home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #21
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcur77 View Post
Yeah I am about the same from TTN but after all the add ons Frontier is not as good of a deal as SW. Also due to multiple issues we now have $1500 in credits with Southwest so we are covered for a while.
Yep .. i started with a round trip airfare on Frontier of $115, about $80 cheaper than SWA. But after bags, seats, the difference wasn't enough for me to pick them over SWA, despite the closer proximity of TTN vs. PHL. The lack of available flight to / from TTN stinks ...

Where in Central NJ? I live up in Hunterdon County (so North of Trenton)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #22
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it![/quote]

I didn't mind terminal A. It was old but it was small enough to negotiate easily. I despise terminal C after they "upgraded" it and put bars in the middle of the walkways and took out the people movers. Now, not only do I have to walk a mile or two to my gate but I have to dodge everyone else with luggage, strollers, etc. trying to walk around the bars/restaurants in the middle!
Of course, now that I think about it, it's just getting me prepared for WDW!

I agree that it's probably a cost savings. Wonder if SW will come back when they complete the new updated terminal?[/quote]

When I travel for work I almost exclusively use United out of EWR. Just the number of available flights .. i actually LOVE the bars in the middle of C!! BUT I am traveling solo and usually am not in a rush. I do agree .. it is BIG!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #23
oufpat
Two Bedroom

I'm happy to say that I received an email from Southwest today that they refunded my flight. Think I'll stick with JetBlue.
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcur77 View Post
It seemed to me they were no longer flying direct to MCO from EWR so this isn't as big a deal as it could have been. Living in central NJ PHL is only a few minutes further so we have flown out of there our last few trips and looks like that will continue

Yep, exactly. Much bigger deal when there were direct nonstop flights available (albeit very few).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it!

Quite true, canít say Iíll miss that shitty terminal at all.

Just hope the lack of competition doesnít suddenly mean higher fares out of Philadelphia...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #25
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Yep, exactly. Much bigger deal when there were direct nonstop flights available (albeit very few).

Quite true, canít say Iíll miss that shitty terminal at all.

Just hope the lack of competition doesnít suddenly mean higher fares out of Philadelphia...
Now if southwest wants to just fly to Orlando, LA, LV, Chicago, and Boston from Atlantic City they'd probably not lose all that much money compared to their EWR schedule with other airports close by. But thanks to Spirit I must drive past ACY on my way to any other location.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #26
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Now if southwest wants to just fly to Orlando, LA, LV, Chicago, and Boston from Atlantic City they'd probably not lose all that much money compared to their EWR schedule with other airports close by. But thanks to Spirit I must drive past ACY on my way to any other location.

Atlantic City actually a bit further for me than Philadelphia (or Newark), but Iíd be good with Southwest flying out of there... or preferably Trenton. Another even somewhat local option would be excellent.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #27
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I've flown Jet Blue a few times out of EWR, but it's been a few years. Don't they have decent prices and a good number of flights?

It is indeed a crappy terminal, though. I think it looks the same as it did when I flew through EWR on Eastern in the 1970s!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
disneyyes
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I'd bet that Southwest would fill every seat on every flight to Orlando if they would fly from ABE / Allentown...
disneyyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
BoardwalkNJ
One Bedroom

Not surprising at all. NJ is not a big Southwest market. NJ prefer JetBlue and legacy carriers. Most of the MCO flights I was on were half full at most. Meanwhile, JetBlue flights are consistently full out of EWR.

Hopefully JetBlue is able to get these three gates and dramatically expand their presence at EWR. Flights to LAS, LAX, SFO would be wonderful.
BoardwalkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #30
BoardwalkNJ
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyyes View Post
I'd bet that Southwest would fill every seat on every flight to Orlando if they would fly from ABE / Allentown...
Considering that their flights from PHL have been cut dramatically because they don't want to compete in the greater Philly area, their chances of full flights just 75 minutes away from PHL are about 0. ABE and PHL are two markets that overlap for the most part.
BoardwalkNJ is offline   Reply With Quote