and the Legoland dragon coaster. So that might be more versatile than I was first thinking.

Yes on guestbook being up to date. That seems important to me. One thing I noticed on our weekend trip was a U pick citrus place within 10 minute drive. My brothers family did that on our November trip & loved it. So I will incorporate some old Florida touches like recommending a visit there.

This is helpful. Please keep suggestions flowing!

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

I'd put the room on hydraulic jacks with sensors. When the rooms senses that there is somebody is asleep in the room, have it start "flying" around.

Though that might not fit within the "tight budget".
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I've been following your whole journey! So fun to live vicariously...

I'm more of a fan of subtle touches in theming. Like a sky blue paint with a few dragon prints (like this) with fake plants/greenery on dressers/windowsills. Any type of theming you do won't appeal to everyone and if it's too over-the-top it could turn off potential renters.
disneyteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
flypwm
Two Bedroom

I might be lame, but I'll throw this out there. I'd personally opt for some theme-appropriate paint on the walls, preferably lighter tones, and some framed artwork representing the theme/land/ride/whatever. Maybe some plants, and some floor lighting that fits the theme.

Heavily themed rooms tend to not age well. It may quickly feel straight out of the 80s/90s no matter what you do.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

We spent some time flipping through pics this weekend. I keep coming back to Poly studios. While I still think DVC wasted an opportunity to do a really cool floor plan for Poly studios, I dig the look. The bed in particular- although kind not queen size - is a look I like a lot. We could do something like that with prints or decals to liven up the rooms. I do think something bolder would photograph well. Evidently thatís important. DH will pick paint colors. He is good at choosing the right color while I shrug & say maybe some shade of blue.

Amy's Blog