home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Years ago we had a rental car company try this on our company. We sent a formal letter saying "send us your logs to PROVE you were fully leased and then we will pay"

Opps! Never mind! They decided NOT to try that stunt LOL!

I have a Mastercard with primary insurance coverage and have to use it. I called, I reported it and that was it. Nothing else ever came my way, couldn't have been easier. But make sure your card is primary or it's a lot more complicated.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
frank808
Two Bedroom

Some Chase cards that provided primary coverage are Chase United Explorer, Chase United Club, Chase Business explorer (while on businessl), Chase Business Club(while on business), Chase sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire preferred. Make sure when looking for coverage is that it is primary and not secondary coverage.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
GrumpyInPhilly
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey_Bear View Post
For those with an AMEX card, they offer a "Premium" coverage. It costs $35 and lasts for up to 2 months (I believe that is the duration, could be wrong.). But it pretty much covers everything for that time period including loss of use.
And that is one $35 charge for your entire time not per day, even if you have multiple rentals within that time period.
I get it every time I rent a car.
I used this coverage for the first time earlier this year. I was under the impression that the coverage lasts until cancelled - you are charged the fee for each rental but nothing if you don't rent again.
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #14
MMC1
Grand Villa

I have not rented lately.
I always worried about the rental company delaying me at drop off if something had happened to car. With forms required to be filled out , I might miss my flight. Has anybody had experience with the process with or without the different insure choices if & when fender bender occurs?
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
I always worried about the rental company delaying me at drop off if something had happened to car. With forms required to be filled out , I might miss my flight. Has anybody had experience with the process with or without the different insure choices if & when fender bender occurs?
No experience thankfully.
If something like that happens and the car is still perfectly drivable, I suggest...
-- take a photo of damage, and wish you had a photo before damage (but of course you don't)
-- call the rental company and discuss the situation
-- in particular ask if you can take the car to someplace in/near WDW to resolve the situation before returning it at the airport.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
IRISHGRANDAD
Studio

Location: WHERE IRISH EYES ARE SMILING BWV,OKW,SSR,BELFAST IRELAND/UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
No experience thankfully.
If something like that happens and the car is still perfectly drivable, I suggest...
-- take a photo of damage, and wish you had a photo before damage (but of course you don't)
-- call the rental company and discuss the situation
-- in particular ask if you can take the car to someplace in/near WDW to resolve the situation before returning it at the airport.
Over the top Irishman always take photos of rental car before using as at MCO you pick your own car with many suppliers nobody comes with you to report before to .
IRISHGRANDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
IRISHGRANDAD
Studio

Default Loss of use

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post

Can't think of a better or more knowledgeable group to ask!

What kind of coverage do you get for your rental cars?
My personal auto insurer will cover us while in a rental but DOES NOT COVER LOSS OF USE.

We always decline the insurance at the counter, and thought that we were all good...but now I don't think so!!
For a dopey Irishman what does loss of use mean .
Like you I also decline all insurance at the counter on the basis uk coverage offered by car companies tell you it is all inclusive .
IRISHGRANDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #18
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The only time I ever had any kind of problem was with Enterprise. It wasn’t at MCO, but it was in the Orlando area. When I picked up the car I noticed damage on all the wheels as if whoever had it before ran it up against every curb they saw and did some serious scarring on the wheel cover thingys. The sheet they gave me when I picked up the car said no visible damage on car so I went back inside and made them come out and notate the damage. The employee got a major attitude but I refused to take the car until he did it. When I returned the car, sure enough they tried to blame me for it. Fortunately I had my paperwork handy to wave in their face and they backed down pretty quick when they saw that I was not going to be pushed around and I had paperwork to back up my side. I haven’t rented from Enterprise since then ( though my husband has many times with no problems at all. I am sure it varies by location but I can hold a grudge with the best of them when someone treats me like that ).m

When I rent I primarily use Hertz, but have also used Budget a few times. I have never had any issues with either. They barely glance at the car when you bring it back, they scan the car, hand me a receipt and point to the shuttle. If anything I feel like they rush me to get my stuff out of the car so they can get it washed and back on the lot.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

Last edited by tink711; 01-17-2020 at 11:22 PM.
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:21 AM   #19
IRISHGRANDAD
Studio

This post Just reminded me of my Brother living in Georgia USA always books in Ireland using his own car insurance and backed up By his credit card
He usually uses rent a wreck in Belfast .
Old 01-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
They won't delay you. They will assume your capitulation, say "no problem" and send you a bill.

I had a dent on a rental return to Dollar. I swear there is no way it could have happened under my watch given how I parked the car in relation to the dent location and that nothing happened while I was driving it. They noted I contested the dent and gave me my rental receipt. I was billed $500 by Dollar a couple of weeks later. I think they tried to auto-charge it to my card, but I had intentionally blocked the card to prevent that from happening in order to force their getting my approval for any future charges.

I continued to protest since they couldn't prove it was me, but they did note language in the agreement that if I take the car, I am admitting it is in good shape unless otherwise noted. So, no point in resisting. I paid the $500 and will never rent from Dollar again.

The $500 was, of course, conveniently the amount of a standard auto-insurance deductible.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote