home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
crushturtle
Grand Villa

Default Resort only Stay, no park visit, why do you do?

So, my wife and I are planning for a WDW trip and plan only to use the resorts. We will not be going to the parks. Looking for suggestions on what you would do for a resort only stay?
crushturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
John_B_Hall
Studio

We usually hit Kennedy Space Center.
John_B_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

DAy at Seaworld is cheap. Spend time at Disney Springs. Pool time. MAybe do the Hoop Dee Doo or Luau. Eat at an AKL venue so we can look at animals. Could take DVC tour of new RR rooms. Go to TOTWL to see fireworks.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Fantasia mini golf is fun! I would also hop over to AKL to spend some time animal watching. What time of year are you planning to travel?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
starry_solo
Two Bedroom

So, the first three days of one of our 14-night trips was a resort-only stay. We were lucky to get AKV-Concierge for the first three nights so yay!

We ended up exploring Disney Springs and various other resorts (POR, POFQ, SSR, CBR, and a few other ones)....mainly we spent it exploring other resorts, seeing what other items to eat (lunch since concierge at AKV doesn't really have a lunch offering) and ate lunch at POFQ and SSR (the little club down the stairs, I forgot what it was called, Chip & Dale's?) and traded pins (we collect pins). We also took a tour of DVC one day for the $50 GC.
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

When I'm doing a non-park trip, I get a savannah view studio at AKV and I could spend all day just sitting on my balcony watching the animals. For a break, I'll do an activity at the resort. AKV has the best selection of resort activities. Last time I went, there was a culinary tour at Boma and Jiko, and one at Sanaa. There were tours of both lobbies, ceramics painting and jewelry making in the community hall. They also had cookie decorating, but I missed that.
Disney Springs is an option, as well as renting surrey bikes (not at AKV, though).
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Two words: resort hop. Each resort has a variety of entertainment/recreation activities, many of them at little/no additional cost.

BRV owners since 2009

First trip: Nov 76 at PVR for my 8th birthday
Last trip: Jul 19 at AKV with all my grandchildren (4 girls)
Next trip: Oct 19 at SSR for DVC MM at TL

Moonlight Magic: AK x2, MK x2, Epcot x2, DHS, and TL
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
AnnaS
Grand Villa

I have done it twice.

Once I was with my daughter and her friend. They did their thing and I was more or less solo. We did meet up here and there for a meal.

Second time I was with hubby -

We usually spend time at the resort/pool. We will go out for the evening and have dinner at a resort (Kidani, Jambo, Poly come to mind). We will browse/shop/dinner, ice cream/entertainment at DS one or two nights. Another night or two might be the Boardwalk area for same. One night we had dinner and drinks at the TOWL (viewed fireworks). I have also done the free culinary tour at Boma/Jiko.

If the weather does not cooperate, we will go out for lunch at another resort. We also took a ride to Vero Beach for the day w/friends.

There are many things (already mentioned above) to do outside of Disney too - We took a last minute, much needed to relax trip and it was perfect for us.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
E2ME2
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushturtle View Post
So, my wife and I are planning for a WDW trip and plan only to use the resorts. We will not be going to the parks. Looking for suggestions on what you would do for a resort only stay?
We do this every 3rd year ( We stretch an AP over 2 calendar years, going Late-Jan in year 1, and Early-Jan in year 2, and No-Park Tix in Year 3).
We spend time at DS (Movies, Restaurants, The VOID, and now there's the NBA thing) Outlet Shopping, Resort-Hopping, DVC Tours of featured Rooms (Did CC Cabins last trip), AKL to watch animals, and we did the Boma/Jiko Tasting Tour a couple times! We also belong to Landry's Select, and we get our B-Day rewards in January, so that's 2 nights at a Landry's Restaurant (They just opened a new steakhouse next door to their seafood house, which is really close to SSR). Also found a nice Comics & Games store in Kissimmee which could occupy a day of your visit if you're into that sort of thing. The trip prior, we spent time checking out RV parks, and 55+ communities. And there's always GOLF - lots of courses in the area! We enjoy our Park-Less Trips!

Last edited by E2ME2; 09-02-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: omission
E2ME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
The Crusher
Studio

We do the obvious......pool time, Disney Springs, mini golf, resort hop. But we recently went bass fishing. There’s a DVC discount and you can get a boat, with gear, bait and a guide, at a number of locations. We got our boat at the dock behind the Contemporary. For the price of a sub par WDW table service meal for 2, you can spend 2+ hours on the water with cold drinks (no booze) on board and have a very nice time of it. We will do it again.