home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #51
brp
Add-on Aficionado

You should do as you feel appropriate. And certainly do what makes you feel good about yourself.

Is what you suggest difficult? Not at all. Nor is doing the same for the person who crawls around vacuuming the rental car, easily as strenuous an occupation whose base salary is also not based on the assumption of tips. Assuming that folks do that as well? You know, to feel good about themselves?

And, as one who makes a bed daily, I'll assert that if one is lifting the mattress to do this, one is doing this incorrectly and inefficiently.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 10-10-2018 at 11:01 PM.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #52
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

I have never left a tip for the maid except on checkout day, when I usually leave a twenty as the kitchen is generally a bit of a mess with leftover food and dirty dishes. Iím just not organized enough to have the necessary bills and to remember to tip on the appropriate days during our stay.

I wish that DVC (and hotels in general) gave the option of having a tip for the maid charged to the room account automatically for each day of service.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #53
bluecruiser
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I tip on days housekeeping provides service (every 4 days). A different person may do housekeeping each time, so it's not fair for the last person to get all the tips.

I don't tip on other days when there's just the quick trash service/security check.

My trip next month will be the first time under the new daily trash/security check, so my only concern is how to make sure the money is received by the person who does the actual housekeeping in the room that day, not the person who does the quick daily trash. Any recommendations?
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 AM   #54
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We always tip Mousekeeping at the end of our trip. If we have an extra need, like asking for additional towels or some other "extra" task.....I will tip for that service.
This is what we do as well as we decline all mid-trip cleanings and trash/towel visits. We don’t want the security checks that are masqueraded as daily trash service but understand that we can’t opt out of those. I don’t tip for those visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
I tip because I actually make my bed daily and I think it is hard work.
The bunk beds at the Grand Californian made me feel really bad for housekeeping. Talk about difficult. Do they still have those 3 layer bunk beds with trundle?
My understanding is that the bunk beds (and bath tubs) were removed when they renovated the hotel. I *think* the same was true for the room configuration with the king size bed and pullout couch, but I’m not positive about that one.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #55
Jillybean315
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
And used to make the cute little wash cloth animals and mix them in with the kids toys. The kids would always get such a kick out of coming back to the room each day to see what their toys had done while they were out in the parks! Good memories...
Yes!!!! I can't even blame the kids though... I still get a kick out of the little towel animals!

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016
Beach Club Villas: September, 2016
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018

Upcoming: June, 2019

(Me) (DH) (DS age 13) (DD age 10)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #56
Disnydad
Two Bedroom

My daughter in law works as a housekeeper at a Hilton Homewood Suites and some days can clean up to 17 rooms and not get a tip at all. Other days she can clean the same number of rooms and come home with $40 (current high).

Too many WDW visits to count now that I live nearby part time, 1 DL trip & 5 Disney Cruises.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #57
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disnydad View Post
My daughter in law works as a housekeeper at a Hilton Homewood Suites and some days can clean up to 17 rooms and not get a tip at all. Other days she can clean the same number of rooms and come home with $40 (current high).
This is why I think that on checking in, a guest should be asked if they want to have a $2 per day tip added to their account for the maid. Most people would probably agree.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #58
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
This is why I think that on checking in, a guest should be asked if they want to have a $2 per day tip added to their account for the maid. Most people would probably agree.
I would rather them build it into their salaries and not require an extra charge personally. I mean I'd be fine with it, but I hate extra fees. I'd rather know I pay more giving them more of a salary than a dollar here or there anyway.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #59
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I would rather them build it into their salaries and not require an extra charge personally. I mean I'd be fine with it, but I hate extra fees. I'd rather know I pay more giving them more of a salary than a dollar here or there anyway.

I have said before, that when we first started vacationing we didn't understand to tip the housekeeper - just didn't think about it. It wasn't until the forums that I realized we were suppose to be tipping so like 10 vacations - Disney and elsewhere - without tipping housekeepers.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #60
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post

I have said before, that when we first started vacationing we didn't understand to tip the housekeeper - just didn't think about it. It wasn't until the forums that I realized we were suppose to be tipping so like 10 vacations - Disney and elsewhere - without tipping housekeepers.

Basically anyone that provides a service to you, you are suppose to tip. How much depends on the level of service and what is established protocol. Honestly, I never knew either until my 30's......