home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 01:44 AM   #31
h2otraveler
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
...For example VGF studio SV rooms are sold out in early December at the 8:00 mark, but 1 bdrm SV rooms at the VGF are still available in early December. Clearly it's the least expensive studio rooms that people are competing for (but we already know that).

As for how to stop walking I don't know that answer to that. To put a policy in place that makes everyone cancel and rebook rooms they are currently holding would be a nightmare IMO and not very fair to people making legitimate changes to their plans or wishing to travel longer than 7 days...
Actually, the SV 1 br. villas for the first week of Dec. were gone at 8:10 am on 1/1 - after I finished booking at AKV for that week on 1/1, I looked at VGF 1 br.s as those are the points we’ll use next year & was surprised they were already gone. The second week is still there & 12/1 has opened up since 1/1.
We stay for 10 - 11 nights and I already have to do 2 transactions, usually 7 nights on line then I call to add the last couple of nights, usually 3-4 days later. This year I had to wait for the booking window to open for the second set of nights as we were switching from a 1 br. to a 2 br, so I just did the second booking on the computer too.
DVC already rewards people who can plan 11 months in advance for busy times, would rewarding people able to make firm plans that far in the future be any different? I know w/ CRO cash reservations they’ve started making people cancel and rebook when people want to fiddle with their reservations by deleting the days they don’t need - apparently people were booking extra days and then shaving them off when they firmed up their plans leaving too many orphan rooms. So there’s some precedent for limiting modifications on the cash side.

Last edited by h2otraveler; 01-13-2018 at 01:52 AM.
h2otraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #32
bradybunch
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post

A150 point contract was smallest contract sold by DVC few yrs back.
I did not know that!
bradybunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #33
bradybunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
In context of recent discussions on the board, small tends to mean buying just enough points for your desired nights at your the lowest cost studios and getting stuck without enough points if your desired room isn't available. But, that's not really the whole story.

Having a "small" contract depends on your resort, frequency of visits, room type, and time of year. For example, we bought 150 at BWV. If we want to do seven nights every other year in a 1BR in low season (154 points), then we'd have a big contract because it has more than enough points and can easily handle a more expensive view (if standard is booked) or a more expensive season. But if we were aiming to do 7 nights every year in two standard view studios during low seasons(140 points), then we'd have a small because we couldn't easily book rooms in a more expensive season or with a more expensive view if our preferred rooms were sold out.

Obviously, you might not always travel the same way, and future travel preferences are subject to change. Though at that point, your situation may change form having a small or large contract for your needs.
Hmmm, well I guess that means weíd fall into that group to some extent. We calculated our points needs knowing we like AKL which seems to be a little easier to get into. Our contract was fully loaded so we have extra points to play with for a couple of years and then I donít know if my eldest 2 sons will want to come with us by year 3. Reading about availability on here has certainly helped me adjust my expectations!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #34
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
Hmmm, well I guess that means weíd fall into that group to some extent. We calculated our points needs knowing we like AKL which seems to be a little easier to get into. Our contract was fully loaded so we have extra points to play with for a couple of years and then I donít know if my eldest 2 sons will want to come with us by year 3. Reading about availability on here has certainly helped me adjust my expectations!
Honestly I am not sure I agree with what they said anyway. A small contract is somewhere under 100 points more of in the 25-75 point range. Doesn't get you much and they always only have to do studios.

Now it's another thing IMO to buy at PVB for studio only stays because that's all they have, but they aren't the cheapest studios anyway
Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #35
bradybunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Honestly I am not sure I agree with what they said anyway. A small contract is somewhere under 100 points more of in the 25-75 point range. Doesn't get you much and they always only have to do studios.

Now it's another thing IMO to buy at PVB for studio only stays because that's all they have, but they aren't the cheapest studios anyway
The villas at PVB look so nice! Iíd love to stay there. Well Iíd actually LOVE to stay in a bungalow but thatís not happening!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #36
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The villas at PVB look so nice! Iíd love to stay there. Well Iíd actually LOVE to stay in a bungalow but thatís not happening!
It's my favorite studio - and a good place to stay IMO if one can. I love the stand alone shower.

Bungalows are so nice too. We splurged for a few nights there and am glad we did
Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #37
bradybunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
It's my favorite studio - and a good place to stay IMO if one can. I love the stand alone shower.

Bungalows are so nice too. We splurged for a few nights there and am glad we did
Oh you stayed in a bungalow!! Iím jealous!! They really are lovely and such a treat. Was it a romantic stay or with family? Either way would be nice. I love the design of all the new accommodations. Copper Creek looks lovely too.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #38
cornbread4
Studio

Quote:

Iíd say for now that you donít due to having extra points now from loaded contract purchase. And since you forecast fewer travelers in a few years, you will still have more flexibility to deal with conditions. And even if you are off by a couple years on your older kids, you can always consider renting extra points for a trip or two instead of buying more with a 25-50 yr commitment.

You mentioned a direct add on, so let me add that we were seriously looking at a 25 pt direct add for full benefits. But we concluded it wouldnít make sense financially unless we were going to buy annual passes for a number of years. The member events sound great but there are few of them and you donít often find out about them until after you would need to book. The blue card would have held nice psychological value for us, but thatís not enough right now. Though we are still on a waiting list just in case we change our mind
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #39
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Oh you stayed in a bungalow!! Iím jealous!! They really are lovely and such a treat. Was it a romantic stay or with family? Either way would be nice. I love the design of all the new accommodations. Copper Creek looks lovely too.
Yes, about 6 months after they opened. It was our 15th wedding anniversary. We had a whole group on that trip, but only my son and brother were in the bungalow with us. The rest of the family stayed elsewhere, but joined us quite a few times to check it out.

We spent a ton of time out on that deck and just loved every minute of it. Best view ever of the fireworks and truly upscale furnishings - though it still had that tiki vibe. Totally worth our points to stay there.

The cabins look great too. We'll have to splurge on those sometime too. We'll be at CCVC in June and hopefully can tour one at least.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #40
bradybunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
Iíd say for now that you donít due to having extra points now from loaded contract purchase. And since you forecast fewer travelers in a few years, you will still have more flexibility to deal with conditions. And even if you are off by a couple years on your older kids, you can always consider renting extra points for a trip or two instead of buying more with a 25-50 yr commitment.

You mentioned a direct add on, so let me add that we were seriously looking at a 25 pt direct add for full benefits. But we concluded it wouldnít make sense financially unless we were going to buy annual passes for a number of years. The member events sound great but there are few of them and you donít often find out about them until after you would need to book. The blue card would have held nice psychological value for us, but thatís not enough right now. Though we are still on a waiting list just in case we change our mind
Thanks, I agree. Weíll wait and see how things go before we add more points other than the 25 weíre considering direct. They would be useful to have AND I canít help but love the idea of being a fully included member (snob ) Weíre on a waiting list for Boulder Ridge (our home resort). We asked for 25 points but our guide put us on for 50 points so we can decide when they come through.... sneaky... I see what youíre doing Do you think youíll buy the 25 points when they come through? Sounds like you will!