home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Other Vacations After Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Disney Resort Stays - Post DVC

So, I'm seeing a lot of Swan/Dolphin in my future. I know right now Disney isn't offering many (if any) discounts and next summer is a far way off, but I just did a test:

Swan, King, resort view with balcony, AAA Rate - $260 /night

Caribbean Beach, King, no guaranteed view - $300 / night.

I imagine I could do better once discounts return, but still - Swan, King, with balcony for less than Disney moderate? I know where we would end when we start going back.

And a typical stay for us at the Swan would be cheaper than our annual DVC expenses.

For those of you who do Disney after selling DVC, where do you stay?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Don't overlook the Holiday Inn at Downtown Dis. They get FP+ and a bus to the parks (just specific times).

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Don't overlook the Holiday Inn at Downtown Dis. They get FP+ and a bus to the parks (just specific times).
There are a few others to look at there as well. I used to always stay at DtD hotels or Swalphin pre-DVC and would even when out of points post DVC.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Joel0917
Grand Villa

keep in mind Swan as a high parking rate per day and $35 daily resort fee.
Stayed: SSR, AKV, AKL, THV, All star music, sprots and movies, , Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR, Coronado, CCV and BRV, Poly, VGF, Port Orleans, Swan & Dolphin
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x, Dream 1x
Upcoming:
Riviera Aug 2020
Boardwalk Oct 2020
Aulauni Dec 2020 for NYE
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
Joeli
Grand Villa

We used to stay at The Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista. Short drive, kiddie pool, as well as an amazing happy hour (with lots of food/snack choices), free breakfast, and I believe shuttle to parks. We always drove. One caveat, room prices varied based on location in the hotel..cheap ones were facing the highway. We always upgraded using points to be on a high floor away from that and some sound gap from the pool. Lol

I have also heard good things about the Sheraton Vistana on I drive..but we have never made it. Another different and fun option is the Gaylord Palms on Osceola.

Upcoming:
2021 (Mar - BWV, May - PVB, Jul - DCL Fantasy)
2020 (Nov - PVB, Dec/Jan - PVB/BWV)

Done:
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV)
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Lion King/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We used to stay at The Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista. Short drive, kiddie pool, as well as an amazing happy hour (with lots of food/snack choices), free breakfast, and I believe shuttle to parks. We always drove. One caveat, room prices varied based on location in the hotel..cheap ones were facing the highway. We always upgraded using points to be on a high floor away from that and some sound gap from the pool. Lol

I have also heard good things about the Sheraton Vistana on I drive..but we have never made it. Another different and fun option is the Gaylord Palms on Osceola.
We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana with friends who own there. It was okay. It's in a congested area so going anywhere was a pain. Sat in traffic a bit. The rooms were decent but no theme like Disney. They have several pools and restaurants and other activities (DDs did an Escape Room). We went to SeaWorld from there one day and it was okay. Kind of a pain to go places from there. Our friends, who own, they don't tend to do Disney parks when staying there. They go to Walmart (which was also a nightmare with long lines and crowds) and get a big load of groceries. They hang by the pool all day and cook their own meals. They usually do a day at Universal.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Whenever we go to WDW, we wouldn't stay off site. Otherwise, we would just go to Disneyland.

While Swolphin have parking and resort fees, so do the cash Disney resorts, and even with those fees tacked on, Swolphin with AAA is cheaper than Disney deluxes.

I'm actually starting to understand CarolA's "Economics of Disney" posts!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote