home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
dandandat
Studio

Default Does the "Carousel of Progress" really depict progress?

So a week ago the family and I where at the magic kingdom and in the middle of the day wanting to escape the run and walking around decided to take refuge at the "Carousel of Progress".

The longest running show opens with a disclaimer that although the theme of their show hasn't changed since Walt opened the show at the worlds fair some of the elements have changed to keep up with modern progress.

What we were treated to was a superficial, "white" centric, GE approved depiction of progress. It was so cringe worthy I felt like a bad parent letting my kids watch it.

Why doesn't Disney update the ride to include more cultures and people. It would be so easy; and they wouldn't have to move that far away from what they current have ... just mix it up a bit.
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandat View Post
So a week ago the family and I where at the magic kingdom and in the middle of the day wanting to escape the run and walking around decided to take refuge at the "Carousel of Progress".

The longest running show opens with a disclaimer that although the theme of their show hasn't changed since Walt opened the show at the worlds fair some of the elements have changed to keep up with modern progress.

What we were treated to was a superficial, "white" centric, GE approved depiction of progress. It was so cringe worthy I felt like a bad parent letting my kids watch it.

Why doesn't Disney update the ride to include more cultures and people. It would be so easy; and they wouldn't have to move that far away from what they current have ... just mix it up a bit.
They don't change it because it was one of the last things that Walt Disney led on. I really like it because it shows life back in the early 1900's when my grandparents were younger. It's supposed to be small town USA from the 1900's to 2000, with guesses as to what was coming in the late 1900's. If you don't find it worth your time, don't do it any more.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
They don't change it because it was one of the last things that Walt Disney led on. I really like it because it shows life back in the early 1900's when my grandparents were younger. It's supposed to be small town USA from the 1900's to 2000, with guesses as to what was coming in the late 1900's. If you don't find it worth your time, don't do it any more.
They clearly did change it since Walt worked on it. The last carousel stop shows the family living in a smart home and playing virtual reality video games. Those are not guesses as to what was coming in the late 1900s.

My question is why didnt they update the family to be a better depiction of the modern American family rather than the stereotipical white wealthy superficial family?
Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Jaakers87
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandat View Post
They clearly did change it since Walt worked on it. The last carousel stop shows the family living in a smart home and playing virtual reality video games. Those are not guesses as to what was coming in the late 1900s.

My question is why didnt they update the family to be a better depiction of the modern American family rather than the stereotipical white wealthy superficial family?
The simple answer is because itís a dated attraction...

Maybe a better question is why canít we enjoy a simple attraction at Disney world for face value instead of trying to inject some kind of societal message into it and everything else?
Jaakers87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
MIDisfan
Studio

I always thought the theme of the ride was the progress of technology. How does changing the family change the advances in technology?
MIDisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaakers87 View Post
The simple answer is because itís a dated attraction...

Maybe a better question is why canít we enjoy a simple attraction at Disney world for face value instead of trying to inject some kind of societal message into it and everything else?
Of course your right. I'm not a Social Justice Waryor ... more board on a Sunday reminiscing on our trip last week, this is just a thought I had while on the attraction... it really was cringey.

Current Disney projects seem to out of there way to be inclusive; its interesting they let this one loungwish when it could easily be updated.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
The Crusher
Studio

Sure.....the gas lamps, new ice box, “electric servants”, flying contraptions (it’ll never work), water pump, and on and on. The journey of “progress” for an average American family, in character, from 1900 to present. One family through the years. Put into the context of time, when developed, it was a great technological achievement. The show is a depiction of one family in a time progression setting.
I don’t see the need for changing the family to make it “less cringe worthy”. I tend to see things as they are offered without the need to alter them to fit my personal preferences. If I don’t like something, I vote with my feet.
We tend to like all appliances. Even General Electric ones. I took my kids to Whirlpool showroom without an issue.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Angel1123
One Bedroom

My mom loved this. It reminded her of when she first moved to the USA. If it was an African American or Latino family, Iím sure some people would consider it racist somehow. There are rarely Asian American depictions of anything. You canít make people happy these days. Leave it as is...if you donít like it, skip it.
Angel1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDisfan View Post
I always thought the theme of the ride was the progress of technology. How does changing the family change the advances in technology?
Sure the progress of the technology is the theme. And they did a good job with that; the rotating stage and song are also great... Walt was a genius.

But the stepford family detract from the rest of it.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1123 View Post
My mom loved this. It reminded her of when she first moved to the USA. If it was an African American or Latino family, Iím sure some people would consider it racist somehow. There are rarely Asian American depictions of anything. You canít make people happy these days. Leave it as is...if you donít like it, skip it.
I dont think they need to change the family completely; in fact they could leave the first two stops as is. In the last two they could add a few more elements as a hat tip. No need to get crazy and change the whole thing just make it noticed that other people exist in the US

Something as simple as putting one of the characters in a wheelchair would go a long way in making it feel more real.