home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
OldHalfElf
Studio

Default Unusual request to confirm upcoming visit

Good afternoon,

This morning, I received an email from:

[email]disneydestinations@visit.disneydestinations.com

with the heading "Action still needed [sic] before your upcoming visit."

Among other things, it said:

"We ask that you kindly review all of the following operational updates then click the REVIEW AND CONFIRM button at the bottom of this email to confirm, modify or cancel your upcoming visit."

Later:

"Click the button below to confirm [sic] your upcoming visit or to learn more about your options.

"Response requested by November 29, 2020"

I find this pretty rich, given that DVC has taken my points, and Disney has taken my credit card number to guarantee a flock of dining reservations. Indeed, I believe it has also charged my credit card for tickets and one dining event. I have a spreadsheet full of ticket purchase, resort reservation, and dining reservation confirmation numbers. Now there is a new "need" to "confirm."

My suspicion is that this has nothing whatever to do with any uncertainty on the part of Disney as to whether I intend to come, but is instead some attorney's idea to document customers' affirmative knowledge of all the "you may be inconvenienced or dissatisfied" caveats contained in the email and its links. For example:

"While visiting Walt Disney World Resort, all Guests age 2 and older—along with all Cast Members—will be required to wear face coverings. To learn more about this and other measures we have put in place, visit here.

"Again, we know a stay here during this time will be different. But the world needs magic now more than ever. And we can't wait to have you here with us."

Mickey would set a great example of candor for us all, and for our government, if he would tell his troops just to play it straight. If they want an acknowledgment of The Rules (which I sincerely welcome, vis-a-vis SARS-COV-2), just ask for it plainly and don't pretend customers haven't already confirmed their plans in multiple ways, some of them involving financial payment. Among other downsides of the message, it put me in mind of my pending defenestration by the rest of the Elven host if I had somehow previously messed up our collective plans!

OldHalfElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Those emails were fairly standard for the first few months after re-opening, whether for regular resort bookings or DVC reservations.

Pretty sure they were simply to try and get people who were thinking of cancelling to do so, thus letting Disney know what resort occupancy was going to be. Despite the warnings about not being guaranteed park entry they obviously wanted to ensure that resort guests would be able to get into the parks. It may also have helped determine what resort restaurants opened up.

I don’t see anything nefarious to it. YMMV.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Yep we got one in June for July. We did have to cancel due to quarantine requirements right after they sent the email, but it's just a way for them to know what to expect. In no way did it come across to me as negative. Then again we had 2 trips canceled on us previously so not sure what points or payments have to do with anything.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHalfElf View Post
Good afternoon,

This morning, I received an email from:

[email]disneydestinations@visit.disneydestinations.com

with the heading "Action still needed [sic] before your upcoming visit."

Among other things, it said:

"We ask that you kindly review all of the following operational updates then click the REVIEW AND CONFIRM button at the bottom of this email to confirm, modify or cancel your upcoming visit."

Later:

"Click the button below to confirm [sic] your upcoming visit or to learn more about your options.

"Response requested by November 29, 2020"

I find this pretty rich, given that DVC has taken my points, and Disney has taken my credit card number to guarantee a flock of dining reservations. Indeed, I believe it has also charged my credit card for tickets and one dining event. I have a spreadsheet full of ticket purchase, resort reservation, and dining reservation confirmation numbers. Now there is a new "need" to "confirm."

My suspicion is that this has nothing whatever to do with any uncertainty on the part of Disney as to whether I intend to come, but is instead some attorney's idea to document customers' affirmative knowledge of all the "you may be inconvenienced or dissatisfied" caveats contained in the email and its links. For example:

"While visiting Walt Disney World Resort, all Guests age 2 and older—along with all Cast Members—will be required to wear face coverings. To learn more about this and other measures we have put in place, visit here.

"Again, we know a stay here during this time will be different. But the world needs magic now more than ever. And we can't wait to have you here with us."

Mickey would set a great example of candor for us all, and for our government, if he would tell his troops just to play it straight. If they want an acknowledgment of The Rules (which I sincerely welcome, vis-a-vis SARS-COV-2), just ask for it plainly and don't pretend customers haven't already confirmed their plans in multiple ways, some of them involving financial payment. Among other downsides of the message, it put me in mind of my pending defenestration by the rest of the Elven host if I had somehow previously messed up our collective plans!

Wait, what? Like they'll cancel the reservation if you don't confirm an email that just as easily could have gone to spam etc? They really can't modify the process like that.
I'd be absolutely furious.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

My resie is Nov 28 and I got emails but deleted. Didnt confirm anything. Uh oh.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
My resie is Nov 28 and I got emails but deleted. Didnt confirm anything. Uh oh.
Yeah, I've ignored as I glanced at it being an update about PVB renovations like they've done with other renovations over the years. Needing a confirmation? Ludicrous and there better not be cancelations being done.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
Nickys
Grand Villa

They won’t cancel on you. Plenty of DVCers didn’t reply the first few months.

It’s just a standard email to everyone. It’s “CRO” or whatever they’re called now sending them out to all resort guests, without differentiating between how they were made.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
They won’t cancel on you. Plenty of DVCers didn’t reply the first few months.

It’s just a standard email to everyone. It’s “CRO” or whatever they’re called now sending them out to all resort guests, without differentiating between how they were made.
Did you really mean CRO (Cash Reservation Only) or CYA (Cover Your A$$) on Disney's part? Because it could be both. We ended up cancelling our reservation at BWV over Christmas for a variety of reasons including both Covid concerns as well as reduced Disney operations.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote