home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default Imagineer Joe Rohde Announces Retirement

Big news out of Florida today.

Famous Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde has announced his retirement from the Walt Disney Company. You know him from projects such as Animal Kingdom and Aulani — and now, he’s moving on.

Rohde has been an integral piece of Disney creative teams since he worked as a model designer for an in-development EPCOT park in 1982. He has become a staple of the company and to Disney fans thanks to his unique personality (the Rohde earring!) and his undeniably genius approach to creativity.

In his statement about his retirement, Rohde said, “It has been 40 years since I stepped foot in the door at age 25, not knowing anything about theme parks, Disney, or what it meant to work for a big company. Every day of my life since then has been a learning experience.”
Rohde’s retirement officially kicks in on January 4th. Imagineers have reached out to express their well wishes to the 65-year-old icon who hopes to move on to other travels and creative ventures in his retirement.

Imagineer Zach Riddley noted, “Joe has spent his career mentoring and advising all of those he works with and I know that he’ll continue to do that until Jauary 4th and beyond.”

On why he’s retiring, Rohde says, “…40 years is a long time, and this strange quiet time seems like a great opportunity to slip away without too much disruption. If I wait, I will once again be in the middle of another huge project, and by the time that is done, I would be truly old. I’m not that old yet and there are things I want to do that cannot be done here.”

We’re certainly sad to see that Rohde is moving on from Disney, but it gives us the chance to look back at some of his most iconic projects. Could you imagine a Disney World nowadays without Animal Kingdom? Neither could we.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/...Y-MVIYwC000T3k
Old 11-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

We'll all miss him, but SO well-deserved!!
And we'll have his varioius works to remember him by. I will no doubt go through the full Expedition Everest queue as a tribute next time, without FP or Single Rider.

And if anyone misspells his name, I will personally pummel them senseless! (In the online sense of course.)
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Nickys
Grand Villa

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s used as a consultant in the future. I hope his hand wasn’t forced in the way Tony Baxter’s was. But Joe has said before that there are things he wants to do before it’s “too late”.

I must admit to being concerned about AK and what happens there next.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Wow, that's a big deal. I don't follow the various personalities at Disney as much as some here, but even I've heard of Rohde.

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I somehow thought he was involved in another project at Disney, but I can’t remember what I thought it was!

His AK design is truly masterful - puts him right up there with all of Disney’s best legends.

I’ll put off worrying about what this means for the parks once we get past COVID and Disney starts developing again.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

Wasn't he the main creative person involved with Lighthouse Point? Perhaps it's been pushed off so far that either it doesn't happen or wouldn't get the resources he expected.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Wasn't he the main creative person involved with Lighthouse Point? Perhaps it's been pushed off so far that either it doesn't happen or wouldn't get the resources he expected.
That’s it. Good Lord, I’d forgotten about all things cruise related.

They aren’t going to need Lighthouse Point until it least 2022, maybe later. He could always be brought back to consult, and I bet most of his design work has been done, anyway.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That’s it. Good Lord, I’d forgotten about all things cruise related.

They aren’t going to need Lighthouse Point until it least 2022, maybe later. He could always be brought back to consult, and I bet most of his design work has been done, anyway.

Dirk
Ok, makes sense. Hopefully just a well-earned 2 year vacation.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

!He will be missed, but his retirement is well earned. I wish him well
Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Wow. Seems like he had one of those kind of gigs you just don't retire from.