home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #21
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I rented out a small amount of my VGF points for $15pp in one day. I almost felt guilty because I know that may affect what people think is fair, but the difference between $15pp and $17pp for about 30 points wasn't worth the hassle for me.
heh, don't feel too bad. I paid $12/point for 82 points in March of last year (for a September reservation). There are still a lot of owners that don't value their points as high as they might be able to. I have my own points, but there are deals to be had out there if you're patient, so sometimes it makes sense for me to rent.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 AM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
heh, don't feel too bad. I paid $12/point for 82 points in March of last year (for a September reservation). There are still a lot of owners that don't value their points as high as they might be able to. I have my own points, but there are deals to be had out there if you're patient, so sometimes it makes sense for me to rent.
I've done this too. But, I don't really like to rent with DH job we change our plans to often.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #23
glenda
Studio

Default price per point

What price would the rental points be to equal the cash room with discount?
glenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #24
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda View Post
What price would the rental points be to equal the cash room with discount?
This varies by time of year and Disney cash offers. I have rented some Christmas/NYE points for $20pp. The equal value to cash was around $35pp.

Sometimes it is cheaper to get a cash room over renting DVC. An owner and a renter has to do their homework. The other thing to consider is that cash reservations have an advantage -- they can be changed and cancelled. Renters should get a discount over cash for non-flexible accommodations with DVC.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
Fishercat
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Price of DVC points

Quote:
With Beach Club points approaching $160.00 factored over the useful life of the contract and CURRENT maintenance fee of $6.44.....the cost to own these points is $13.00 per point...Owning to rent your points out is no longer such a great financial decision. IMHO
Fishercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #26
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

This is valid for people who bought in at that price, but that is a very small percentage of owners. Just a hunch, but I'll be far more people on this board today sold at that price rather than bought. I'm not knocking those who bought at the peak, buy what you want, but if I knew I was going to rent BCV points out I probably wouldn't have bought during the recent peak.

I suspect that the average cost per point per year is somewhere between 8 and 11 (heck CCV is near 11, and it is brand new). If you've owned for more than around 5 years it is probably between 6 and 9.

I applaud those who rent out on their own and maximize what they get. I on the other hand don't want to deal with that hassle, and given that I paid a reasonable price for each of my contracts can afford to let David rent them out for me. Mind you I only plan in renting during the resort priority window, which guarantees me a profit no matter what points I'm renting. I will never rent via David's if I can't at least cover the total cost of the points, unless I happen to be in a pinch.

For some of us renting is a way to:
  • Justify keeping our contracts during a break from the mouse
  • Justify keeping a contract that is grandfathered for perks
  • Own a contract that we might not otherwise have purchased (like this east coaster who owns at AUL and GCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
With Beach Club points approaching $160.00 factored over the useful life of the contract and CURRENT maintenance fee of $6.44.....the cost to own these points is $13.00 per point...Owning to rent your points out is no longer such a great financial decision. IMHO

Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
Honestly, buying Beach Club at $160 at all right now is a bit of a questionable financial decision. I'd probably rent to get home resort priority at BCV before buying a contract at that price. But the equation changes a lot when you look at SSR for $90/point with 12 more years on the contract.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #28
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Honestly, buying Beach Club at $160 at all right now is a bit of a questionable financial decision. I'd probably rent to get home resort priority at BCV before buying a contract at that price. But the equation changes a lot when you look at SSR for $90/point with 12 more years on the contract.
If you want BCV and only BCV......Then you need to buy BCV.

25 years left is still a long time to go. If I was buying BCV so my kids could use the pools, if they were 6 now, at the end they will be 31. I doubt they will still be vacationing the same way and style as of today.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
I suspect that the average cost per point per year is somewhere between 8 and 11 (heck CCV is near 11, and it is brand new). If you've owned for more than around 5 years it is probably between 6 and 9.
Yep! We bought in 2008 and our current cost per point is about $7.50. We use every point we own, but we could make quite a profit at current rental prices!
Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #30
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
Yep! We bought in 2008 and our current cost per point is about $7.50. We use every point we own, but we could make quite a profit at current rental prices!
My SSR points are currently valued at ($5.86 + $.79) = $6.65 per point......I am loving it!

My VGF points are valued at ($6.13 + $2.90) = $9.03 per point.

My BLT points are valued at ($5.92 + $2.1) = $8.02 per point.

If you buy CCV right now, you are looking at ($7.26 + $3.64) = $10.9 per point.