home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Downsizing DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #171
ba6793
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Think about how frequently you are likely to go and what accommodations you need.

Honestly, if we had a small contract, I probably would have kept it and used to for a trip every three years. WE could go more frequently, or less frequently, but that would have worked for us.

My big learning in all of this is to advise newbies, or any owner, really, to get a small contract "just in case."

Dirk
Sage advice. We decided to add a resale today for AKV. I specifically chose a small contract of only 100 points to bring us up to 226 total (126 at Poly for the blue card). It's just enough for a holiday trip every few years and a quick getaway when visiting in-laws each summer or if I want to drive down on my own. We use the rest of our vacation money on other trips, like a cruise to Spain. I don't see us giving up Disney, but I also don't see the value in large contracts for what we get.
ba6793 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #172
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

I always found it annoying having three contracts, but after reading here maybe Iíll be glad we have 160, 100 and 60 at AKV.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #173
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
We looked at the quarter shares on HH. There are some that are really nice. The one in shelter cove has a great location, but also high MFs. It has an additional cleaning fee every time you use it.

For us, the idea of two weeks every two months on HHI was appealing. What we didnít like was the lack of flexibility. The weeks rotate and are predetermined by the company. We like Halloween on HHI. In the quarter share we wouldnít be able to get it every year. Maybe only once in 4 years? Iím not sure.

After the flexibility of the DVC, the quarter share seemed restricting. Also, we arenít interested in trying to rent weeks. Too much hassle.

That left us looking for a cottage. There is not a lot of availability in the area right now. We may have to wait a bit to find the perfect affordable place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
The quarter share dues are high but cover eveything...utilities, taxes, pool, maintenance, internet, renovations, furnishings, insurance...and the buy in is so cheap. Can get for about $20K...some less and some more (2BR). And at the shelter cove one they have management company that rents out for you the weeks you can't use. The Shipyard one, which has its own private gate to beach (2 block walk), they do not rent for you. You have to manage that yourself (some do VRBO) but with the gate and walk to beach that shelter cove does not have...it is easier to rent.

Just food for thought.

But I watch the condo listing too and they are few and far between. When one lists it gets grabbed up super fast. It is a sellers market there for sure.
Yes, HHI is definitely a tough market right now.
The brand new K Hovnanian community Hammock Breeze in Mitchelville is completely sold out, I was shocked.
Bluffton is booming as well.
My Realtor set up a search for lots on Hilton Head Island for me and once COVID hit, I went from 10-15 results a week to the same 5 lots since July.
Many people pulled the trigger on purchasing homes due to extensive virtual work.

I have a realtor I love, but if you decide on a retirement home, gogated realty has very nice YouTube videos of all the area communities and home tours.
I want a home to leave my stuff. Like a big OL.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #174
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Solo trips work too if there's that much whining.
sounds A-OK to me.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #175
Boz
Studio

We are in the process of selling our VGC contract, which will leave us with 500 points. We just don't foresee going to California again, unless it's in our motorhome, in which case we don't need a hotel.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #176
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
Yes, HHI is definitely a tough market right now.
The brand new K Hovnanian community Hammock Breeze in Mitchelville is completely sold out, I was shocked.
Bluffton is booming as well.
My Realtor set up a search for lots on Hilton Head Island for me and once COVID hit, I went from 10-15 results a week to the same 5 lots since July.
Many people pulled the trigger on purchasing homes due to extensive virtual work.

I have a realtor I love, but if you decide on a retirement home, gogated realty has very nice YouTube videos of all the area communities and home tours.
I want a home to leave my stuff. Like a big OL.
We watched some of those YouTube videos. Looked at the 2 big Hardeeville 55+ neighborhoods too. We are only 47 but we could maybe get in...in a couple years. They've gotten pricey though. And so far to the beach. Especially prime season traffic time. One server (who lived out there) said it could take her an hour in traffic. But one could avoid that with timing (given you don't have to go over for a job or anything regularly scheduled).

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #177
Princess Tink
Studio

Default Add me to the list...

We have been owners since 2003, with our first purchase at BCV. We then added on around 2007, doubling our points with our purchase at AKV.

We are now empty nesters, with our one and only graduating college in December 2019. We had been pondering selling one contract since before then, but as many know that's a hard choice to make. Instead we planned an extended family trip for June 2020. We know what 2020 brought us! Actually we had 4 trips impacted during the shut down period last year. We went to WDW in September, to prevent a loss of previously banked points. Then came home and discussed the large amount of points we were going to carry into 2021. While we rescheduled the extended family trip, we still couldn't help but feel we just have too many points to manage for just the 2 of us. We enjoy trips, outside of Disney as well!

Dec 28 we finally made the decision to sell AKV. We listed Dec 29, had an offer by Dec 30, and a signed contract by Dec 31! The paperwork was sent to Disney on Jan 1, and today (Jan 14) it passed ROFR.

I'm happy with our decision, as we had a trip planned for my birthday next weekend, and had to cancel due to testing positive for Covid (yesterday). So, yet another trip being rescheduled. But at least I only have to worry about half the points now.

My hats go off to the sponsor of this board, they have been a great help and were quick to answer my questions. I sent 'requests' for information to them as well as another broker, and their helpfulness and communication is the reason i choose them. I would highly recommend them, if you're ever in the market to buy or sell.
Princess Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #178
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Tink View Post
Dec 28 we finally made the decision to sell AKV. We listed Dec 29, had an offer by Dec 30, and a signed contract by Dec 31! The paperwork was sent to Disney on Jan 1, and today (Jan 14) it passed ROFR.

I'm happy with our decision, as we had a trip planned for my birthday next weekend, and had to cancel due to testing positive for Covid (yesterday). So, yet another trip being rescheduled. But at least I only have to worry about half the points now.

Good luck with the resale!

Hope you have a mild covid experience!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #179
Princess Tink
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Good luck with the resale!

Hope you have a mild covid experience!
Thank you. It wasnít an easy decision, but ultimately I think we made the right choice. We still have our first love, BCV, and have trips planned throughout the year.

Thank you for the kind thoughts as well. As bad as I felt the last couple of days, I know it could be far worse and am thankful that some symptoms have already lessened. Iím also happy DH and I had a plan in place, in the instance one of us showed symptoms/tested positive. It allowed us to quickly and efficiently act, and so far he hasnít had any symptoms.
Princess Tink is offline   Reply With Quote