home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
pdude81
Grand Villa

Default DL Holiday Schedule Discrepancy

My wife was checking the park hours for DL on the the DIS site and they are showing Small World down and not reopening until sunday 11/12. This is odd because it's opened before the weekend every year going back to 2010, usually on Thursay but last year it was Friday. TP predicts the holiday parades to start on Friday 11/10 which is the same day small world usually opens. In your experience, should I rely more on one of these sites than the other? Logic and history dictate that TP has a more sound approach... UNLESS there is some actual bit of scheduling showing it would open later.

However, the DIS site also shows pirates being scheduled down then, which is odd since they are doing a major refurb right now and don't normally close in November. We are only going to be out to DL once or twice in the next ten years so it would be incredibly disappointing to miss out on those two rides.

Any guidance would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of that is different this year versus previous years is that there is no runDisney race that weekend... which if anything should mean they are looking for another way to get people into the parks that early
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
My wife was checking the park hours for DL on the the DIS site and they are showing Small World down and not reopening until sunday 11/12. This is odd because it's opened before the weekend every year going back to 2010, usually on Thursay but last year it was Friday. TP predicts the holiday parades to start on Friday 11/10 which is the same day small world usually opens. In your experience, should I rely more on one of these sites than the other? Logic and history dictate that TP has a more sound approach... UNLESS there is some actual bit of scheduling showing it would open later.

However, the DIS site also shows pirates being scheduled down then, which is odd since they are doing a major refurb right now and don't normally close in November. We are only going to be out to DL once or twice in the next ten years so it would be incredibly disappointing to miss out on those two rides.

Any guidance would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of that is different this year versus previous years is that there is no runDisney race that weekend... which if anything should mean they are looking for another way to get people into the parks that early
That is very weird, We usually go that first Friday every year and the parade and small world are in full swing. Small world got a major line que refurb this year by the parade entrance and its almost done with the exception of a few post that I'm assuming will have signage added to them very soon.

Pirates also seems odd as you mentioned it's currently closed and set to open sometime in June with the new auction scene. I would think any maintenance/ servicing would be done right now as well.

If you can push out your vacation another week, I might recommend that as small world is quite the sight to see during Christmas and POTC is just a cool ride. If you were able to push out your trip you could even take advantage of the DVC Moonlight magic at California Adventure on 11/15. If I recall correctly, during last Year's Moonlight magic event everything Christmas was in full swing except for the Garland on Main St. which was a surprise for everyone as it hadn't gone up in a few years due to the Frozen float of the PTN parade.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
That is very weird, We usually go that first Friday every year and the parade and small world are in full swing. Small world got a major line que refurb this year by the parade entrance and its almost done with the exception of a few post that I'm assuming will have signage added to them very soon.

Pirates also seems odd as you mentioned it's currently closed and set to open sometime in June with the new auction scene. I would think any maintenance/ servicing would be done right now as well.

If you can push out your vacation another week, I might recommend that as small world is quite the sight to see during Christmas and POTC is just a cool ride. If you were able to push out your trip you could even take advantage of the DVC Moonlight magic at California Adventure on 11/15. If I recall correctly, during last Year's Moonlight magic event everything Christmas was in full swing except for the Garland on Main St. which was a surprise for everyone as it hadn't gone up in a few years due to the Frozen float of the PTN parade.
Can't really push it back unless we shorten the trip and stay cash somewhere. We were originally staying until Thursday and I decided to go for an extra two days just so we could catch the beginning of the holiday parades and Small world.

My wife works in a school and we didn't think Jersey week would be very crowded in California, so if we go another time she can only take a couple personal days attached to a weekend. Plus we are renting from a Mouseowner and have a stay lined up at VGC... perhaps the only time we'll get to stay there.

I guess I'm just hoping that prediction is way off, since every other site that even has a guess is saying that the switch should be on Friday. By the time the official schedule comes out it's way too late to change my plans
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Can't really push it back unless we shorten the trip and stay cash somewhere. We were originally staying until Thursday and I decided to go for an extra two days just so we could catch the beginning of the holiday parades and Small world.

My wife works in a school and we didn't think Jersey week would be very crowded in California, so if we go another time she can only take a couple personal days attached to a weekend. Plus we are renting from a Mouseowner and have a stay lined up at VGC... perhaps the only time we'll get to stay there.

I guess I'm just hoping that prediction is way off, since every other site that even has a guess is saying that the switch should be on Friday. By the time the official schedule comes out it's way too late to change my plans
Oh I see, Once your locked in to VGC that's it. It's way too hard to change your dates as availability is usually none under seven months. Make sure you ask for a Park view of Mickeys funwheel (Or Pixar Pal around as it will be called then). It's a cool view of California Adventure.

Hope it all works out for you!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I wouldn't worry too much yet. DL often doesn't release hours even 60 days ahead of time. I'd believe that calendar is speculation with some basis of historical closings/openings for the overlays.