home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #61
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
I would never need a 1 bedroom, Studio or 2 bedroom for me but reallocation of points would work for me that way rather than redo seasons. You could still have a 1 bedroom with my layout just lock off the studio on the left.

when the issue looks to be too much demand for a specific room type and/or at a specific type of year, then point reallocation is the cleanest solution. If early December is getting to be such a hot time, it shouldn't be in the cheapest point season anymore. If studios are in more demand, shift them some with 1BR's. Using the example earlier, 30 standard 1BR's at BLT-that's just not very many for a popular resort. There are a lot of BLT owners- they can't all get the value / standard studios or 1BR's.

Now, I think DVC Direct Sales may gloss over room quantities at each resort for each room type. That likely has contributed to more smaller contracts (so more owners for same number of points) who are led to believe they can book the cheap room types at hot times. Though that's not the only cause- point inflation at newer resorts makes the cheaper rooms that much more attractive. And trying to avoid the difficulties of selling a 500 pt contract (less demand, so therefore lower price). For resale buyers- room counts can be tracked down, but it's also not something that's in your face when searching.

Point charts can be deceiving. The new 2019 ones added a row to show the point cost for a week, so there seems to be a willing to make some change. Perhaps at a minimum, the point charts should be modified to also show the room counts for each view type (value, standard, etc..) and room size (studio, 1BR, etc...). It would only take another table to be added into each point chart pdf.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #62
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post

After the last few studio stays we are going back to 1BR stays for the space and also for the ease of booking (majority of our points are BWV). Don't mess with my 1BRs, DVC.
We're also big 1BR BWV fans. lots of them, and good point charts. sure- older hotel and shorter time horizon, but a good tradeoff for us.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #63
DougEMG
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post

when the issue looks to be too much demand for a specific room type and/or at a specific type of year, then point reallocation is the cleanest solution. If early December is getting to be such a hot time, it shouldn't be in the cheapest point season anymore. If studios are in more demand, shift them some with 1BR's. Using the example earlier, 30 standard 1BR's at BLT-that's just not very many for a popular resort. There are a lot of BLT owners- they can't all get the value / standard studios f.

Reallocating the points to smooth out demand is the way the system is suppose to work.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #64
Nickys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I would never need a 1 bedroom, Studio or 2 bedroom for me but reallocation of points would work for me that way rather than redo seasons. You could still have a 1 bedroom with my layout just lock off the studio on the left.

A 1 bed with no shower in the master suite? Yeah, that's going to go down well with someone allocated that room. Ditto with the people allocated a studio without a balcony. People who book studios tend not to want a full kitchen, that would be of little consolation to them. Just like some people who get reassigned to a 2 bed suite when a villa is out of service. I'd be hopping mad if that happened to us, I want the kitchen and washer thanks. Others would be delighted!

If you have some rooms with less facilities then they would need to be a separate booking category, to be fair so that people knew what they were getting.

And I know there are hotel rooms with, say no balconies at BC. And that causes no end of complaints at the front desk.

Now if at Riviera they want to design rooms that could be split off as you describe, then ask them for a cut!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #65
FessParker1
One Bedroom

Some have asked about the DVC tour and buying a low number of points. I did the DVC tour in December after having done some of my research about the club. Our tour guide tried to sell us a hundred points or more right off the bat. He also explained that points could be used at any DVC Resort along with exchanging. When we said we wanted a minimum number of points he went right to 50 and pulled out an animal kingdom chart showing us that you could stay for nine points a night. This is creating a problem with people having too few points and only wanting basic studios. It gets billed as a way to try and save money for your vacations and you can do that if you like higher-end for a more than basic money. You get what you pay for, no free lunch in life.
FessParker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #66
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Some have asked about the DVC tour and buying a low number of points. I did the DVC tour in December after having done some of my research about the club. Our tour guide tried to sell us a hundred points or more right off the bat. He also explained that points could be used at any DVC Resort along with exchanging. When we said we wanted a minimum number of points he went right to 50 and pulled out an animal kingdom chart showing us that you could stay for nine points a night. This is creating a problem with people having too few points and only wanting basic studios. It gets billed as a way to try and save money for your vacations and you can do that if you like higher-end for a more than basic money. You get what you pay for, no free lunch in life.
i heard that!

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #67
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I do agree with you and what other posters said that most likely people don't look at the number of rooms in the low point categories in the buying stage. I know I didn't when I bought at VGC that there were only 23 studios at that property.

With the price of DVC climbing to the $200pp range (direct) it naturally leads to people buying less points. But, I think that the "economy" low point rooms have always been in demand.

As Dirk said, hopefully today's DVC guides are emphasizing flexibility when planning your DVC vacations by either changing your dates of travel, your room category, or your resort. I bought my first contract direct and remember my guide emphasizing flexibility, and for me, that is how I make it work. I'm fortunate to own enough points to step-up to a more expensive room if I need to, and at busy times, that's usually what ends up happening.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #68
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonRob View Post
Update:

So I went online at 0800 Hrs and made my reservation for Dec 12-14. I called at 0930 to make sure I had done everything right and while I was on the phone with the CM the 11th opened up. She nabbed it for me right away. Now the odd part to this is I had an active waitlist for the 11th so why in the hell did the night open up to the public? Not going to complain but WTF thats not how this system is supposed to work!

So the end is we have our reservation but it wasnt easy peasy lemon squeezy (sorry channeling Neegan on that)

The things im bitching about effect us all. We need to demand DVC look at these because there are flaws. Why are these flaws here and are these flaws here to benefit a certain group?
I don't think you should ever expect to have a reservation at a traditionally busy time (for DVC bookings) be "easy peasy lemon squeezy" In this case you were competing for 1 of 30 rooms out of a potential pool of 20,000 people that could want the same room.

As for your complaints about the wait list process, those are valid, but you have been around long enough to read the threads on wait list darts and everyone's complaining about not being sure if the process works like it is suppose to work. Many of us have complained about that to DVC. I know I have. I can't begin to speculate on what might have/could have happened with your wait list. I will say that for me, I have found that the wait list process seems greatly improved and I have found that most of my wait list requests have filled more frequently over the past couple of years.

Regulars on this board frequently complain about Disney IT and the DVC website. I'm not sure there is much we can do about it, and I know many of us do complain. To what end things get better is a mystery in correlation to the registered complaints. I try to make the best of it, and in the end, I still use and like my DVC. Others might decide that the IT issues drive them crazy enough to want to sell. Either way I agree with you that the DVC technology is less than perfect.

In the end, I'm glad that it all worked out, and you have your reservation. Enjoy your trip.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #69
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I do agree with you and what other posters said that most likely people don't look at the number of rooms in the low point categories in the buying stage. I know I didn't when I bought at VGC that there were only 23 studios at that property.

With the price of DVC climbing to the $200pp range (direct) it naturally leads to people buying less points. But, I think that the "economy" low point rooms have always been in demand.

As Dirk said, hopefully today's DVC guides are emphasizing flexibility when planning your DVC vacations by either changing your dates of travel, your room category, or your resort. I bought my first contract direct and remember my guide emphasizing flexibility, and for me, that is how I make it work. I'm fortunate to own enough points to step-up to a more expensive room if I need to, and at busy times, that's usually what ends up happening.

I purchased VGC not fully understanding 23 studios either. This is why I did not buy vGF. Too small and too much competition for studios. If you donít get a studio the points for 1 bed or larger are extravagant. Both beautiful resorts and I made money with VGC but never again.
Fixed week is the way to go for those 2.
PVB has a worst set up because everyone is buying for studios and not taking into consideration the bungalows will oversell the resort. You canít book a bungalow when you only purchased enough for a studio. Again fixed week, everyone else is on their own at 8am/11 month.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #70
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post

The SSR lack of availability scenario? Didn't happen at 11 months. Things there did get more complicated though with the creation of the two location categories.
It did happen at 7 months, which surprised me. I booked my Thanksgiving week dates at 9 months without a problem, but I could see dates were already getting tight. At 7 months, preferred was booked. At 6 months 2 weeks, standard was booked. We had friends who bought into PVB at 7 months (also fully booked!) and were going to stay with us at SSR. They didn't commit until 6+ months and had to waitlist. It came through, but not for a few months.

Dirk