home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Default NEWS: Brightline Train Will Connect Disney Springs Directly to Orlando International

Very interesting WDW news.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2020/...ional-airport/

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
They've been threatening that for several years. Great to hear it may finally become a reality! Of course it probably won't stop at Target so I can pick up groceries...
Old 11-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

We could definitely use the Tampa to Orlando route too. Would be nice to see.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We could definitely use the Tampa to Orlando route too. Would be nice to see.
The DS stop is part of the MCO to Tampa line. If the Tampa line doesn't happen, I can't see Brightline building just the MCO to DS portion.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
pdude81
Grand Villa

I assume they would have to build out some sort of big transportation facility with a large bus terminal to get people out to their hotels *IF* they want to cut down on bus transportation from MCO. Now I don't necessarily think that this is a sensible replacement for ME other than for SSR since you'd be adding another choke point in the process and then relying on the availability of seats when the train would have departed from somewhere else. I don't think I'd love adding another transportation mode and stop to the process unless they had trains running every 20 minutes (doubtful). But it is exciting that there is an option and we could even spend some time at DS before hopping a train to the airport on check out day.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
The DS stop is part of the MCO to Tampa line. If the Tampa line doesn't happen, I can't see Brightline building just the MCO to DS portion.
I noticed that. Still in the works, but if they can do Tampa I could see us using it. I agree that if they don't do Tampa, then likely no DS stop too.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I noticed that. Still in the works, but if they can do Tampa I could see us using it. I agree that if they don't do Tampa, then likely no DS stop too.
I think the connection to Disney property is a big get for them and helps guarantee some additional ridership. The good neighbor hotels at DS would benefit as well as anyone looking to go to Disney from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I'm sure they want to get to Tampa but I can't imagine that issues with full extension would render this station unprofitable.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
fuzzylogic
Two Bedroom

Love this project...

Tho I don't see this as really a replacement for DME... This is akin to getting to a destination and taking the Amtrak, Subway, or other public transport from there. You'd have to buy a ticket to ride it, and it can't drop you at your hotel. On DME they provide a bubble experience that they control. From the minute you swap your band at the airport, you have nothing further to do but enjoy. Disney owns / leases the equipment and handles all the scheduling and dispatch.

I do see this very useful for people getting around between Tampa, Orlando, and South Florida. So the real benefit here for Disney to engage in this is it means for a few hour rail trip, you can board in Miami and end up on Disney property. It makes a weekend getaway a real thing for this massive South Florida population center.

If you live in Miami, you can leave your car behind, pack a backpack and be dropped on Disney property in (x) hours.

And for those who cannot do DME because they're staying offsite, this becomes an option to consider.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I think the connection to Disney property is a big get for them and helps guarantee some additional ridership. The good neighbor hotels at DS would benefit as well as anyone looking to go to Disney from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I'm sure they want to get to Tampa but I can't imagine that issues with full extension would render this station unprofitable.
The point was to look at the plans. DS is a maybe still. So is Tampa. Tbh I think if DS was solid it wouldn't be on the part that is a maybe.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

This was talked about a while back and it was said that Disney would be involved only if they agreed that there would not be any other Central Florida stops (beside MCO). One big advantage if it gets to Tampa International would be opening up another airport to feed WDW.

Depending on the frequency of the trains I could see it replacing ME. Disney could still transport luggage from MCO to your room and you would jump the train to DS maybe have dinner or a drink at DS then jump the standard disney buses to your resort. It would work for me.