home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #101
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

For kicks and giggles.....

Current cash room rate for May 8-9 for cash resorts, in a standard studio.

Value - avg cost is $131 per night plus tax

Moderate - avg cost is $241 per night plus tax

Deluxe - avg cost is $635 per night plus tax
Old 01-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #102
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
For kicks and giggles.....

Current cash room rate for May 8-9 for cash resorts, in a standard studio.

Value - avg cost is $131 per night plus tax

Moderate - avg cost is $241 per night plus tax

Deluxe - avg cost is $635 per night plus tax
In summary, My SSR resales are getting me rooms around 50% off the cash price of value Resorts, 66% off the cash price of a moderate resort and 89% off the cash price of a deluxe room.

My VGF direct purchase offers me no savings over staying at value and Moderate resorts, but gets me around 50%-60% savings when staying at a deluxe hotel.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #103
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Actually you are partially right did just find my spreadsheet. My average cost was actually closer to $60. At this point my cost per night on the buy in is in the $30 range. So plus dues it's probably $40 to $50.

Still dramatically cheaper than a $700 a night Club Room stay! LOL!

(I have been a member a while and had a LOT of nights since I am a studio fan! I used to be able to stay for weeks at a time at OKW for example because I could work remotely so during food and wine I would spend most Sunday-Thursday at DVC and then go visit my family on the high cost weekends I did buy the bulk of my points at OKW for dirt cheap - at the time it didn't feel that way but looking back it's amazing how cheap they were)
Your dues are a minimum of $5.92 a point at BLT...so it is literally impossible to have a per night cost of $40 to $50. Cheapest room at BLT if you're just paying MFs is $83.

I think you mentioned that you had BWV points -- those are $6.55 MFs per point -- so for a standard room at 10 points, that is $65.50 per night for just MFs.

I also note that you said you had OKW points -- those are about $6.72 per point for MFs...so staying at OKW with your points during cheapest times would be $67.20 for just MFs.

As such -- $30 (what you said your upfront costs were) + $67 is a minimum $97.

Again -- your math seems off.

Last edited by mustinjourney; 01-12-2018 at 03:58 PM.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #104
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
In summary, My SSR resales are getting me rooms around 50% off the cash price of value Resorts, 66% off the cash price of a moderate resort and 89% off the cash price of a deluxe room.

My VGF direct purchase offers me no savings over staying at value and Moderate resorts, but gets me around 50%-60% savings when staying at a deluxe hotel.
That's pretty much why we went ahead about and bought at the Polynesian. Even with the high point requirements, we're paying $200/night for our next trip in a standard studio. The cash rate is $571. Even 25% off is still over $400/night.

I still lament not learning about DVC sooner, though. $60-$70/night.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #105
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
That's pretty much why we went ahead about and bought at the Polynesian. Even with the high point requirements, we're paying $200/night for our next trip in a standard studio. The cash rate is $571. Even 25% off is still over $400/night.

I still lament not learning about DVC sooner, though. $60-$70/night.
My SSR resales rule! I literally use them everywhere.

My VGF is used only for VGF....and for that purpose, it makes sense.

For me, my financial numbers are even better because we stay in 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom units vs 2-3 hotel rooms.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 AM   #106
DBridge
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgame32 View Post
Yes, I know exactly what I bought and what they technically "owe" me... doesn't make it feel any better.

I think some of you are missing my frustration. I am not looking for some additional free perk. I am simply pissed that we cannot access a paid perk that is available to others. Again, I actually want to pay them more, but since I am what they consider a lower class (DVC), I cannot. Very disappointing that DVC members, or certain levels of DVC members, are not considered their best class.

I always knew they would tier extra paid Fastpasses, just shocked DVC members didn't get this option (maybe we will, as this has been labeled a "pilot program"). At the very least, I think Grand Villas should be grouped into this option with Cabins.

Since it hasn't been officially announced by Disney, I will wait and see for the final product and hopefully it adjusts before my April trip!

Simple solution.
Sell your DVC. Book some club rooms and buy some extra FP's
...... but you won't
...... and you know that
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #107
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:

Sweet!
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #108
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Simple solution.
...... but you won't
...... and you know that
He has a point......

He is not asking for free fastpasses, just the ability to be able to purchase them.

I agree with him. I have always advocated for Disney to treat DVC members as a special or elite class of guests at WDW, just like AP holders in Disneyland are treated. Disney/DVC has actually made great strides the past few years in treating DVC members better.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #109
tbgame32
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
Simple solution.
...... but you won't
...... and you know that
Partially correct, partially incorrect. While I have been thinking about exactly what you just said above and have not made up my mind, I am still hopeful Disney will pull through and improve on some of these issues. In fact, I received a call from DVC executive management yesterday about my issues (just a customer service call back from a Potrock assistant). Clear that this is just a "test" program and hopefully it expands and they take some of my advice.

That said, I did just listed one of my contracts yesterday. Not for this issue alone, but for the following group of reasons:

- Increasingly difficult to book where I want and when, even at my home resort 11 months to the minute.

- Lack of significant benefits that are advantageous to me and my family.

- Overall feeling that Disney considers DVC members secondary to cash guests. (Honestly, I am shocked how many of you are simply ok with that. That is NOT how they market and pitch it and you should NOT be ok with it).

- Overall financial benefit. I continually see many of you post all these figures and analysis of how much money you are saving. That said, you all always leave out to major factors. Interest of money over time and loss of opportunity and investment with that money tied up elsewhere.

In the end, I may determine Club Level is in fact a better fit for me. Some of you are taking this the wrong way like I am bashing DVC or sounding "entitled". I love Disney, always have, always will. This is more of an issue that I had simply hoped for more from DVC and to truly be part of a special and privileged "Club".
tbgame32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #110
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Clear that this is just a "test" program and hopefully it expands and they take some of my advice.
It is just that, a test.....it may expand or it might just go away.

Quote:
- Increasingly difficult to book where I want and when, even at my home resort 11 months to the minute.
At 11 months out, I find it very rare to get shut-out of rooms. Only the rarest of room types/views go that fast.

I currently own 1650 points and use to own 2250 points. In 12 years of ownership I have never been shut-out of getting my room choice at exactly 11 months, with the exception of AKV Club Level ( But did get 4 out of the 5 times I tried).

Quote:
- Lack of significant benefits that are advantageous to me and my family.
If you are a frequent guest to WDW, the benefits to owning are really good vs paying cash and staying on property.

For me, before DVC, we had to book 2 hotel rooms at Port Orleans. I did not get a discount on tickets or room. Just the financial savings of room and annual passes (and related discounts to DVC and AP) make DVC worth owning.

Quote:
- Overall feeling that Disney considers DVC members secondary to cash guests. (Honestly, I am shocked how many of you are simply ok with that. That is NOT how they market and pitch it and you should NOT be ok with it).
As I wrote in an above post, Disney has been doing more the past two years for its DVC members.

Quote:
- Overall financial benefit. I continually see many of you post all these figures and analysis of how much money you are saving. That said, you all always leave out to major factors. Interest of money over time and loss of opportunity and investment with that money tied up elsewhere.
I have always argued against this line of thought. Why? Because my DVC purchases have come from my "vacation" and "fun" money. This is money I have earmarked for such use. The money I save by owning DVC actually allows me to invest more money in other things over time. My 401k is maxed every year and my I have my other investments. I made a good profit on the 600 points I have sold and would if I sold the rest of my points, would double and triple the money I paid for those contracts, except for the VGF points.

Quote:
In the end, I may determine Club Level is in fact a better fit for me. Some of you are taking this the wrong way like I am bashing DVC or sounding "entitled". I love Disney, always have, always will. This is more of an issue that I had simply hoped for more from DVC and to truly be part of a special and privileged "Club".
DVC is not for everyone. We have friends who prefer to stay at Club level and have not purchased DVC. We have friends that are returning today from WDW, staying Club level at the Boardwalk.....their preferred resort and accommodations. Lucky for Robin, they call her to book their rooms when they stay property.

AKV has the Club level, but only 5 lock-off units, and now Copper Creek is allowing Club level access for a fee. So there are options and with Copper Creek, Disney did see and recognize a need for Club level option for guests. I am hoping that the new DVC Resort (Riviera Resort) will have more of those types of access and accommodations.