home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
Rocket Supply
Studio

Default Ugh - I am not a fan of the buy where you want to stay

It depends when you want to go.

Here is quick math (I will assume all Maint are the same as it doesn't impact decision that much)

Initial cost:
OKW: 150 Points $12,500
Poly 150 points 25,000

We stay in Sept and use OKW at Poly, but if that didn't work we would go down the list, BLT was avail, VGF was avail (split stay) Etc.

Maybe down the road I will sing a different tune, but now lets take a look at the 12,500 that is invested in the market, which it is, and getting 8-9%.

I am not going to go down the rabbit hole on this, but there are two basic camps, Buy where you want to stay, and buy cheap points (I am a follower of Tom Bricker on this one). Any DVC resort is better than the values and most moderates so we try to get Max value for our points. If poly starts getting filled up prior to our 7 month window we will start looking at other options.

The other factor, we will prob be 10-15 year owners, I say that now, but who knows.

So buy where you want to stay, make your 11 month res and all is good, or you can roll the dice with cheap points and learn how to walk your reservations, wait listing, split stays etc, and in the very worst case you end up at OKW or SS, which isn't that bad.

Final Disclaimer: If StarWars hotel is a DVC all bets are off, I am buying there day 1!
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #22
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2boys View Post
Hello!

I'm new to these forums-researching all I can about becoming a DVC owner. I have learned so much here!

We are hoping to buy in the next year, optimally.

Thank you for approving me!
Welcome
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #23
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post
It depends when you want to go.

Here is quick math (I will assume all Maint are the same as it doesn't impact decision that much)

Initial cost:
OKW: 150 Points $12,500
Poly 150 points 25,000

We stay in Sept and use OKW at Poly, but if that didn't work we would go down the list, BLT was avail, VGF was avail (split stay) Etc.

Maybe down the road I will sing a different tune, but now lets take a look at the 12,500 that is invested in the market, which it is, and getting 8-9%.

I am not going to go down the rabbit hole on this, but there are two basic camps, Buy where you want to stay, and buy cheap points (I am a follower of Tom Bricker on this one). Any DVC resort is better than the values and most moderates so we try to get Max value for our points. If poly starts getting filled up prior to our 7 month window we will start looking at other options.

The other factor, we will prob be 10-15 year owners, I say that now, but who knows.

So buy where you want to stay, make your 11 month res and all is good, or you can roll the dice with cheap points and learn how to walk your reservations, wait listing, split stays etc, and in the very worst case you end up at OKW or SS, which isn't that bad.

Final Disclaimer: If StarWars hotel is a DVC all bets are off, I am buying there day 1!
While I would like to, I am betting $300 a pt. Of course, I doubt the SWR will have any DVC considering the current plan sounds more like an event you sleep at than a resort.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #24
richviii
One Bedroom

The other advice I would offer is stay at a few resorts. If I could go back, I would not have all our points (3 contracts) at one resort. We have experienced other resorts and now wish we had purchased at least one other resort. We are happy with what we have I just would diversify.

Recent
2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #25
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
I'm pretty open. I'd say BC or BV.

Not opposed to CC but as our boys get older I thought they might want to be closer to HS and epcot.

Rivera is intriguing but I don't know when that will go on sale.

We would maybe do BLT also. VGF would be too pricey for us.

We would like to be booking 2br, every other year. We open to doing split stays, but would want 7 month availability pretty much at just the above resorts and maybe AK. Maybe poly studio.

We also need to see when we are willing to part with our cash. Ha!

(oh and my husband was NOT a Disney person at all. Now he's suggesting DVC.
We were very similar, my husband was not very disney, then we stayed on property and he is now more disney than I am- and it was his idea to purchase DVC. My kids have grown up with epcot in the backyard as my younger son puts it. I loved the IG entrance as it was always more private and not crowded. I am concerned how the gondolas and the riveria will change the IG. I am hoping that HS gets most of the crowds for star wars. I am fearful of the IG turning into the MK entrance
We really don't do the parks as park commandoes anymore. We walk around the world showcase, and take in the shows at HS. Given the price difference of the epcot resorts and SSR, I would go with SSR for the extra years and price and look to change resorts in the 7 month window, since you are interested in epcot resorts, BLT GFV, AKV and poly. If you are not wed to a specific resort, go where you get the most bang for the buck with the best maintenance fees
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 PM   #26
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
The resort is opening the Fall of 2019 and I am guessing sales starting in the Summer.

CCV is selling faster then expected and DVC will need to either slow down the sales (price increase) or speed up construction to start sales sooner at Riviera Resort.
My money will bet on them going with option A
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
disneymom2boys
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Rivera going on sale maybe summer 2018 or summer 2019? How long before opening do they usually go on sale?

We have only stayed deluxe- GF concierge, Poly concierge, BLT, and contemporary. We are used to being on the monorail or going by boat or walking.

I do like CC. Our boys are 4 and 9 ao thinking over the next 10 years and how we'd do Disney then. (up to this point we've been heading back to the hotel for naps).

We probably should have done this a few years ago. (We've done WDW in spring 2013, Jan 2016, aug 2016, and april 2018. [The 2016 trips were both with DH's work). We've also done DL basically every other year since my eldest was born.
disneymom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #28
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Welcome aboard, and best of luck with your purchase!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #29
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Buy where you want to stay.
iff (if and only if) you will be booking outside the 7 month window. If, for whatever reason, you will typically book inside 7 months, or you don't really care where you stay, this is irrelevant. In that case

Buy where you can get the best deal (price and Maintenance Fees)

Cheers.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #30
lauravee
Studio

Quote:
I'm pretty open. I'd say BC or BV.
We would like to be booking 2br, every other year. ...
Welcome! You may already know this, but Boardwalk Villas does not have dedicated 2BRs; all 2BRs there are lock-offs - which means the 2BRs are a 1BR unit connected to a studio by an interior door - so the second bedroom is a studio unit with 1 queen bed and one pull-out sofa.

According to third-party sources, there are 78 dedicated 2BRs at BCV and 74 LOs. There are no viewing categories at BCV.

At BWV, there are 37 2BRs with standard view, 90 with boardwalk view, and 21 with preferred view, for a total of 148 LO 2BRs.

Best of luck with your decision!
lauravee is offline   Reply With Quote