home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: What booking window do you prefer?
180 days...I am an uber planner 23 25.56%
120 days...Closer to check-in, but still a ways off 6 6.67%
60 days...Same Day as Fastpass selection, it will be Chaos! 7 7.78%
45 days...Fastpasses are made, park schedule is set 36 40.00%
30 days...no guessing if you want steak or sushi 6 months out 9 10.00%
day of....ADRs are made for the day only, first come-first served 5 5.56%
I don't care about ADRs, we eat in or on the go 4 4.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Iím good with anything prior to day of. Which is actually how I make the majority of mine now anyway with minimal issues, so Iím just fine leaving it the way it is as well.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #12
Olaf2018
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

During our recent stay this April we had to reschedule or cancel 2 ADR's because of conflicts with FassPasses. Also missed a FassPass because we were seated 45 minutes after our reservation time and dinner took 2 1/2 hours to complete. Hate when they make you stand around waiting with your whole party in order to be put you on the list to be seated.
Olaf2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
noreen99
Two Bedroom

wish there was "other" on the poll...

honestly, I would like to see most ADRs out the window. Keep them in the parks leave the resorts as walk-ups or ADRs with room reservation only. This would serve as a small token benefit to those staying on property. Kind of like the safari dinner at AKV- you needed to be staying at the resort to participate.

To me, it would make more sense if they left character/event dining in the parks at strict 180 mark everything else same day walk-ups.

A huge issue I have is with the inconsistency in event dining/dessert parties. they consistently do not open at the 180 mark more like 45 for desserts and 90 for TS meals. This year was particularly bad. Couldn't book Fantasmic dining reservations for several weeks, it did not even appear on the calendar. The dessert parties are a whole nother issue both MK and Epcot didn't show until 35 days out. STILL, can't figure out if Highway in the sky (shows on the calendar) is available at 25 days out. The only two available at 180 were RoL package and Festival of fantasy package.

Planning 180 is bad enough but make it consistent one way or another. Honestly having to check MDE nearly daily starting 6 months out is nutty.

A big part of the reason I finally bit the bullet and bought into DVC is so I can stop the nonsense of theme park commando crap, I'm getting too old. This May trip is the last blow-out do-see everything after that I hope to slow down. No more rope drops no more ADRs ect...hit my fast passes and be done.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default ADR, Fatspasaea

We do not book ADRs at 180 days out because we don't even know what Park we will be at each day. My biggest issue is the 60 day window for fast passes. There have been several great deals for rentals on the board for arrivals within a month or so. We have wanted to rent quite a few over the years, but because of fast pass plus, we have declined. Our family really dislikes the fast pass plus system for many reasons, but because of the booking window we have actually decreased our number of trips. We got a code for value resorts for $69 a night and would have jumped on it for a quick trip, however, fast pass plus book window....
I love planning. It's fun for me. But deciding 6 months in advance what I'm going to eat is a little much! I chose 30 days.
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
A big part of the reason I finally bit the bullet and bought into DVC is so I can stop the nonsense of theme park commando crap, I'm getting too old. This May trip is the last blow-out do-see everything after that I hope to slow down. No more rope drops no more ADRs ect...hit my fast passes and be done.
Lol.....Famous last words.

Actually, our WDW trips tend to be more laid back when compared to 2006 when we bought DVC. However, with having grandkids we are finding ourselves being pulled back to the more hectic park days. I mean....my grandson needs to do Jedi Training right?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

Actually, our WDW trips tend to be more laid back when compared to 2006 when we bought DVC. However, with having grandkids we are finding ourselves being pulled back to the more hectic park days. I mean....my grandson needs to do Jedi Training right?
Hmmm.... I hadn't thought of that. DW and I take our time in the parks and have nice leisurely days, sometimes not even going to our FPs. But we have a grandson on the way, due in August, and I hadn't thought about our trips changing. At least we'll still have our trips where it's just the two of us.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

My kids are only in college so I figure I can rest up for a few years(fingers crossed)

My fiance has grandchildren but his DIL tells the kids Disney is boring so they are a no-go, unfortunately, like your grandson's Jedi training I am dying to get Caitlyn into Bipty Bobity Boutique before she is too old-
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
My kids are only in college so I figure I can rest up for a few years(fingers crossed)

My fiance has grandchildren but his DIL tells the kids Disney is boring so they are a no-go, unfortunately, like your grandson's Jedi training I am dying to get Caitlyn into Bipty Bobity Boutique before she is too old-
Kidnap her! I've already warned my kids that when little ones come along, they may come home from work one day to find a note on the door that says, "Gone to Disney. Back when the money runs out."
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
AnnaS
Grand Villa

I chose 45 days. On or before FPs are done is fine.

Wether it's 10 days, 30 days........makes no difference which places we want to eat/try. Once the window opens up though, then that is the best time to make them especially if we are going with more than 2-3 people/popular restaurant.

If it's just hubby and I - we don't always rush to make them at the 180 days mark......a little after that. We make 2, 3 or 4 for the week and just take a chance the rest of the time.
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #20
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Iím good with anything prior to day of. Which is actually how I make the majority of mine now anyway with minimal issues, so Iím just fine leaving it the way it is as well.
This describes us, too.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote