home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Skyliner Schedule

Thereís a change in the Skyliner schedule this week thatís interesting - 8 am opens and 10:30 pm closings for the full week. Skyliner CM said itís a new schedule for this week only.

Itís interesting for 2 reasons - it now starts a full hour after DHS opens and one hour before Epcot opens. They extended the closing time from 10:00 pm to 10:30 pm, even though Epcot still closes at 9 pm. Iím thinking theyíve been getting complaints from people who are slow leaving Epcot and meet a closed Skyliner. Frozen Dessert Party people would be such people who wouldnít necessarily get to Skyliner before closure. Same for any who shop at MouseGear or booked a late dinner. Itís possible to get 8:30 or later dinner times at Epcot.

Also, CM told me that each park pays for their proportionate use of the Skyliner. Now, it makes sense why the line doesnít run early enough for DHS 7 am openings. Studios doesnít want to pay to run three lines for two extra hours for people who are so focused on RotR that theyíll figure out on their own how to get there if they donít want to trust the buses.

The rule is Skyliner runs one hour before park opening, so with 9 AM Epcot openings, the Skyliner will start at 8 am.

Dirk

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 02-02-2020 at 06:12 PM.
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Interesting...thanks for the update. I hope they do go back to the 7am start time. As of right now HS is still scheduled to open at 8 when we are there, so a 7am Skyliner time will get us there in plenty of time. Will definitely be keeping an eye out.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Thereís a change in the Skyliner schedule this week thatís interesting - 8 am opens and 10:30 pm closings for the full week. Skyliner CM said itís a new schedule for this week only.

Itís interesting for 2 reasons - it now starts a full hour after DHS opens and one hour before Epcot opens. They extended the closing time from 10:00 pm to 10:30 pm, even though Epcot still closes at 9 pm. Iím thinking theyíve been getting complaints from people who are slow leaving Epcot and meet a closed Skyliner. Frozen Dessert Party people would be such people who wouldnít necessarily get to Skyliner before closure. Same for any who shop at MouseGear or booked a late dinner. Itís possible to get 8:30 or later dinner times at Epcot.

Also, CM told me that each park pays for their proportionate use of the Skyliner. Now, it makes sense why the line doesnít run early enough for DHS 7 am openings. Studios doesnít want to pay to run three lines for two extra hours for people who are so focused on RotR that theyíll figure out on their own how to get there if they donít want to trust the buses.

The rule is Skyliner runs one hour before park opening, so with 9 AM Epcot openings, the Skyliner will start at 8 am.

Dirk
The Parks pay? Wouldn't that be a deviation from all other transportation where the resorts pay? As far as the parks are concerned people can get there any way they want although on busy days they would of course like it consolidated. I guess parks may contribute towards all transportation, I've never really heard about that, but we have lines in the resort budget for transportation and I'd expect Riviera, AoA, Pop and CBR to all be paying for the Skyliner as that is now their route to DHS and Epcot. In fact I thought the DVC magazine even had some snippet about the Skyliner allocation to Riviera.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The Parks pay? Wouldn't that be a deviation from all other transportation where the resorts pay? As far as the parks are concerned people can get there any way they want although on busy days they would of course like it consolidated. I guess parks may contribute towards all transportation, I've never really heard about that, but we have lines in the resort budget for transportation and I'd expect Riviera, AoA, Pop and CBR to all be paying for the Skyliner as that is now their route to DHS and Epcot. In fact I thought the DVC magazine even had some snippet about the Skyliner allocation to Riviera.
CM said the parks pay a proportionate share. Perhaps itís shared between parks and resorts? I asked a guide today about why dues are so high at Riviera, and he pointed to Skyliner as one of the prime reasons, so that backs up the resorts-pay argument.

If Skyliner CM was wrong about parks paying allocation, I can still see why resorts - especially dependent on member dues - might not want to run a full system (Epcot line has to be the most expensive to run) for one park. The buses do run, so people can get from the resort to the park.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
Crafty
Grand Villa

If I were staying at RR and spending lots of points, I would not be happy to exit EPCOT and find the Skyliner closed. We always take our time exiting EPCOT to avoid the crowds. Iím sure that Disney got a number of complaints.

The lack of early morning service to a popular attraction at HS seems short sighted. After all, a prime reason for possibly buying RR would be to enjoy SWGE.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
jflatto
Grand Villa

We stayed at RR over Christmas and planned to use the Skyliner to get to Hollywood Studios in the morning prior to rope drop for RoTR. When out the next morning and the hours posted for the Skyliner was an hour later than they had been the previous day. Had to walk back to the bus stop. We still made rope drop.

I was irked that the SKyliner hours only were available that day and you have to walk to the Skyliner to see the sign for the hours by the entrance to the Skyliner. I was more upset that it wasn't running. Disney touts the Skyliner as a big advantage of RR and the point costs (as individual points and points to rent a room) are not cheap. In that case, run the Skyliner!!

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote