home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
They won't delay you. They will assume your capitulation, say "no problem" and send you a bill.

I had a dent on a rental return to Dollar. I swear there is no way it could have happened under my watch given how I parked the car in relation to the dent location and that nothing happened while I was driving it. They noted I contested the dent and gave me my rental receipt. I was billed $500 by Dollar a couple of weeks later. I think they tried to auto-charge it to my card, but I had intentionally blocked the card to prevent that from happening in order to force their getting my approval for any future charges.

I continued to protest since they couldn't prove it was me, but they did note language in the agreement that if I take the car, I am admitting it is in good shape unless otherwise noted. So, no point in resisting. I paid the $500 and will never rent from Dollar again.

The $500 was, of course, conveniently the amount of a standard auto-insurance deductible.

Dirk
This is what I fear when renting a car so when I pick it up, I take pictures of the entire car and do the same when dropping it off so they don't accuse me of something that was already there or happens after me.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #22
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
The only time I ever had any kind of problem was with Enterprise. It wasnít at MCO, but it was in the Orlando area. When I picked up the car I noticed damage on all the wheels as if whoever had it before ran it up against every curb they saw and did some serious scarring on the wheel cover thingys. The sheet they gave me when I picked up the car said no visible damage on car so I went back inside and made them come out and notate the damage. The employee got a major attitude but I refused to take the car until he did it. When I returned the car, sure enough they tried to blame me for it. Fortunately I had my paperwork handy to wave in their face and they backed down pretty quick when they saw that I was not going to be pushed around and I had paperwork to back up my side. I havenít rented from Enterprise since then ( though my husband has many times with no problems at all. I am sure it varies by location but I can hold a grudge with the best of them when someone treats me like that ).m
Very interesting, I may review the car in the future more thoroughly.

Quote:
When I rent I primarily use Hertz, but have also used Budget a few times. I have never had any issues with either. They barely glance at the car when you bring it back, they scan the car, hand me a receipt and point to the shuttle. If anything I feel like they rush me to get my stuff out of the car so they can get it washed and back on the lot.
I travel 3-10 times per year, mostly around JFK, MCO, and Dullas DC airpoirts. I find no difference between any of them, but admit I really like being able to walk and choose my car. Every vendor has always taken care of me, and I am sure to use one of the big names (Hertz, Budget, Enterprise, National, Alamo, Avis, etc). I find them all pretty equal, so price drives my decision.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #23
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
This is what I fear when renting a car so when I pick it up, I take pictures of the entire car and do the same when dropping it off so they don't accuse me of something that was already there or happens after me.
I definitely do a walk-around now. Alamo doesn't put cars with dents, at least IMO, so it's never been an issue. No need to document anything. If there's a dent, I know it's mine.

Funny thing is, I almost did a walk-around when I did the Dollar rental but we wanted to get moving. Oh well.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #24
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Many cards have discontinued these (lost baggage, rental car, travel etc) coverages. I would recheck before making decision.
Quote:
I don't know if this is still true or not but I saw something on the news a few years ago recommending that renters use Visa if planning to depend on the Credit Card to cover rental car damage. I don't remember the exact details, but it had something to do with how the back and forth between the rental car company and the credit card covering the damage. Different banks likely have some differences, but at the time this was reported there was some requirement that came along with the Visa association that made paying out on a rental car damage claim a lot less hassle for the consumer than when trying to file a claim with another type of credit card.
This is from VISA's website.
https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...ge-waiver.html. From the google side it says this was last updated on 12/7/2019, but I don't see this referenced on the page itself except to say the policy was effective since 2014.

Chase (Disney and Southwest are Chase VISAs)
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...w_secondary_v1

Another link on review of coverage.
https://money.com/credit-card-rental...ance-coverage/

I called my auto-insurance company and know I am covered for rentals. So I have never really considered any other options. I click NO across the board for all options. One of the links says that some cards will cover the deductible gap between your coverage and your insurance company's.

Last edited by ealvarado8899; 01-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #25
pirate431
Studio

Some years ago, I noticed that one of our cards had an exclusion for full-size SUVs. Chase Sapphire Preferred does not, and generally seems to have broad coverage, so I always use that for rentals. Also, better to look at the written benefits summary (and download it for future reference) than rely on what a phone rep says.
pirate431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate431 View Post
Some years ago, I noticed that one of our cards had an exclusion for full-size SUVs. Chase Sapphire Preferred does not, and generally seems to have broad coverage, so I always use that for rentals. Also, better to look at the written benefits summary (and download it for future reference) than rely on what a phone rep says.
These are chase's preferred card outlines the difference between chase freedom and preferred.
https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/cred...nce-explained/

I never really paid attention before, and thus grateful for this thread.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #27
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
They won't delay you. They will assume your capitulation, say "no problem" and send you a bill.

I had a dent on a rental return to Dollar. I swear there is no way it could have happened under my watch given how I parked the car in relation to the dent location and that nothing happened while I was driving it. They noted I contested the dent and gave me my rental receipt. I was billed $500 by Dollar a couple of weeks later. I think they tried to auto-charge it to my card, but I had intentionally blocked the card to prevent that from happening in order to force their getting my approval for any future charges.

I continued to protest since they couldn't prove it was me, but they did note language in the agreement that if I take the car, I am admitting it is in good shape unless otherwise noted. So, no point in resisting. I paid the $500 and will never rent from Dollar again.

The $500 was, of course, conveniently the amount of a standard auto-insurance deductible.

Dirk

Ugh, terrible.

I know that $500 amount all too well after two deer incidents within the last three years. Damn things are freaking everywhere.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Ugh, terrible.

I know that $500 amount all too well after two deer incidents within the last three years. Damn things are freaking everywhere.
Rats with antlers. Hope it was just your car and not you that had to go to the body shop!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:52 PM   #29
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Rats with antlers. Hope it was just your car and not you that had to go to the body shop!

Dirk

Fortunately yes, thanks! Opting for a vehicle with a lighter exterior for my next lease in hope the damn things might see me...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #30
MMC1
Grand Villa

That must have been really scary!
They are all over WDW property so be careful The other evening, 3 were grazing close to the end of the bus stop at WL. Of course families took their children closer to watch them.
Yesterday on bus an automobile was on wrong side of the road driving towards the bus. Thankfully bus driver remained calm and got in lane away from them
Those college cheerleaders standing up front werenít quite as calm!
Tourists and Florida drivers= scary stupid
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote